PDA

View Full Version : 4" components

seg_representin
10-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Right now i have 4x6's in my doors but i can't play them as loud as i want to because they start to distort. I'm lookin to get some components but i don't think i can fit 6.5" because my stock speakers are 4x6. Do you think i could fit 5 1/4" speakers in this spot or do i have to put 4" speakers in it. Does anyone have any experience in this and can help me out? I really wanna upgrade.

DejaWiz
10-23-2006, 09:47 AM
You can get 5.25" adapters for 4x6 openings. I'd try to build them myself out of MDF, personally. Much better than plastic. If you have the depth and the room around the factory mounts, then yes, you can install 6.5's in there.

seg_representin
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Aight thanks. How would i go on building an adapter and what size MDF cuz 3/4" might be way to thick. should i just cut a piece thats the same size as the 4x6 and then cut a hole thats 5.25" in it?

DejaWiz
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Thickness will depend on how much room you have between the speaker mount point and door panel/grille. 1/4" might be a good starting point.

And yes, cut a piece that's the same size as the 4x6 and cut a 5.25" hole in it. You might get lucky and even be able to put a 6.5" in there afterall.

seg_representin
10-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Yea i'll get to it sometime....its cold as hell up here so i prolly won't take off the doors until i get a component set. Any ideas on what to get? I'm trying to stay within the 100 -150 dollar range. Or do i have to go more expensive to get better components. I don't really care if they are used i just want to get some good midbass from them. I would like them to be 5.25" though so i'm pretty sure they will fit.