PDA

View Full Version : Need help with system.

terminal206
10-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse that I am about to put a system in. I can't make up my mind on what I want, so I thought I would ask everyone on here what they think is best.

I am thinking of doing two things. The first choice is to do a complete Alpine Install (speakers, subs, head unit) and my second choice is to do a complete Eclipse install. I was wondering what you guys would go with? I know Eclipse Head units are great, so that is in their favor. But I already have two 12 inch Type R subs that I am not using that could be put in the car, and have an Alpine IVA-D300 In-dash in my F150, so I know that Alpine's units are good solid head units also.

If money doesn't matter, what would you guys pick? Alpine or Eclipse?

seth350
10-23-2006, 09:50 PM
bump for you...

seth350
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
bump for you

Bspeltback
10-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Mhm...I'd go with Eclipse.

PremierAudio
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
If money did not matter, do an all Rainbow system with the Reference line, and the Kraftwerk amps! But even if you are on a budget, Rainbow has some amazing stuff at a economical price! They will blow anything alpine away along with eclipse.

kublkmax
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
I would have to ask why do you want a sytem that is totally consist of those 2 brands? I think you will doing your self a diservice if you did that. I would recommend that you use your type r's that is just money that you don't have to spend on new subs and you can direct those funds towrds other areas of your system. What is your goal with this car? Are you planning on doing any video? You say if money where not issue but money is always an issue what is your budget. If you want us to help you we need more information from you. We could suggest things all day long but if they don't fit your needs than what is the point. But in short I would vote against an all alpine or eclipse set up. use some of there stuff but not all.

DejaWiz
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
even if you are on a budget, Rainbow has some amazing stuff at a economical price! They will blow anything alpine away along with eclipse.

The budet line of Rainbow comps don't hold a candle to the Type X and F#1 Status comps, imo. Many will disagree with me, because Rainbow is one of the forum boners right now. :p:

seth350
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I know this guy personally, and he really wants to stick to "name brand" products. Well, rather main stream name brands. Hes more into SQ and when he says "if money wasnt an issue" he just means whats the best.

He would just like it all to match, alpine h/u, alpine amps, alpine subs, alpine speakers, etc. for sponsership reasonings.

kublkmax
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
perhaps he should have stated that was his goal and we could be more informative for him. If that is the case I would say roll with eclipse. Unless he is going to jump off into the F1 status stuff or the type X comps. although i do like the looks of the the new alpine PDX amps or what ever they are called the ones you can stack. I have not looked to there performance not something I would run in my car but I am curious to see how they rate.

joshs98runner
10-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Alpine seems to have a good line up in their higher end comp speakers, they also make good decks for pretty respectable SQ. From what I read around here Eclipse has one of the better SQ setups as far as decks go, but not as strong of a backround in comp speakers vs. Alpine...If you are stuck on one brand or the other then I would choose Alpine because their decks are still great and their higher end comps are a much more popular choice for good SQ...my opinion is based from what I read around here. Because I have never personally heard a better set of Eclipse Comps in person, my opinion may be biased toward the popular type R/X line up from Alpine.

seth350
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Hes looking at the Eclipse AVX2494 double din unit right now, but we couldnt find a price last night, not even on ebay.

But I say go with an eclipse h/u and get alpine comps and maybe amps. I have never heard anyone talk about Alpines amps, although I have never really looked for a review either.
Or maybe you could look into Rainbow comps, Idk how they stack up to the typex/f1s but Ive heard good things about them.

In the end, we can sit here all day and tell you what we think you should do but its you whos going to be listening to it everyday so do what you think is best man.

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Seth, you mentioned he's wanting a brand-matching system for sponsorship reasons. Has he ever been sponsored before?

seth350
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Seth, you mentioned he's wanting a brand-matching system for sponsorship reasons. Has he ever been sponsored before?

No he hasn't, I personally dont understand how getting sponsered works or how you would, Ive never read up on it but thats what he wants to do is get sponsered by Alpine and Infinity

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
In all reality, odds are slim to none that your friends will get a sponsorship, even if he buys all the products out of his own pocket up front. There's about a 99% chance the company will say, "Hey! Thanks for buying our products!" and make it very clear where the exit door is.

