PDA

View Full Version : CD7000 or DEH-p880prs

Ahaz
10-17-2006, 03:42 PM
It really is down to these two for me. I want a deck that can do active 3 way, and I'm not a fan of Alpine. Nothing against them, or any of you guys that run them, but I've just never really been satisfied with the sound I've gotten.

It seems like the Pioneer has better options than the Eclipse. More choices for frequency. Pioneer goes down to 50hz on the HPF, while Eclipse only goes down to 63hz. The Pioneer also has a 16 band EQ while active where the Eclipse has an 11 band EQ active, 7 band passive. Anybody know number on the Pioneer for passive? I may or may not be running it like that for a week or two.

The Pioneer also comes with the mic to do the Auto EQ and Auto T/A stuff. I'm not sure if the Eclipse does, but it doesn't look like it. The Eclipse does have their E-iserv or whatever where I can play with the crossover/EQ/TA online.

The Eclipse has a color screen (yes, I like a little fancy in my deck, sue me :p: ), but the display model I saw at Circuit City was very washed out looking. Looked like maybe an 8 color display, but the pictures I see online all show a vibrantly colored screen. As it stands, the Eclipse still has a bigger screen, which gives it the nod in that department.

So why don't I just get the Pioneer? It's about $200 or $250 cheaper. :greedy:

Well, the best deck I've ever owned, in terms of how I liked the sound that it put out, was an Eclipse CD3434. ****, I LOVED that deck!

My current excelon DPX-701 is alright, but I always feel that my music is missing something. Again, I never cared for the way my 9835 made my system sound. Put in the 3434 into that same system, and BAM, instant audio bliss.

Again, my ears, my opinion, despite how unpopular it might be ;).

I got to play with a p680mp for an hour of so in my car, and I remember it sounding pretty good, but I didn't really have time to give it a full listen.

I'm leaning towards the Eclipse, just because I feel like I can trust that I will like the sound. Thoughts, opinions?

xploit2
10-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Im in he same boat as you bro! Im gonna be running passive so I dont think going for the 880 or C7000 will make a big difference for me but I like the looks on the CD7000 so I might just go with it for the look and of course cant go wrong with it being a eclipse unit. But you on the other hand since u are going active u might wanna go for the 880 since u have more tunning to play with then again u have to give up looks for the options on the 880.

dkguitarist
10-17-2006, 03:57 PM
the cd7000 does gps too right? i'm cheap tho, so i'd go with the 880prs. dual l/r 16 band eq did it for me.

but i've never heard an eclipse deck so i can't really speak on behalf of them, so i gotta be biased here. i've had my 880 for a few days now and i love it. main reason was the ipod interface. works like a charm.

also, you can turn the internal amplifier off on the 880 as well. makes it run more efficiently ;)

Ahaz
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Im in he same boat as you bro! I

Have you seen the CD7000 in person? I swear the display looks nothing like it does in the pictures, but I also find the knob is much better in person. If I was running passive I might go with the 780 or 980, just for the screen ;).

the cd7000 does gps too right? i'm cheap tho, so i'd go with the 880prs. dual l/r 16 band eq did it for me.

but i've never heard an eclipse deck so i can't really speak on behalf of them, so i gotta be biased here. i've had my 880 for a few days now and i love it. main reason was the ipod interface. works like a charm.

also, you can turn the internal amplifier off on the 880 as well. makes it run more efficiently ;)

I'm not interested in GPS or ipod control. CD's with .mp3s are the only thing I really play. I don't see me reall setting separate EQs for L and R, but then you never know.

Can you not turn off the internal amp on the Eclipse? Weak. It's like they're trying to push me away from them.

Am I weird for thinking that each brand puts its own unique 'filter' or 'spin' to the sound it outputs? Like each manufacturer has a specific tone or characteric to their decks.

3.5Max6spd
10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
They are both capable units. Flip a coin.

I had a pleasant experience with my last eclipse purchases(8443/8455) and my brother is nearly 3+yrs and 2nd car into his cd3434 and loves the sound of that thing as well.

Something about the 880's L/R eq and lower xover points really suits me better after dealing with an active setup for a few years. Havent heard too many negatives concerning the 880 other than it sticks out like a sore thumb on some dashes-not aesthetics wise, but literally the face of the deck portrudes out.

Speedyd718
10-17-2006, 04:30 PM
well the eclipse 11 band is parametric so it's probably as good as the 16 band graphic imo. i had a eclipse 8455 (last years 7000 equivalent) and i love it awesome sounding deck and that's comparing to the pio 960 (had them both at the same time). i kept the eclipse then and i have since went back to pioneer and the only reason is the price. even with my circuit city disc on eclipse i could find 880's cheaper (by $100 btw). so price did it for me. i just installed the 880 today and i love it. awesome sq, now i just need my 4 channel to set mid fronts up active.

XaznKewLguyX
10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
I <3 my cd7k :D

skierxx5556
10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Sent you a pm...

