PDA

View Full Version : basic question around # of speakers

s4per
10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out my component list for my impending upgrade and have some basic / n00b questions..thanks for your patience.

I have an 02 Audi S4 and have gotten a lot of great advice from a professional installer. Apparently, without going to kick panels, there's no way I can get 6.5's in the front doors. On the other hand, the dls UP5 5.25 are a confirmed 'will fit'.

I am also looking to put a 10" dls iridum sub in the trunk and power all of these with Zapco DC reference 350.2 and 500.1 respectively.

Now, the last time I seriously was into car stereo prior to this recent reawakening, it was definitely about 'the more speakers, the merrier'. I've been recently educated about preserving the soundstage (may not be the right word..can't recall) and how speakers in the rear of the car will ikely just screw this up vs. being a positive addition; yet I wonder: will having just 5.25's and the respective tweeters in the front doors along with the sub be enough?

For reference, it's mostly just me in the car but I would like the occasional passengers to enjoy the sound also. Add to this that the stock system has 4" and tweeters in both the front and rear doors, and also has 6's (maybe smaller?) in the rear deck. So, if I go with the above plan, I'd be reducing from 10 speakers to 5.

Lastly, there's the option of doing the above will leaving some of the stock speakers powered only via the HU not an amp (there are challenges in this as it's a Bose system, but that can be worked around).

In the end, the question is this: will 5.25 comps in the front doors along with a sub in the trunk be enough power/volume in my car? I listen to rock/punk/metal most of the time at pretty good volumes but go to Johnny Cash as well, so it's not just pure volume I'm after, but SQ also (like everyone else, I guess ;-) ). If not, should I leave some stock speakers powered or add some 6.5's in the rear deck or something similar?

Any and all thoughts / opinions / suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Per

GrnEydDvl
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Any set of components worth half a **** that are properly amplified should get plenty loud enough to keep up with one 10 in the trunk.

I would recommend just using the pair of comps and the sub, no other speakers. Any others and you risk ruining your imaging for a minimal gain in SPL, if any.

Three words - screw your passengers. The system is for you and the minimal amount of time other people are in the car they will enjoy whatever they hear. Worst case if someone sits in the back and *****es you can turn down the sub while they are in the car.

m^ke
10-21-2006, 12:50 PM
i have 17cm helix h236 precision in my kick panels, i have to chop a little out to make them fit. trust me, these speakers rock! midrange is absolute awesome.

im haveing my custom geeza fit me up with another 17cm in my front door cards aswell, & there going to be the same speakers i have in my kicks.

then after that in haveing another set custom put into my rear cards, for rear fill.

my cars a 2 door, & rear fill is a must have, so why not give the passangers a realy good sound stage aswell.

T3mpest
10-22-2006, 12:00 PM
A set of well amlified components will be as loud as 10 of the stock speakers running off HU power, and sound 100x better while doing it.

ornammink
12-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Thank for the help me.
Now I have no problems

Jon Wens

__________________________________________________ _______
hyip advertising (http://hyip-catalog.com)

luvinthebass
12-25-2007, 05:43 AM
jon wins?

luvinthebass
12-25-2007, 05:43 AM
get this bish a cake

savagebee
12-25-2007, 05:44 AM
get this bish a cake

:laugh:

Robahr24
09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I finally bought the id ctx65cs, i have 2 pairs. Since I have two pairs, shouldn't I just amp them both in my grand prix? Everybody talks about there front stage and how rear fill is bad. I have stock bose which ***** and the rear 6x9's are not loud whatsoever with hardly any midbass, should I put them all in considering I have a 4 channel amp anyways?

DidUHearThat?
09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I finally bought the id ctx65cs, i have 2 pairs. Since I have two pairs, shouldn't I just amp them both in my grand prix? Everybody talks about there front stage and how rear fill is bad. I have stock bose which ***** and the rear 6x9's are not loud whatsoever with hardly any midbass, should I put them all in considering I have a 4 channel amp anyways?

Did you post in the wrong thread? This one is from October of last year!

Start a new thread.

99grandprixGT
09-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Did you post in the wrong thread? This one is from December of last year!

Start a new thread.

:laugh: