PDA

View Full Version : What was the first removable faceplate HU?

Chad T
10-20-2006, 02:49 AM
The 7909 thread got me to thinking vintage. What was the first head unit that had a removeable face? I had a Sony U-8000 and I know that was one of the very early ones, but not sure if it was the first.

99StangGt
10-20-2006, 02:53 AM
cant remember that but my first cd player was a cartridge style, lmao. Skipped when you start the car

Louisiana_CRX
10-20-2006, 02:59 AM
I had two of those cartridge style CD players...First was a JVC...the 2nd was a Yamaha....And both skipped like crazy...lol....I saw one of the old cartridges for the yamaha not long ago...in my old storage shed...

Chad T
10-20-2006, 03:02 AM
I actually still have my CDX-U8000 stored away at my parent's house. I quit using it because I had dropped the faceplate one too many times and it became erratic in usage. Amazingly, I just checked Ebay and there is a used faceplate for one for sale. I'm about tempted to order it just for a trip down memory lane and to see if that thing still works!

lsm
10-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Pioneer built the first detachable face head unit, but I can't remember the Model #. They had full page ads on the back cover of all the Car Audio mags at the time. I remember it said something like: "Everyone said it couldn't be done, but we pulled it off" And had a pic of a hand holding the faceplate.

99StangGt
10-20-2006, 03:10 AM
I actually still have my CDX-U8000 stored away at my parent's house. I quit using it because I had dropped the faceplate one too many times and it became erratic in usage. Amazingly, I just checked Ebay and there is a used faceplate for one for sale. I'm about tempted to order it just for a trip down memory lane and to see if that thing still works!

You should get it, bet its cheap. cartridge style, and people hate changing cds now. wonder how they would like it with cartridge , lol Mine was a blaupunkt

Louisiana_CRX
10-20-2006, 03:30 AM
I have a Premeir DEX M88 with detachable face...That thing is pretty old ...Still works great :)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m24/Louisiana_CRX/PioneerDEXM88002-1.jpg

Louisiana_CRX
10-20-2006, 03:33 AM
You should get it, bet its cheap. cartridge style, and people hate changing cds now. wonder how they would like it with cartridge , lol Mine was a blaupunkt

I remember that Blaupunkt model...I think it was basically the same as the JVC...They had the +10 button I beleive so you could press it and a number with it...like 5 and go right to track 15...lol What technology back in the day...

springy101
10-20-2006, 03:45 AM
I remember that Blaupunkt model...I think it was basically the same as the JVC...They had the +10 button I beleive so you could press it and a number with it...like 5 and go right to track 15...lol What technology back in the day...

lol my boombox has that button.

Justin89T
10-20-2006, 12:44 PM
hehe, why not go one step beyond that.... anyone remmeber removeable units?

I've seen two brands, a kenwood and a iforgetbrand.

press a button on the unit and the entire headunit slides out of its cage.... wtf is there to steal if the entire thing is gone. lol

there's a main cage so you don't have to unplug anything, just a connector on the back that connects automatically when its slid back in.

Chad T
10-20-2006, 01:30 PM
hehe, why not go one step beyond that.... anyone remmeber removeable units?

I've seen two brands, a kenwood and a iforgetbrand.

press a button on the unit and the entire headunit slides out of its cage.... wtf is there to steal if the entire thing is gone. lol

there's a main cage so you don't have to unplug anything, just a connector on the back that connects automatically when its slid back in.

Oh yeah...."pull outs". I remember when they were the big thing and all of the manufacturers had them on the market. I never bought one because I knew it would be too inconvenient to deal with and if not removed from your car, would make the unit ULTRA easy to steal.

explorer2
10-20-2006, 04:39 PM
How about the pullouts that you could pull out of your home reciever an put in your car, I had a panasonic 8 track one with the matching reciever for home.

99StangGt
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
How about the pullouts that you could pull out of your home reciever an put in your car, I had a panasonic 8 track one with the matching reciever for home.

friend of mine had a nakamichi underdash cassette that was removable so you could record on it in the home and play it in the car.

helotaxi
10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
My first aftermarket car deck was a Panasonic pull-out. Once I got it securely mounted, it was actually pretty skip resistant.

Panasonic had one of the early units with a removable face in early '93. It was advertised on the back cover of all the car audio mags of the time.

Another one that went the way of the full pullout unit but actually came after the removable face was the retractable face. I had a Kenwood cassette deck with a ring that would flip up, the unit would retract into the dash, a blank panel slid out into the trim ring and it would flip back down into place. Still have it actually.

Chad T
10-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeap, I've got a Kenwood PS907 that has the MASK motorized retractable face. Cool feature, but it has failed twice.

I also remember one manufacturer made a head unit that had a removable module that looked kinda like a memory stick. That "key" had to be inserted for the head unit to work. I'm thinking maybe it was Blaupunkt, but I can't remember for sure.