PDA

View Full Version : 1 Alpine Type R 12" Sub box

AlpineUser
10-20-2006, 01:28 PM
what would you recomend for a box for one alpine Type R 12" with a 600.2 rockford amp pushing it the music he listens to is mainly rock and some rap but basically all the time rock and it is going in a mustang hatchback its an 88 GT and he wants it small but loud and a good punch for rock

Lakota
10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Somewhere around 2.25 cubes, tuned to about 34 hz.

chartman18
10-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Sorry for bumping, but when one says 'tuned to' whatever, they are talking about the hertz on the amplifier correct?

iamamp3pimp
10-21-2006, 04:08 AM
no. thats the crossover cutoff frequency.

he is asking about tuning the box.

chartman18
10-21-2006, 04:13 AM
What is a crossover cutoff frequency, and how does one 'tune' a box to do such a thing? Im sorry for these beginners questions, but we all start somewhere.

Hurro
10-21-2006, 04:33 AM
What is a crossover cutoff frequency, and how does one 'tune' a box to do such a thing? Im sorry for these beginners questions, but we all start somewhere.

The crossover cutoff frequency is on your amp, it'll be a dial or digital display if you have a newer amp. It will say "20-20,000 Hz" (dont know exactly what your model will say but it will be in hertz). Tuning your box involves adjusting the length of your port on a ported (vented) box. I don't know how THAT works, but the longer it is the lower the frequency, I think.

chartman18
10-21-2006, 04:36 AM
Yeah, thats what I figured it was, on the amplifier. Mine says like, 40-400 hz, and I have mine set to 400 only because for some reason thats where most of my bass knocks. Any idea if Im doing it totally wrong or?

Hurro
10-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Yeah, thats what I figured it was, on the amplifier. Mine says like, 40-400 hz, and I have mine set to 400 only because for some reason thats where most of my bass knocks. Any idea if Im doing it totally wrong or?

OK, my understanding is as follows: The crossover, when set to say, 400hz as you have it, will not play any frequencies below that line (deeper). The higher it is, the more notes it will let through. If you are using a stereo amp and you have it higher, it will let high enough frequencies through to hear voices. Not clear, but sounds like they are mumbling. And only when it was just the subs going. If you've got mids then you won't notice it because it's obviously sync'd. Basically play the music as loud as you would listen to it, and just adjust the dials and stop where you feel you like the sound. Again, I don't know too much but that's my input. Hope it helps.

*edit*

Just saw you said you listen to rock mostly, which doesn't go as consistently low as rap/reggae or something to that effect. That's probably why it would sound better higher up.

mazdakid
10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
hes not even the thread starter, he just stole this guys post and asked you a bunch of questions

Hurro
10-21-2006, 10:46 PM
hes not even the thread starter, he just stole this guys post and asked you a bunch of questions

See! That's how eager I am to help...too bad I don't know much. :p.

chartman18
10-22-2006, 01:07 AM
I wasnt trying to steal a guys thread, I was merely asking and learning more about this subject. And I really appreciate those who helped me.

Rawr-DQ
10-22-2006, 01:10 AM
I wasnt trying to steal a guys thread, I was merely asking and learning more about this subject. And I really appreciate those who helped me.

Dont worry about it, the guy never even replied to his own thread in two days, he dont care. You didn't "steal" anything...but his dignity...nah not even that, j/k. :naughty: