PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 comps

timvanderet
10-13-2006, 01:17 AM
I know there are 5 million threads on this topic, but every time i read another post I get more confused. I am looking to spend around $200 on this set, preferably no more than $250. I will be running them (most likely) of an Elevation 80.4 (which i believe puts out about 150 bridged to 2 channels).

Originally, based on what people have said on these forums, I was set on getting a pair of CDT's. However, with all of my recent reading I am hearing a lot of people say you can do better for the money.

Any suggestions?

DejaWiz
10-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Type X and bi-amp them.

timvanderet
10-13-2006, 01:37 AM
What does bi-amp mean?

DejaWiz
10-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Use your 4 channel amp to individually power each mid and each tweet. The Type X xovers already have the connectors to do this. If you check out the user's manual in the link below, you will learn all you need to know about bi-ampable components.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=SPX-177R&lang=en&tab=F

timvanderet
10-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for your reply. That's good info.

I think looking for a set of comps is the most frustrating thing i've ever done. The alpine's weren't even on my original list of speakers I was looking at. Grrrrr, how am I supposed to know the best deal for my money?

azngotskills
10-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Rainbow SLC 265...these were great for the money with a smooth tweet and great midbass. I recently sold these and went back to stock, then realized how good these components were. Now i think im moving up to there bigger brother GERMANIUMS :). Do a search and read about them, doubt that will ready anything negative about them or the rest of the Rainbow line up. Hit up member 6spdcoupe, rainbow dealer thats very knowlegable and great pricing. Hope this helps.

timvanderet
10-13-2006, 02:20 AM
I have read a lot about rainbows, and obviously all good stuff. I just didn't think they sold anything in the 200 range. I'll shoot 6spd a pm and see what he says.

DejaWiz
10-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Rainbow SLC 265...

Another excellent recommendation.

azngotskills
10-13-2006, 02:27 AM
just wait and save a few more bucks...i promise you it will be worth it (btw i think there was a used set for sale in the classifieds) and I think the dreamlines are about $200 or less....6spdcoupe would know better :D

timvanderet
10-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Alright, well thanks for the help everyone. I pm'd 6spd about the rainbows. I'll let you guys know before i buy anything. You know, just to make sure i dont do anything stupid ;)

Big Dee
10-13-2006, 04:10 AM
The ones I am looking at are Rainbow SLC 265s, Type-Xs, and CDT EF series, all of them are around your price range, since that is also my price range that I was looking for.

I'm leaning towards the Alpines right now because I really want that ring radiating tweeter.

timvanderet
10-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Thanks for everyones input

Whats special about the apline tweeter as opposed to the others? "Ring radiating"? What does that mean?

DejaWiz
10-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Polk uses them in their SR component sets as well as some home audio applications. Here's a tech article about the ring radiator tweeter.

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/tech_article.php?id=22

Notwerk
10-13-2006, 06:26 AM
The Type-X is an excellent speaker. Very neutral and musical. You should look around in your area, however, and see what local dealers carry. It may take some hunting, but you might be surprised with what you find. There's no substitute for taking a listen for yourself. Some people swear by Focal, other people find them irritating. It really depends on perference.

klepto
10-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Well no one has dropped the Crystal bomb in here yet so i will. The Crystal SSCS6's are great speakers that many people say you have to spend many hudreds to beat out. You can get em for 160 shipped. Pm me if you want some good people to work with to get some.

Notwerk
10-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Well no one has dropped the Crystal bomb in here yet so i will. The Crystal SSCS6's are great speakers that many people say you have to spend many hudreds to beat out. You can get em for 160 shipped. Pm me if you want some good people to work with to get some.

If they offered those with silk tweets, I'd be much quicker to recommend them. I remember buying some inexpensive Crystal coaxes for a relative's car back when Ampman was still selling them. They were a great value. Really great sound from a cheap coax.

DejaWiz
10-13-2006, 02:29 PM
If they offered those with silk tweets, I'd be much quicker to recommend them.

agreed

addisdar
10-13-2006, 04:11 PM
If you were willing to spend just a little bit more, then you could start looking at comps in a completely different league.

scotsman
10-13-2006, 06:16 PM
how are diamond audio D6's?

95stroked1500
10-13-2006, 10:03 PM
you'd have to get raw sscs 6 mids (which might be avail by themselves now) and then get thier silk tweets. but crystal doesn't think their silks keep up with the sscs (at least for their liking) is why they only offer them as a component with the titaniums.

the tweeters come with 12db hp xovers. it would work to just run the mid up and let it's natural response slope off the upper freq. but you might also consider dropping in a cap on them.

for titanium tweets, they're not bad at all. not what you expect. but everyone has their personal preferance.

at that price point, it's hard to find something competive against it. unless you can score something more upper end for a heck of a deal.

if enough people showed demand, i'm sure doug would put together some sets with the silks. for a company, they're really down to earth and good to deal with. as long as dealer and customer requests are reasonable, realistic, and don't go against the grain if his engineering.

for 07, they should be releasing an sscs 6 version with a stamped basket that has the standard OD (but still keeping the cast basket version). and the sscs 5's should finally be being released also. don't believe some of these clowns with their net sites who say they have them, and been saying that all year.

and their sound stage line is night and day better than thier previous lines. as they were yesteryear, they still are worth what the price is.

khail19
10-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Another set ot consider is the Exile Xtec65. I've had my set for a few weeks now and they sound very nice. Silk tweet too, very detailed and definitely not harsh. Don't be afraid of metal tweets though, if done right they can sound better than silk. The best tweets I've heard are the aluminum ones in the Bravox CS60 set. They have a silk surround and an aluminum done, and they aren't harsh at all. I think the Exile mids are better though, with more midbass and much more power handling.