PDA

View Full Version : Well I just got my SSCS6's Installed, and....(Review kinda)

kicker06
10-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I like them. Definetly an improvment over stock, but I just picked the car up 20 minutes ago from the shop where I got it installed and haven't fiddled with the settings.

Midbass -Right now, there is really no midbass (there is some, but its lacking big time), I'm guessing because he set the amp's high pass to high, at like 200hz, idk...

Tweeter -The tweeters are LOUD, they are titanium so they aren't smooth as silk, but with 10 minutes of tuning in the driveway, I've got them toned down a bit to an easier listening level.

The guy at the install shop told me, he wired them together (two SVC 4ohm speakers, wired down to 2 ohms on the bridged channel, which is 200x2 @ 4ohms). I am wondering, is this good or not? He had each speaker on its own channel (again, each channel bridged is 200wrms @ 4ohms) and he said it was so loud that they couldn't blend it in with the sub. So he switched to combine each speaker down to a 2ohm load. So idk what's going on there.

That's all I can think of, I need help with the 2ohm bridged load problem I talked about, if it is a problem.

dleccord
10-21-2006, 10:16 PM
lol so you're running mono?

Rc 415
10-21-2006, 10:20 PM
our amp is not stable at 2 ohms bridged, change it so each speaker is wired at 4 ohms.

kicker06
10-21-2006, 10:20 PM
I was going to run mono anyways, @ 4ohms though. So there would be 1 speaker on 1 channel and 1 on the other.

He wired both speakers together down to 2 ohms, and is running them bridged.

Will that hurt the amp?

kicker06
10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
our amp is not stable at 2 ohms bridged, change it so each speaker is wired at 4 ohms.

That is what I was just thinking.

Ok, well he will change it on Monday then.

GrnEydDvl
10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
200h is waaaay high for mids. Try 100hz or lower.

kicker06
10-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Well it's 80hz on the HU, but I'm not sure what it is on the amp, that was MY guess to why there was no/little midbass. Could be another reason, I do not know.

95stroked1500
10-21-2006, 11:11 PM
they mono'd the high's? that's just assanine.

check the xover on the amp. a single 80hz hp xover is all they need. make sure they are also in phase. as for being super loud and still staying clean, that part sounds right. for an overly bright tweeter, do they have any "loud" features engaged or any other "boosts" or "eq" functions?

to some people, they crank all these to the max and that's their definition of sounds good.

klepto
10-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Tune them down a bit, they should have amazing midbass, and they should also handle around 200wrms like a champ. just watch the gains and do some tuning.

jiggy2dmax
10-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Those are a really nice set of comps, but like with everything its in the install. First, I would see if you can set the amp X-over to flat and use your HU or vice-versa. Cross them at about 80-100. If its the Diamond running the set, although not ideal you can bridge it and run 200 to each side no problem. Also, are your doors deadened? Lastly, if you paid for the install, go back and let them do the above. You should get a quality install, its what you paid for.

kicker06
10-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Those are a really nice set of comps, but like with everything its in the install. First, I would see if you can set the amp X-over to flat and use your HU or vice-versa. Cross them at about 80-100. If its the Diamond running the set, although not ideal you can bridge it and run 200 to each side no problem. Also, are your doors deadened? Lastly, if you paid for the install, go back and let them do the above. You should get a quality install, its what you paid for.

Oh they said come back if you want anything fixed, which I definetly will let them do. Not deadened, but like I said, no midbass at all, I think the crossing on the amp is all messed up. We will see tomorrow.

95stroked1500
10-22-2006, 01:04 AM
just to clarify, mono'ing a 4 ch to a 2 ch is ok. but mono'ing the L and R speakers themselves into 1 ch is not.

alphakenny1
10-22-2006, 01:45 AM
yea you are correct. but if the dude said that he wired the mids to 2 ohms then it is mono. because the mids are not getting l/r. its just mono.

but anyways choose one crossover to work with. either use the amp or hu. i would use the hu highpass and turn off the xover on the amps. try 80hz on the high pass at like 12db/oct. then work from there.

kicker06
10-22-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't think you can turn off the x-over on the amp.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/millionbuy_1918_45428312

jiggy2dmax
10-22-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think you can turn off the x-over on the amp.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/millionbuy_1918_45428312

The two little switches that say HI, FULL, LOW, by setting it to FULL your taking the crossover off to speak. Then, use your HU as a X-over and play around with the settings a bit until you get the sound that you like.

kicker06
10-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Ok. That's what I want to do. I'm going to wait til Monday so they can fix it, because they warrenty it and it's their problem

So I will get them to switch it back to 4 ohm mono, set gains again, turn both switchs to full (meaning full range, or off) and we will see if that helps the midbass.

If it doesn't help the midbass, what else could it be?

jiggy2dmax
10-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok. That's what I want to do. I'm going to wait til Monday so they can fix it, because they warrenty it and it's their problem

So I will get them to switch it back to 4 ohm mono, set gains again, turn both switchs to full (meaning full range, or off) and we will see if that helps the midbass.

If it doesn't help the midbass, what else could it be?

It will help, by crossing at 200hz, your taking away ALL the midbass. BTW: Theirs nothing wrong with bridging that amp to run those comps, in all honesty, they'll need the power.

kicker06
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
That's what I said to him, but he was like, they couldn't balance it with the sub, it was too loud, that is why he did that. So the gains could probably be set lower.

I think I'll take off the amp crossover and just use the HU's

superdooperman
10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
The two little switches that say HI, FULL, LOW, by setting it to FULL your taking the crossover off to speak. Then, use your HU as a X-over and play around with the settings a bit until you get the sound that you like.

Personally, I would go with the amps crossover over the HU's. It's probably on a better slope then the HU's, and its adjustible. Whichever you decide to use, make sure both arent on, it really messes with the crossover points.

kicker06
10-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Personally, I would go with the amps crossover over the HU's. It's probably on a better slope then the HU's, and its adjustible. Whichever you decide to use, make sure both arent on, it really messes with the crossover points.

Yes, this is true.