PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Security Code

Louisiana_CRX
10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I helped a friend change his battery today. He had a Kenwood single DIN MP3 player in the dash...Well we hooked up the battery and now the stereo says to enter a code....It worked fine before...in fact he said his favorite CD was in it ....He bought the truck used about 3 months ago from a car lot....We called them they new nothing of a code said the truck came from auction...Does anyone know an overide code to get this CD player back working? I wrote the model down but don't have it hear right now. If that is needed I'll get that and post it later...

MrSwiss
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
check the website, look up the manual. i believe their is an override code, my hu has the same feature.

SonnyD
10-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I've never heard of an override code?.......does it limit the functions if you use it? It doesn't seem like it would be much of a security feature if all you have to do to circumvent the security is look up an override code! I was told you had to have your sales receipt, and that it would have to go back to the factory......I hope it's actually that hard and not some bypass for it.

Regards Sonny

dleccord
10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
i doubt there's an override code, unless you are authorized to it.

SonnyD
10-18-2006, 10:34 PM
That's what I was thinking. I just checked the manual again and the way it's worded almost makes it sound like one you power it back up, going to steps 4 though 7......you can choose a new code. I know when I had mine out a while back, and put it back in I took a guess on the code and it shut down, I finally remembered the code I had programmed in, and it worked perfectly again. it just doesn't make sense to have a security system with an override code.
The manual even says write down the code and put it in a safe place in case the unit is powered down or removed.
Regards Sonny

Louisiana_CRX
10-19-2006, 12:19 AM
it is looking like he may have to buy a new radio....

klepto
10-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Are all kenwoods like this?

skadude016
10-19-2006, 12:21 AM
dont steal it next time ;)
j/k good luck

Chad T
10-19-2006, 12:54 AM
My old Kenwood PS907 had a 4 digit security code. If you try 300 different codes a day, then you'll be all set in around a month. lol

dleccord
10-19-2006, 02:59 AM
isn't there a certain limit of how much codes you can put in until it really locks up? some of the oem radios are like that but im uncertain of the kenwoods.

DeViOuSoNe
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah there is! So be carefull, mine was 3....haha

project f-150
10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
It depends on the model of kenwood. There is one override code that worked on older radios. Do you have the model#?

explorer2
10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Are all kenwoods like this?

only if you turn that function on

SonnyD
10-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I think on my X459, it's 4 tries and your out........"Are all Kenwoods like this"?......I would hope all HU's were like that if the security is turned on! Why would you want a security system that, if you removed it from power, IE stealing it, could be turned back on by powering it up and punching in a new code? If that was the case, I know I'd never turn the security on because it would be worthless. Same as in the old days, if you stole a radio without a faceplate you couldn't get a faceplate unless you could prove ownership, unless you had a unreputable shop get it for you, "for a price"
Not to say anyone here is stealing radios and then trying to circumvent the security with an overide. That's the downfall of buying a car with a security system equipped HU, unless you get the security code, your going to be SOL when you need a new battery.
My suggestion if you ever buy a car with an aftermarket HU, and the security is turned on...it should tell you that when you power it on, I would make sure either the dealer had the security code, or they could get the security code for you before you purchased the car..........if not, I'd ask for a reduction in price, even if it was a 1000.00 unit.....because sooner or later...it's going to bite you!

Regards Sonny

konechiwa
10-20-2006, 12:27 AM
try the reset button. You never know...

You'd need to talk to the dealer.