PDA

View Full Version : Alpine VS Infinity speakers.. having a little buyer's remorse

vincentp83
10-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I bought two pairs of 6.5" Alpine coaxial speakers on the recommendation of a few different people. Since I never have the time to drive out somewhere that I can actually hear speakers myself, I was trusting the words of experts. I actually finally got the chance to listen to these speakers today, and I thought they sounded great. However, just out of curiosity (I had a feeling I'd regret it), I switched the display to Infinity Reference speakers. Same size, same price, and they sounded a whole lot better :( I was a little dissapointed. Maybe I just needed to tweak the EQ on the HU a little bit, but all I'd heard about the Infinity Reference series said that the treble was harsh and the bass was not very good. Unfortunately after hearing them in person I have to disagree. I can't decide whether I'm picky enough to pay for an RMA on my Alpines and buy the Infinity's, or if I should just stick with what I have and enjoy them.

I didn't get a whole lot of time to listen to them, so maybe the difference isn't as bad as I thought. What do you people think of these speakers?

Spooby
10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Both are inexpensive and they aren't much different from each other. I don't really have a high opinion about either one of the brands of coaxials. In my situation they are slightly better than OEM and I'd only use them if one of my OEM speakers were busted.

MBrock4u
10-23-2006, 05:21 AM
LOL! For people that have the very high end stuff, I guess that would be the case. To comment on your situation though, Speakers are subjective to the listener. I used to have a set of infinity refs and I though they sounded good. I gave them to my bother when I upgraded. I like Alpine type S, but I run them for rear fill. Remember different speakers sound different. Doen't mean either or is a bad speaker. It depends on the type of sound you are looking for. When I put my Polk momo's in as front stage on my current system, I knew right away that was the sound I was looking for. It doesn't mean the speakers I had in there previously were bad. To me ther is nothing bad about the Alpine type S. Hope you enjoy them.

Pyro_By_Nature
10-23-2006, 05:27 AM
I've never been a fan of infinity speakers, and all I've heard HAVE been harsh IN CAR.They can trick you on a sound board ;)

I haven't heard the newest type S's, but the previous ones I'd take over the infinities in a heartbeat.

The wonderful thing about speakers, each set will bring to the table their own distinct sound.Kind of like beer. Everyone will have a slightly different taste in what they want in their "beer" (speakers).Variety is the spice of life.I wouldn't even think about the infinities, but go with what you feel is right.

XTRProBoy
10-23-2006, 10:36 PM
This is a perfect example of why you have to audition speakers in person, preferrably in car (try buying from a place that has a returns policy like Best Lie if possible) before you buy. Because speaker selection is a very subjective thing, you can't just trust the opinions of alleged "experts". Certainly a lot of people will know what's a decent speaker but when you're talking about speakers that are both competent in their price range, one person's opinion of speaker A over speaker B may be completely reversed in another person's opinion. In this case the first person was everybody you consulted, and the other person was you, lol.

If you like the Infinity speakers that much more I'd just swallow the return cost (I'm guessing it's some restocking fee?) on the Alpines and buy the Infniitys. If it isn't that big a difference to you just keep the Alpines.

If you ever think of buying new speakers in the future (either for an upgrade or another car) you should seriously look into hearing them before buying them.

MBrock4u
10-24-2006, 05:43 AM
EXactly!