PDA

View Full Version : weird ratteling

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Sounds like it is coming from the head. My friend thinks that it may be my tensioner since it does move a little bit, but I believe it is supposed to move a bit.

Sounds like it is coming from the center under the valve cover, don't know what it is, but doesnt sound good.
Here are some vids I took with my phone.
they are 3gp but I believe quicktime and realplayer will play it;
http://strangenetworks.com/2.3gp
http://strangenetworks.com/3.3gp

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 08:09 PM
anyone?

My dad thinks its the cam... but I dunno.
My car is DOHC, so what would this mean if I had problems with a cam? Do have to replace them both? How much? not the cams?

My car is a 95 nissan altima :fyi:

Tiger Bass
10-18-2006, 08:15 PM
ooo...not so good. You dont appear to be miss-firing or directly affecting the engines performance, correct?

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
ooo...not so good. You dont appear to be miss-firing or directly affecting the engines performance, correct?

Nah, nothing seems to be wrong except that horrible clanking sound

Tiger Bass
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Hold on...doing a quick search.

Tiger Bass
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, just as a thought, its probably not your camshaft. Im thinking it's probably a lose rocker arm or rod. Its an easy fix for a competent mechanic. Anyone else think this too?

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 08:37 PM
If it is in fact a loose timing chain, rocker arm, or rod
would the car be good to drive a for a few days before I can get a mechanic to look at it?

Tiger Bass
10-18-2006, 08:43 PM
It hard to say. I mean, if your only going like a mile and a half to school and back and then no where else, probably. But get it in pretty soon. How long has it been doing it?

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
It hard to say. I mean, if your only going like a mile and a half to school and back and then no where else, probably. But get it in pretty soon. How long has it been doing it?

Yes, I will just be driving it to school and back, but my school is about 8 miles there and 8 miles back..

I started noticing the noise tuesday. My first time driving it in about a week. My mom drove it 5 days ago, she was the last one to drive it, then I get in tuesday morning and didn't think much of it cuz it was kinda cold.
Then after school I seemed to notice it more.

I drove a total of about 40 miles on it so far.

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
What I planned on doing was driving it to town tomorrow and then dropping it off at my grandmas after school and leaving it there since she only lives like a half mile from school. Then I can just drive it from there and to school until I can get it looked at.

Tiger Bass
10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
But its just so hard to guess. If its something like the rocker arm, it could be only a little loose and rattling a little bit or it could be about ready to fall off.

DubbDesigns
10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
yeah.

Well hopefully it will make it into town in the morning, then I can leave it there and just drive it to school and back to my grandmas.

Hopefully it will last long enough for me to get it into a mechanics. And I just pray that it isn't anything too expensive, because I have no job, and already in debt upto my head.
Iam tryin to sell my ghetto bahn system to some rednecks for $200, so hopefully that will pay for it.

Tiger Bass
10-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Been there before...

Tiger Bass
10-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Let me know what your problem ends up being. Im really curious to find out whether or not Im right.

DubbDesigns
10-19-2006, 05:00 PM
I took it to the mechanic today, he listened to it for a while and looked around a second, and said he was almost positive that it was the same thing I first thought when I first heard it.

Loose timing chain. He is a pretty good mechanic, the best in town, and he doesn't overcharge.
He said I was looking at about $100 or little more for the chain and kit, then about $150-200 for the labor.
Said he had to drop the oil pan, and just about everything on the passenger side of my car to fix it.

I am royally ****ed, because:
1) My mom is disabled and can not work and been fighting for disability almost 3 years and still has not recieved nothing
2) My dad is the only income as I lost my job, and cannot get another one anywhere
3) my mom has put herself into so much debt wit everything that as soon as I get money she takes it.
4) she took all the money out of my account including the overdraft money which puts me $190-

Iam selling my crappy system for about $200 which is good considering how ****** it is
Selling my guitar for $50
Selling just about everything I own except my computer which I need to keep my business running.
I will probably post some stuff in the classifieds pretty soon, so check on that.

Or I could trade my 95 Altima with 230K miles that looks fairly good, and runs fine other than the timing chain rattle for like an old piece of **** looking Mitsubishi laser, however it is a 5 speed and runs. The laser is like 3 differnt colors tho and the muffler has tried to been riced out.

Tiger Bass
10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry to hear that man.