PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Speakers? Coax or Comp?

Dynasty
10-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I want to finally get a new front stage. My current one is stock :eek: and has 4x6 speakers. My main goal here is SQ. I want clarity and do not care so much about SPL. So here are my questions:

Do I go with coaxials or components?

Since the stock speakers are 4x6, am I stuck with that size? I do not want to have extensive modifications done to the doors.

heyman421
10-15-2006, 01:31 PM
a 4x6 hole could be cut to a 6.5" hole easily.

or you could get an adapter and drop in a 5.25"

a round speaker's going to have better linearity

and between components and coax's, it's up to you.

If you don't have a good place to put tweeters, coax's are your best bet for a proper soundstage.

Dynasty
10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
I have been looking for adapters, but so far have had no luck.

If I make the speaker mount bigger is it just a matter of extending the mount to a bigger size?

rmdl51
10-16-2006, 08:32 PM
what kind of car do you have? I bought adapters from this guy at ebay if you wanna take a look.

http://stores.ebay.com/Speaker-Adapters

addisdar
10-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Comps.

Dynasty
10-19-2006, 09:55 PM
what kind of car do you have? I bought adapters from this guy at ebay if you wanna take a look.

http://stores.ebay.com/Speaker-Adapters

Thanks for the link!

I found an adapter that will replace the stock 4x6 and replace it with a 6 1/2.

Now it is just a decision of coaxials or comps...I don't care about how loud it gets, I just want SQ.

Methodical
10-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the link!

I found an adapter that will replace the stock 4x6 and replace it with a 6 1/2.

Now it is just a decision of coaxials or comps...I don't care about how loud it gets, I just want SQ.

My opinion would be to go with the Component system if you can locate the crossover. The sound quality is, in my opinion, better than just regular coaxials. Another alternative is to get two way speakers and a tweeter and install capacitors on them. I've done this in the past and the sound quality was good to. What brand of speakers are you looking at? Check out Etronics (good prices there).

Dynasty
10-20-2006, 07:50 PM
I am going to go with coaxials because I do not have the money for an amp right now.

I have a budget of $100. They will be powered from the HU and not an amp. I am not looking for how loud they can get, but rather how clean and clear they sound. I am looking for the best SQ I can get for the money.

My choices so far ar the following:

1) CDT Audio CL-6EX

2) Polk Audio db650

3) Memphis 15-MC60

4) MB Quart DKE-116

5) JL Audio TR650CXi

6) Boston Acoustics S65RC

What speaker will give the best SQ?

Methodical
10-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I am going to go with coaxials because I do not have the money for an amp right now.

I have a budget of $100. They will be powered from the HU and not an amp. I am not looking for how loud they can get, but rather how clean and clear they sound. I am looking for the best SQ I can get for the money.

1) CDT Audio CL-6EX

2) Polk Audio db650

3) Memphis 15-MC60

4) MB Quart DKE-116

5) JL Audio TR650CXi

I don't know which one speaker is best because I have not sampled them. So I can't judge. But they all have good reputation from what I've read. I personally, purchase the infinity reference speakers and the sound quality in great. I can hear things in the music I didn't know was there. Also, I've heard that the Polks are nice. I have polk's home theatre system (speakers) and they are superb but that's in the house.

Is there an audio store where you can sample some if not all of those speakers? If so sample, sampe and sample. Keep in mind though most store setups are with amps and believe me they will sound big time different coming out of the head unit when compared with an amp.

By the way, I am contemplating purchasing either infinity reference, polk dba's or pioneer (4 ways) coaxil for my pickup truck which I will drive them with a small 4 channel amp. I don't need anything special. If you get some ear time on those speakers keep me posted.

Good luck.

Methodical
10-23-2006, 09:47 AM

1) CDT Audio CL-6EX

2) Polk Audio db650

3) Memphis 15-MC60

4) MB Quart DKE-116

5) JL Audio TR650CXi

FYI. I was looking at Crutchfield's site and checked out the reviews on 2 of the speakers above. Check out there site to see what people are saying about the various speakers. Oh, have you considered Infinity speakes?

Polk Audio db650 - There were 55 reviews for these speakers and the ones I read were all positive, and with 55 reviews it also means that people are buying these speakers, which is a good sign in my opinion. I would've gotten the polks because of my experience with them in my HT system but they didn't have 6x8s to my knowledge.

Boston Acoustic s65RC - There were about 6 reviews for these and all were negative, except 1.