Usually one would want to seek and get a sponsorship first, then get products at discounted or zero cost second. That's how sponsorships generally work: seeks funds first, gets products second.

seth350
10-26-2006, 10:05 AM
In all reality, odds are slim to none that your friends will get a sponsorship, even if he buys all the products out of his own pocket up front. There's about a 99% chance the company will say, "Hey! Thanks for buying our products!" and make it very clear where the exit door is.

Usually one would want to seek and get a sponsorship first, then get products at discounted or zero cost second. That's how sponsorships generally work: seeks funds first, gets products second.

Thats what I was thinking too but thats what he wanted so I didnt say anything.

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I think you should convey this to your friend so a strong sense reality is maintained. Companies like Alpine and Infinity only have so much budgeted for sponsorships. He might get lucky. But on the flip side he will have to meet contractual obligations of plastering decals and stickers all over his car and making x amount of show appearances anually. If he can not meet these obligations, he might risk losing all the products or have to pay for them (which from the sound of it is something he's willing to anyway).

Just some friendly advice and food for thought. ;)

seth350
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I will tell him. Actually we are going today to get a quote on some fiberglassing from a buddy of mine.

He has always said he would more than happily go to the car shows and the stickers are not a problem. I had always thought the traveling and having to spend the money on traveling would get outageous. So its almost not worth it, you can either spend the money that you would have spent on the equipment on gas to get to all of those shows or go ahead and spend it on the equipment and not have to travel all the time.

/epitome

PremierAudio
10-26-2006, 11:40 AM
The budet line of Rainbow comps don't hold a candle to the Type X and F#1 Status comps, imo. Many will disagree with me, because Rainbow is one of the forum boners right now. :p:

That wasnt ment to be worded like that. Rainbows budget line i.e. their soundlines have amazing sound for their price. Dollar for Dollar, Alpine cant hold a candle to Rainbow. I have personally tested all the Alpine components and Rainbows except their Reference ( which is actually coming next week), and to my ears and numerous others, the census is Rainbow all the way.

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
That wasnt ment to be worded like that. Rainbows budget line i.e. their soundlines have amazing sound for their price. Dollar for Dollar, Alpine cant hold a candle to Rainbow. I have personally tested all the Alpine components and Rainbows except their Reference ( which is actually coming next week), and to my ears and numerous others, the census is Rainbow all the way.

I can agree with that, hence is why I stated in my post "IMO". The way speakers sound is all subjective, afterall.

Notwerk
10-26-2006, 12:36 PM
If you were to go all one brand, Alpine is probably the way to go. But he shouldn't count on getting a sponsership.

As for Eclipse, having owned their old ones, I don't find that there's much of an "SQ" difference and found it vastly inferior the Alpine I later replaced it with. In addition, most (I noticed they changed this on their lower models) don't have removable faceplates. They feature "ESN" security, which means that if it's stolen in the first year, Eclipse will replace the deck. After that, you're screwed. There is a keylocking/serial number system that's supposed to help you get the deck back, but there's a fat chance of that happening.

I never understood that: Yes, the thief gets a useless deck, but you're still out a stereo. And its not like the thief is going to mail it back to you. He'll probably throw it in the trash. My brother's Eclipse was stolen. Still no sign of it 4 years later. ESN is pretty much the dumbest idea in car stereo. I'd avoid Eclipse altogether.

If you want to go the featureless, "all-out SQ" route, get a Denon or a Clarion 9 series and at least have something exclusive.

Pioneer Premier might also be worth considering for a one-brand solution.

seth350
10-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah that ESN security doesnt sound worth a dime.
So your saying the Alpines have better SQ than Eclipse?
And I can almost garuntee he wont go with an all Premier system

Notwerk
10-26-2006, 12:47 PM
"SQ" doesn't come from your head unit. Buy the headunit that has the best selection of features and appearance that meet your needs, i.e. crossovers, addons (satellite radio, iPod, nav, etc), time alignment, and whatever other soundprocessing features you are looking for.

"SQ" comes from speaker selection and good install -- not amps, head units, and wiring.

I think of all the one-brand companies, Alpine's Type-X speakers are far and away the best, so if you're really stuck on going one-brand, and you want good SQ, I'd go to the brand that makes the best drivers. That is Alpine. Their amps and head-units aren't bad, either (though individually, there is better).

seth350
10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Ahhh I see...
Yeah I was wanting some Type-Xs for my truck but the depth on them is holding me back.

