PDA

View Full Version : AP enclosures and backwave sizing

pwnt by pat
10-16-2006, 07:31 PM
I know that ideally, the backwave is ejected outside of the car.

I know an ib box is the backwave is any enclosure isolating the back and front waves that's 10x vas.

I know that apkicks, as long as the pod is big enough, the rearwave can be fired into a sealed (or carpet vented) chamber.

I know that in ap doors, the backwave can be fired right into the door as long as it's sealed.

I am just curious if there is any rules to follow when designing an ap enclosure that the backwave unloads into a sealed enclosure that base the enclosure volume on the paramaters of the sub, or if a "large enough" approach is all that's needed.

T3mpest
10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I know that ideally, the backwave is ejected outside of the car.

I know an ib box is the backwave is any enclosure isolating the back and front waves that's 10x vas.

I know that apkicks, as long as the pod is big enough, the rearwave can be fired into a sealed (or carpet vented) chamber.

I know that in ap doors, the backwave can be fired right into the door as long as it's sealed.

I am just curious if there is any rules to follow when designing an ap enclosure that the backwave unloads into a sealed enclosure that base the enclosure volume on the paramaters of the sub, or if a "large enough" approach is all that's needed.

http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18

dkguitarist
10-17-2006, 12:12 PM
x2. just read the eca tutorial on ap enclosures. very interesting and informative.

pwnt by pat
10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I already read it, that's what spurred my question.

dkguitarist
10-17-2006, 01:41 PM
the only parameter you need to base it off of is the qts iirc. i'd use a "just big enough" enclosure method and see how it goes.

squeak9798
10-19-2006, 01:20 AM
As far as venting into certain areas of the car (or truck), honestly it doesn't matter much, so long as the space used has more air volume than your AP enclosure does. Many audiophiles swear that it is best to vent them into huge trunks or even to the outside so there is an infinite amt of air available, and they say this helps the woofers play even lower notes. I have yet to vent one outside a car, and mine work just fine, so I question the validity of this point. As long as the membrane is in a separate chamber of the car, and that chamber is larger than the AP enclosure, you should be golden!

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=12522&pagenumber=2

pwnt by pat
10-19-2006, 01:36 AM
beautiful. Thanks squeaky