PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DEHP8MP and poor am reception

johnpy2
10-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Title pretty much says it. I've got the Pioneer DEH P8MP head unit, running the XM radio adapter, and the iPod connector module (both Pioneer, or at least made for this unit). Everything works great (the iPod interface is a little limited, but that's life). Anyway, the AM radio reception is non-existent. Not exaggerating, this is no reception at all, if you push seek, it goes around and around the frequency spectrum with nothing but hiss. If I manually tune to local strong stations, I get nothing.

The people who installed it said that this is a GM issue (this is installed in a 2001 Buick LeSabre), and something about interference between the XM unit and AM reception/antenna in the GM.

So, I'm not stupid, but I'm no expert either. Is there something I can do, besides ask them to replace the HU? You know, I only want the AM for one thing, and that's sports (football and basketball games) when I'm driving around.

Any help appreciated, and I'm glad to be here!

ngsm13
10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
There is no such thing as an AM antenna for vehicles.

:fyi:

nG

JimJ
10-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Most aftermarket decks have terrible radio tuners in them - because most people are looking for CD performance.

Real simple way to check to see if it's the XM unit - pull that out and see if it still does it. How far are you away from the local AM transmitters? You should be at least getting 20 miles or so in groundwave coverage during the day.

JimJ
10-24-2006, 12:15 AM

nG

Really?

:naughty:

johnpy2
10-24-2006, 12:27 AM
OK, so, can something be interfering with the AM reception (regardless of whether there is an AM antenna or not).....................

nG