PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on a brad nailer

Benilson09
10-20-2006, 05:11 PM
I plan on picking up an air compressor and a top notch nailer in the near future, however I have a problem:crap: I need to turn out about 4 boxes this weekend and countersinking screws is out of the question. I thought about buying this electric nailer from sears
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00974465000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

But I don't want to spend more than 50$ what would you guys recommend??

iamamp3pimp
10-20-2006, 05:15 PM
im interested in the results as well.

Benilson09
10-20-2006, 05:18 PM
It will be cool once I get these done because I can start upgrading my wood tools from the money I will make. I have most of the stuff picked out already for the upgrade I am just a little short and I don't want to go into debt to buy the products.

baseballer1100
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I would go ahead and just get the right stuff now. Maybe ask for the money upfront? Why spend another 60 for something you dont know how it will perform?

bjfish11
10-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Senco makes some of the best guns out there.

This is the one I ended up getting. http://senco.com/con_rem/ViewTool.aspx?toolid=152

Its an awesome gun. Has a countersink control to allow you to the control the depth you want the brads to go in. Has a boost option that allows more air to flow through and drive easier through hard wood. I paid $150 for mine from a authorized dealer with 2 year warranty. They can be had from ebay for around $115 I think.

LIke the guy above said. If you plan on upgrading as you go, dont cheap out now. Trust me, I did it with some harbor freight routers. I regret it, it was $40 I could have had towards a nice router. They are POS's, but will have to hold through till I can get nicer ones.

iamamp3pimp
10-20-2006, 06:47 PM
BJ

those harbor freight bits arent even straight. I had the guide from a FLush trim fly off after about 30 seconds.

but my black and decker keeps dying on me.

ngsm13
10-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Electric... not sure. But I have a pnuematic Hitachi brad nailer, and it's GREAT! I highly recommend it.

nG

bjfish11
10-20-2006, 10:23 PM
BJ

those harbor freight bits arent even straight. I had the guide from a FLush trim fly off after about 30 seconds.

but my black and decker keeps dying on me.
I didnt buy any of their bits, just their trimmer routers. They blow balls. I will be getting a couple new ones here before long.

Electric... not sure. But I have a pnuematic Hitachi brad nailer, and it's GREAT! I highly recommend it.

nG

Hitatchi also makes some good nailers.

azbass
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
id not get that one for box making...

bjfish11
10-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Honestly, I dont think you should use a nail gun to assemble boxes in the first place. It just wont hold the panels tight enough to give a really nice firm joint. Either clamp it up or use screws.
I never use my nailer for assembling boxes, just making my rings and amp racks and that kind of stuff.

baseballer1100
10-21-2006, 12:39 AM
I use a brad nailer and so far it works great but i see what your saying with the screws gripping better.

406er
10-21-2006, 12:48 AM
ahhh the longest brad u can use is only 1", i use 1 1/2". also that may not have enough Jam to go through thick wood. basebords and trim around your house im sure its fine.

406er
10-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Honestly, I dont think you should use a nail gun to assemble boxes in the first place. It just wont hold the panels tight enough to give a really nice firm joint. Either clamp it up or use screws.
I never use my nailer for assembling boxes, just making my rings and amp racks and that kind of stuff.

i use them all the time, but i clamp the crap outta them as well. i pretty much only use the nailer to keep the panles from sliding around on me when im gettin my clamp on

iamamp3pimp
10-21-2006, 02:45 AM
idk...brad nailing seems cool for like roundovers because i hit the screw heads a lot, but all in all, since i clamp / screw / movbe on, i dont think that this would benefit me

Benilson09
10-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I ended up getting one similar to the nailer in the link from the 1st post for around 20$ @ a going out of business sale. It got the job done, I needed something like that anyway for some projects on my house so it wasn't a total waste of money. Now the fun part, I get paid for the boxes this evening upon delivery, and I will start looking for the quality stuff.

ramos
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
BJ

I have two sets of the router bits ( lifetime carbide or some crap ) Never had a problem with any of them. Been using them for going on fiver years now. Only reason I bought the second set was some of the first set are getting dull . Can't stand the power tools they sell as most are junk , they have some decent air tools . :)

DBfan187
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I have that same gun in that link, don't get it unless you're near an outlet as it uses a ton of current!!!

On another note I reccomend brad nailers because you can finish a box in under an hour.:)

ramos
10-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I have that same gun in that link, don't get it unless you're near an outlet as it uses a ton of current!!!

On another note I recommend brad nailer's because you can finish a box in under an hour.:)

Pfffttt.... , I know a couple people that can go from 1 flat peice of mdf to a predrilled , countersunk, enclosure in under a hour half an hour . That's counting toting the table saw down the hill too . :)

DBfan187
10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
some of us like to have many beer breaks.:)

baseballer1100
10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I think the brad nailer is a lot more fun to use. :P

ramos
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
some of us like to have many beer breaks.:)

Fear Of the oompha pimp showing up and laying the smack down upon us , and Loyd's a slave driver :D :)

BaseSteala112
10-23-2006, 01:11 PM
No problems with my Dewalt....

Benilson09
10-23-2006, 01:49 PM

nG

Is there a particualr model that you are using??