Ahaz
10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the great feedback guys, I was scared it was going to be a 880 circle****. Kind of a hardcore, 'my display is made of mechanical plastic dials that rotate to display a maximum of three characters at a time and that's the way I likes it' display of machismo. Not to say the 880 display isn't nice, because it really is, but there just seems to be a backlash against paying for a more expensive display at times.

I think if I went with the pio, I would always question that decision. Gah, but it's so cheap! Pioneer really could be charging more for this unit. Great, great bang for your buck.

Sent you a pm...

I'm writing you a reply right now...

xploit2
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
do you guys Know if I can use the T/A and auto EQ on the 880 even if I go passive??

Ahaz
10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
The 980 has that feature, and it's passive, so I would assume yes. But I'm sure an 880 owner can chime in...

Speedyd718
10-17-2006, 06:21 PM
do you guys Know if I can use the T/A and auto EQ on the 880 even if I go passive??

sorta kinda. there's no way to tell the deck that you have a comp set per say. so you couldn't individually time align each speaker in your set. -1 for passive sets, one reason why i went active. i need t/a in such a big car.

dkguitarist
10-18-2006, 08:41 AM
i used the auto eq on my stock 6x9s and crappy kenwood coaxials. sounds better than the flat preset eqs. yes, i am working on glassing up kickpanels for my front stage and going active. whole reason i got this deck.

desertheat
10-18-2006, 09:15 AM
an 11 band parametric with adjustable Q not as good as a 16 band graphic..??? hehe.. come on guys!

Also a little trick on the cd7000 for lower on deck crossover points...

Set it up for 3 way active when useing just a set of comps up front, and a set of normal rear fill in back and subs.

Here is the funny part. Use the Mid channels as the front and leave the highpass on the mid channels open and you can cross lowpass way down low! with the sub, below 50, or 40....

So basically you can have subs crossed at say 40-50 or lower at any slope and the mids crossed at 40-50 matching slope... No high pass is selected so they run full range which is what ya want out of the fronts...

Use the high pass for the rears and it lets to run down to 200hz which is perfect for my setup! There is no hpf for the rears but it was not needed in my case as I am just running 5.25 fill at a crazy low level, practically not there....

Only crappy part is you get 1 band peq for the sub channel, 5 band for the rear fill and 5 band for the fronts... WIth the setup I have I bairly needed any eq so it worked out perfectly :)

This little trick gets you past the stupid 63hz retard crossover point they offered...

desertheat
10-18-2006, 09:18 AM
sorta kinda. there's no way to tell the deck that you have a comp set per say. so you couldn't individually time align each speaker in your set. -1 for passive sets, one reason why i went active. i need t/a in such a big car.

I use basically a point source speaker "aura mr62's" so time alignment was only needed per l / r channel up front... not seperate for the tweets and mids...

desertheat
10-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Have you seen the CD7000 in person? I swear the display looks nothing like it does in the pictures, but I also find the knob is much better in person. If I was running passive I might go with the 780 or 980, just for the screen ;).

I'm not interested in GPS or ipod control. CD's with .mp3s are the only thing I really play. I don't see me reall setting separate EQs for L and R, but then you never know.

Can you not turn off the internal amp on the Eclipse? Weak. It's like they're trying to push me away from them.

Am I weird for thinking that each brand puts its own unique 'filter' or 'spin' to the sound it outputs? Like each manufacturer has a specific tone or characteric to their decks.

I own it, looks just like the pics..? What ya talking about..? Did you see one with the dimmer on or somthing? The knob on the 7000 is ugly as sin but man it is nice to grab and give a twist!

Ahaz
10-18-2006, 10:11 AM
an 11 band parametric with adjustable Q not as good as a 16 band graphic..??? hehe.. come on guys!

Also a little trick on the cd7000 for lower on deck crossover points...

Sorry, that 11 versus 16 band was my fault for just glancing at the specs too fast. 63hz seems kinda crappy because everyone else offers lower crossover points, but I have my Kenwood set to 60hz now, and sometimes bump it up to 80hz. As long as you can play with the slope, it's not really that bad.

I own it, looks just like the pics..? What ya talking about..? Did you see one with the dimmer on or somthing? The knob on the 7000 is ugly as sin but man it is nice to grab and give a twist!

I went to CC with a friend (who knows nothing about the CD7000) yesterday, and here's how the convo went:

*walks up to CD7000*

Me: This is it.

Friend: Is it color?

Me: ...it's supposed to be.

Friend: I guess I can kinda see some blueish-gray.

Who knows how CC had the thing wired up, or what background it was, but it seriously looked washed out colorwise. I thought it looked more monochrome than color.

Looking at the specs, everyone seems to call it a color oel display, so I kinda assumed it was a very low number of colors. Good to hear otherwise.

mfenske
10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I say we all start a letter writing campaign and demand that Pioneer re-release the DEX-P1r but add MP3 capability. Mark

ramos
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
I say we all start a letter writing campaign and demand that Pioneer re-release the DEX-P1r but add MP3 capability. Mark

Don't think anyone who purchased the dex-p1, dex-p9, or any of the odr offerings is worried about mp3's :)