Notwerk
10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Look at the Polk SRs, similar tweeter based on the Vifa XT ring-dome radiator as the Type-X. Different mid, but the depth is a bit easier, if I recall correctly. ;)

seth350
10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Look at the Polk SRs, similar tweeter based on the Vifa XT ring-dome radiator as the Type-X. Different mid, but the depth is a bit easier, if I recall correctly. ;)

spudracer326
10-26-2006, 01:20 PM

I have owned both and I can confidently say that the rainbow slc's sound better then the type x's by a lot...imo the type x's sound like poo, think infinity refrence...(Ive owned two sets)...the f#1 is a different story though....

spudracer326
10-26-2006, 01:22 PM
ohh and imo he should get the best he can afford and not worry about brands...all brands have there strong products and weaker products..if your interested I have a set of rainbow Germaniums forsale....pm me if interested...

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I have owned both and I can confidently say that the rainbow slc's sound better then the type x's by a lot...imo the type x's sound like poo,

Again, this is subject to what each of us want out of our speakers.

I was fortunate enough to audition many component sets before settling on the Type X. I never found a local dealer with the X's on demo, but I did run across a guy with a set in his Accord that I got to listen to. I wasn't looking for a necessarily loud speaker (although the Type X's with 100w rms per side can get loud), I was looking for good presence of midbass, smooth and nonharsh tweets, and a very natural sound emittance. Not to forget that the passive xovers included are some of the most versatile on the market regardless of price range.

For a budget up to about $200, it's my opinion that there is no greater comp set than the Type X's for fulfilling the desire for superb SQ. This is going to depend and vary on the intall, however.

Now, if one can extend that budget by around $100 and is looking for profoundly sweet midbass, then I'd be so inclined to say the SLC 265 Kick's would be the better option, IMO.

seth350
10-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok, thanks for all the help. BTW, what are the SLC 265s??
Is that Kicker?
And the way you described the Type-Xs, they sound like just the comps I need. Although again the depth is holding me back. They are too deep by .8", but Im sure I could get a baffle made of mdf and they would clear just fine. Still, my door panel worries me because there is a grill in front of the speaker.

DejaWiz
10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok, thanks for all the help. BTW, what are the SLC 265s??
Is that Kicker?
And the way you described the Type-Xs, they sound like just the comps I need. Although again the depth is holding me back. They are too deep by .8", but Im sure I could get a baffle made of mdf and they would clear just fine. Still, my door panel worries me because there is a grill in front of the speaker.

Nope, the SLC 265's are Rainbow.

And if you can fit the Type X's in there with a baffle, awesome.

seth350
10-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help! Sorry I haven't responded for the last couple of days, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to do his research before he talks so he has a better chance of not making himself look like an idiot. Anyway, after looking at what everyone has to say I have come up with the following VERY original idea... ;) What do all of you think of me doing a rainbow speaker install with a Eclipse headunit? Like seth350 said, I am more about SQ than SPL so quality speakers are important to me, and I love the Eclipse deck he mentioned I was looking at, so I figured why not get both?

As far as sponsorships go I don't honestly expect to get sponsored because of my speaker set-up alone. I am redoing everything about the Eclipse (right now it is stripped down to just metal everywhere) and when I get done with it it should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 - 500 horsepower. It will get a custom paint job and interior with MOMO accessories, as well as a completely rebuilt motor and all other performance parts, so when it comes to getting sponsored I am relying on the car as a whole to get my sponsorships for me. I know the chances are still not too good, but they are better than just a stock car with a good system. But I forgot to mention that little fact when I first posted...

terminal206
10-27-2006, 03:12 PM
LOL.. sorry about that, seth350's last post was actually me... he used my computer last night and didn't log out. I wasn't paying any attention and just posted as him. Don't want any confusion. :laugh:

6spdcoupe
10-29-2006, 01:25 AM
If money did not matter, do an all Rainbow system with the Reference line, and the Kraftwerk amps!.

Im sorry, but who in their right mind would pair up such a combination? Have you ever actually used/seen/installed the Kraftwerks?