PDA

View Full Version : box website

iiixtremeiii
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I wanted to know how accurate this website is for designing a ported box.
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp

Im planning on designing a box and wanted to know how good this website was for making the plans.
Thanks in advance

nVRuckus
10-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I did a couple sample boxes and they dont look quite right to me. it makes totally unrealistic port sizes and leave no room to actually mount the sub LOL. a 4cuft box with 400sqin or port area is sick.

baseballer1100
10-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Most of mine worked for me.

Tempe
10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
I did a couple sample boxes and they dont look quite right to me. it makes totally unrealistic port sizes and leave no room to actually mount the sub LOL. a 4cuft box with 400sqin or port area is sick.

It only takes a few parameters into account to do this. I think it's mostly based on tuning frequency, sub diameter, and sub quantity. It sometimes gives me too much port area. Simply falsify the xmax to a smaller number. Adjust it until you get the port area you want.

Tempe

Bake
10-23-2006, 08:03 PM
You can download Winisd, The free version works fine. It is pretty easy to work with once you spend a few minutes playing around with it.

disturbedfuel15
10-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Thats the program I used to build my last box. I've yet to test it, since my sub isn't here yet :( It's nice how they tell you the exact cuts you need to make though, saves a lot of time!

gsxrjjordan
10-25-2006, 04:27 AM
+1 for WinISD - mapping/designing is great, plus the database is suprisingly complete, and you can find T/S parameters for any speaker out there. lol I remember playing around converting metric to inches for hours before I figured out how to do it in-program... good times :)

Pyro_By_Nature
10-25-2006, 05:42 AM
It's a POS. . . . enough said.

disturbedfuel15
10-25-2006, 08:34 AM
It's a POS. . . . enough said.

I'll agree to disagree. Atleast you actually spelled "enough." Seems to be the cool thing to do nowadays to just say, "nuff said," and it has always pissed me off :eek:

nVRuckus
10-25-2006, 08:43 AM
It only takes a few parameters into account to do this. I think it's mostly based on tuning frequency, sub diameter, and sub quantity. It sometimes gives me too much port area. Simply falsify the xmax to a smaller number. Adjust it until you get the port area you want.

Tempe

now if he is using this site he is not a box design pro which means he wont know what too much port area is. I personally dont need this to design boxes, I was just testing it out for the OP

Flipx99
10-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I use it and it works out fine in my applications...gives about 16 sqin per cf.

xluben
10-25-2006, 12:27 PM

Tempe

this is the best response i've seen so far. if you know what you want (box size, tuning, and port area) you can manipulate the site to give you something pretty good. for that situation it is accurate, and works fairly well.

if you want it to actually design the box for you i wouldn't recommend it.

nVRuckus
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
I use it and it works out fine in my applications...gives about 16 sqin per cf.

really? I got a 4cuft box with 400sqin of port area LOL doesnt seem like 16sqin to me LMAO. it should be about 16sqin per cube

Flipx99
10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
I guess it depends on the subs...when I used it for 1 12" SSD 33@2.5, it worked out well. I guess when if you went for some real high xmax subs or something odd, it may throw the program off.

Flipx99
10-25-2006, 03:55 PM
A place I do not reccomend is

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/dual_chamber.htm

I tried using it to make an ABC box. The one part is .969 GROSS.

13.5*13.5*9.17...I guess...seems kinda small.

xluben
10-25-2006, 05:46 PM
really? I got a 4cuft box with 400sqin of port area LOL doesnt seem like 16sqin to me LMAO. it should be about 16sqin per cube

what parameters did you enter?

for that site:

more xmax = more port area
higher tuning = more port area

i just tried a box for two 12's (round), 4 ft^3 tuned to 45Hz with 40mm xmax

and gives me just under 200in^2 of port :)

i don't see how it could have given you that much port area.

the way to use it is like this:

need to know:
width
height
driver's being used
desired volume
desired tuning
port area you think you want (need to know what you're doing)

enter all the stuff, and fool with the xmax to get the port area you'd like.

if it comes up with something funky (labyrinth port or funny shaped box) you can also play with the box volume/tuning/xmax to get something that looks nice (small changes can make all the difference).

overall i think it's good if you know what you are looking for and basically want a cutsheet :)