PDA

View Full Version : i need guidance

maldecido33
10-23-2006, 08:41 PM
i have a two dayton 1 1/8" tweeters, and two dayton 5 1/4" woofers, in proper enclosures properly crossed over

im a complete newbie to home audio. how do I power these? im very familiar with car audio, so i'm gonna try to relate this to car audio

How do I use my laptop as my "headunit", IE my source for the music? do I need a power supply or amp?

basically I have an enclosure with speakers, and a laptop. how do I make these equal music? i don't really want a reciever, don't have the room for one.

JimJ
10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
i don't really want a reciever, don't have the room for one.

You need some kind of integrated amp...Parts Express sells a 15Wx2 chip amplifier that comes in a little case with a volume knob, sounds like what you need. Then, all you'd need is a 1/8" stereo-to-RCA adapter cable to hook your laptop to it.

JimJ
10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952

Fits your needs just fine.

maldecido33
10-23-2006, 09:22 PM
That'll sufficiently power those? the tweets are 50wrms, midwoofers are 30wrms.

or is home audio different from car audio in that insane amounts of power are unecessary? or would I need one of those per enclosure?

JimJ
10-27-2006, 01:43 PM
That'll sufficiently power those?

You said you didn't want a receiver :)

or is home audio different from car audio in that insane amounts of power are unecessary?

To a point, yes...my living room system shakes the windows with 8W per side, but I'm running speakers that are a bit more efficient than what you'd be doing ;)

joetama
10-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Basically the question should be how much can you spend?

Flipx99
10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
You said you didn't want a receiver :)

To a point, yes...my living room system shakes the windows with 8W per side, but I'm running speakers that are a bit more efficient than what you'd be doing ;)

I would love to know how to do that. I have been researching all **** day and about the best I can come up with is a Seas L18 / TANG BAND 28-847S combination with that silly Dayton crossover.

JimJ
10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I would love to know how to do that. I have been researching all **** day and about the best I can come up with is a Seas L18 / TANG BAND 28-847S combination with that silly Dayton crossover.

In the case of the Klipsch's, it's horn loaded compression drivers :D

High efficiency has its own drawbacks, though...I get a bit of hum from the amplifiers, that wouldn't be as noticeable with lower-eff speaks...