PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Vifa ring radiator tweeter?

aeronautica86
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
The speakers I have in my home 2-channel setup use this type of tweeter: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-555
and I was curious if anyone here has used this type of tweeter for a car audio application. I know they are rather large for in-car use, but I figured someone might have tried them. My reason for asking is that the speakers I use in the house are perfectly suited to my listening tastes and I was hoping to recreate as much of that as possible in the car. These tweeters sound amazing in my home audio speakers, giving them very smooth, airy and warm highs without losing any detail.

atoz350
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I have not heard these tweeters yet, but since you have them in your home setup you know what they sound like. There is a small format version of them that would be better suited for car use. Here you go:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8547317.4404&pid=2124

cd6551
10-23-2006, 08:25 PM
I have them in my car and I love them. They are my favorite tweeter Ive used so far

aeronautica86
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I have them in my car and I love them. They are my favorite tweeter Ive used so far

any pics on how you have them mounted?

cd6551
10-23-2006, 08:44 PM
ill get some in a min for you

cd6551
10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/2274/im000685vh5.th.jpg (http://img302.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000685vh5.jpg) there ya go

aeronautica86
10-24-2006, 01:23 AM
mmm ****; what kind of crossover are you using? I'm thinking about using an audiobahn 3-way electronic crossover so I can still just use one amp for the midbass/mids/highs rather than using a 6-channel or three 2-channels for them in an active setup

~Magick_Man~
10-24-2006, 01:30 AM
you would have to use a passive crossover to run the different sets of speakers off of 2 channels of amplification
an electronic crossover devides up the signal before it is amplified and therefor needs multiple channels of amplification to power all the different speakers.
but passive crossovers split up the signal after it has been amplified so you only need one channel of amplification per side.

if that doesnt make sense let me know and i will try to explain it better.

~Magick_Man~

azbass
10-24-2006, 01:33 AM
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/2274/im000685vh5.th.jpg (http://img302.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000685vh5.jpg) there ya go

er your pods got some birthmarks on it

ngsm13
10-24-2006, 01:41 AM
The vifa XT25's extend pretty low, why would you want a 3-way front stage when using them? I'd just recommend a 2-way front stage + sub... so 3-way setup. Some higher end HU's have this capability built in.

nG

cd6551
10-24-2006, 07:14 AM
er your pods got some birthmarks on it

yea I just kinda threw them on the door for now. Im going to refinish them later

aeronautica86
10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
you would have to use a passive crossover to run the different sets of speakers off of 2 channels of amplification
an electronic crossover devides up the signal before it is amplified and therefor needs multiple channels of amplification to power all the different speakers.
but passive crossovers split up the signal after it has been amplified so you only need one channel of amplification per side.

if that doesnt make sense let me know and i will try to explain it better.

~Magick_Man~

****, I didn't know that; thanks for the heads up though

The vifa XT25's extend pretty low, why would you want a 3-way front stage when using them? I'd just recommend a 2-way front stage + sub... so 3-way setup. Some higher end HU's have this capability built in.

I mainly wanted to do it because the next car I get will have 3-way comps in the front anyway (5.25", 4", and tweeter - not sure of exact tweeter size) so I figured I might as well use all of the available space. I did want to use a speaker bigger than 5.25 for the midbass though, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze some 6.5" in there. The main things that is important to me though are good sound and not altering the stock appearance of the door panels in any way. If I can I'll just put in a 6.5" and the vifa tweeter in the stock locations an be done with it, though it looks as though I'll need an external crossover since I can't find any amps with high enough high pass crossovers

Flipx99
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I have found some pyramid 3 way passive crossovers...but when you go with passive, you kind have to match the equipment to the crossover, you don't exactly get to go with your choice.

I bet these would work well with that a/d/s crossover posted last week.

ngsm13
10-24-2006, 01:29 PM
****, I didn't know that; thanks for the heads up though

I mainly wanted to do it because the next car I get will have 3-way comps in the front anyway (5.25", 4", and tweeter - not sure of exact tweeter size) so I figured I might as well use all of the available space. I did want to use a speaker bigger than 5.25 for the midbass though, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze some 6.5" in there. The main things that is important to me though are good sound and not altering the stock appearance of the door panels in any way. If I can I'll just put in a 6.5" and the vifa tweeter in the stock locations an be done with it, though it looks as though I'll need an external crossover since I can't find any amps with high enough high pass crossovers

Look into something like a Pioneer Premier P880PRS HU, it has an active xover built into it.

nG

GordonW
10-24-2006, 04:17 PM
IMHO, Vifa DX25 (ie, hybrid dome/ring) = FTW, Vifa/Scan Speak XT series = FTL. Never heard a pair of XTs that actually sounded completely "natural" with music. And I've heard them in $10000+ home speakers, built by big-name designers...

They were a big fad with DIY speaker builders a few years ago... but it's interesting how virtually NOBODY is using them now, in those circles, compared to then...

Regards,
Gordon.

aeronautica86
10-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Look into something like a Pioneer Premier P880PRS HU, it has an active xover built into it.

nG

I've heard about that HU alot around here, but having just looked at it online, there's no way I'd be happy with it in my car; I really need a black case, but that pioneer definately has a clean look. Are there any (black face) Alpines or other Pioneers that have this ability?

aeronautica86
10-24-2006, 07:16 PM
IMHO, Vifa DX25 (ie, hybrid dome/ring) = FTW, Vifa/Scan Speak XT series = FTL. Never heard a pair of XTs that actually sounded completely "natural" with music. And I've heard them in $10000+ home speakers, built by big-name designers...

They were a big fad with DIY speaker builders a few years ago... but it's interesting how virtually NOBODY is using them now, in those circles, compared to then...

Regards,
Gordon.

Can you explain in more detail the sonic differences you've noticed between systems utilizing the DX series tweeters vs the XT series tweeters?