PDA

View Full Version : The manufacturers ****!

helotaxi
10-18-2006, 05:33 PM
So, I've not even looked at HUs in the last 3 years cause I had an Alpine 9813 that worked great and did most everything I wanted or needed to. All was great until 3 days ago my 9813 went *POOF*! Not at all sure what caused it but a trace on the mainboard of the HU burned up and killed all the outputs.

Suddenly I find myself in the market for a HU again. All I wanted to do was replace it with another Alpine with the same features (crossover, time alignment, sub control, etc...). I wanted to stick with Alpine because I already had the XM setup for it. Long story short, the newer Alpines have FEWER features than my 3 year old model. WTF is up with that?!? I can't get time alignment or any kind of crossover without either getting an outboard processor or spending $1500 for the 9965.

I looked at other companies products and to get what I had with my $300 9813 I would have to spend over $500 and wouldn't be able to have XM. Total deal breaker on both levels.

I ended up with a 9856 Alpine. To it's credit, it has a very nice iPod interface and it has a sub output. What it totally lacks is a crossover on the sub output or the front/rear outputs. Why is it that what were basic features 3 years ago aren't even available today in anything other than the one top of the line model? Isn't the technology from the top models supposed to trickle down into the lower models as newer technology comes out? How is a sub output really a sub output without a crossover? I'm basically left with what I had 10 years ago as far as deck features. So much for progress.

davidfre21
10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
did u check ebay for your older model? :D

CapzNCoilz
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=1&series_id=49&family_id=50&item_id=106187&locale=en_US

Skip the cd player go right for this :)

3.5Max6spd
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
It is indeed very sad the direction Alpine has taken with the current lineup.

alphakenny1
10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
yea ever since best buy started carrying them, the quality went to the shitter.

jrouter76
10-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I have 9815 that i got off ebay about2 years ago and it is still going strong,I would have tried ebay...and if you need new replacement parts check out pacific parts i think, they have a lot of older alpine replacement parts, I replaced a cd transport on one of my alpine cd-players and it works like new.

helotaxi
10-19-2006, 01:13 AM
I checked eBay and to no avail. Plus I didn't want to wait.

I opened it up to see if it was something simple like an op amp or capacitor that blew, but no such luck. A section of signal trace on the main PC board about a half inch long cooked.

And for more bad news, I found what caused the problem in the first place. Something on the MS-275 side of my Son of Frank shorted out. I can't find anything obviously burned up but it smells of fried electrics. It sat cooking with the car off. The short grounded something through the RCAs, they got hot enough I could feel where they ran along the side of the center console through the console. Fortunately I did get it all pulled before my new deck bit the big one. Now I have to send Frank off to get looked at. :(

Eugenics
10-19-2006, 01:15 AM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=1&series_id=49&family_id=50&item_id=106187&locale=en_US

i like the look of that alot better than the JL.

helotaxi
10-19-2006, 01:15 AM

And that costs more thant the Alpine processor, still leaves me without a HU and requires me to buy a Palm to use it...no thanks.

LittleCarp04
10-19-2006, 01:18 AM
whats the difference between the 3Sixty.2 and a AudioControl LC6 or LC8?

helotaxi
10-19-2006, 01:55 AM
what about the 9855? its got all that

Too bad it's last year's model and no longer available locally. It's also 2x what I paid for the one I got. Price was a serious factor this time around. Sooner or later I'll get around to getting an Ai net cable and wiring up the PRA-H400 and it won't matter anymore.

squeak9798
10-19-2006, 02:01 AM
whats the difference between the 3Sixty.2 and a AudioControl LC6 or LC8?

Too much to list ;)

The 360.2 features extensive built in features such as crossovers, equalization, time alignment, etc.

The LC8 is little more than a line-out convertor.

squeak9798
10-19-2006, 02:02 AM
On topic;

I would have to agree with you Helo. I was quite appauled by Alpine's new headunit features, or lack thereof I should say.

Chevyaudio
10-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Me too...I have a 9855, and Im happy. The 06 line is horendous.

helotaxi
10-19-2006, 02:42 AM
i know 9855's are last years model, but theyre easy to come across here on the forum for a good price.

New with warranty and now were pretty much the order of the day. I've been without a system of any kind in the car for the better part of 3 months. This deck will keep me in music for the time being until I step up to a DVD deck in the near future and add on the 5.1 processor. Plus the Full Speed iPod interface is ****!