PDA

View Full Version : inverting L7 in a truck

mutt_hollon
10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok i have a s-10 and i was about to make a new box for my L7. i was going to fire the sub and port up but i was wanting a diff. look. has anyone ever inverted (magnit up) a L7, if so how did it sound. and also would this sound ok with sub and port up in a truck or does it matter.....

also do i have to make a new box plan if i turn the magnet up...thanks guys

hasa68mustang
10-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I had 2 boxes behind the seat of my truck and they sounded best with the ports facing the doors. As for the L7 It shouldnt matter if its inverted or not, as long as the box it built properly. Box plans I am THINKING it would be better to make the box a tad smaller (whatever the sub volume is) and that woudl make up for the space. I think somone with more experience may be able to help you more.

Mitch86
10-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Only difference in the box would be that you wont have to account for subwoofer displacement within the box. so you could get away with a smaller box...probably not a huge help though. As far as sound goes, I have no experience there...

linvillegorge
10-22-2006, 11:52 PM
There's be no difference in the sound. The only difference would be box volume as you wouldn't have the sub's displacement. It won't make a huge difference though.

mutt_hollon
10-23-2006, 01:28 AM
ok so would it keep my sub a bit cooler...im putting a bit too much power to it and that's why i was thinking of doing this.

and as for the port....would firing at the door be better that firing it up and roof...would you get better air flow by it going up...i dont know im a noob...this will be my first box

mutt_hollon
10-23-2006, 05:49 AM
anyone...will it keep is cooler and where is the best place to put the port

hasa68mustang
10-23-2006, 06:04 AM
anyone...will it keep is cooler and where is the best place to put the port

port placesment is all going to depend on the box and vehicle, I think you should try a coulple ways, as for cooling I cant see it helping all that much, because with the port theres always fresh air going in there...

disturbedfuel15
10-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Haha, it's not going to make your l7 any cooler by keeping it out of the box, unless you are into scientific testing values. Real life cooling performance will not be effected though. As for where to fire it... Unless someone else has the same truck as you, it's really where it sounds best for you. I know many people who swear by firing their subs toward the top of their trunk, and some who say the same about firing them at their back seats. Personally, I fire mine toward the back of my trunk. Again, you never know until you test. If you want it to sound best, you're going to have to try more than one way :)

mutt_hollon
10-23-2006, 08:06 AM
what have you heard about a truck....i dont have money to make a lot of boxes....i was just wanting to see what others thought and make a decision that way

PhatTonyDeMarco
10-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Sub firing up and port to the sides generally yeilds the most output in a truck cabin.