PDA

View Full Version : New speaks for my truck

MTXman
10-12-2006, 08:38 PM
The other day I decided to take off the side panel speaker cover in my 1995 Ford F-150 to check out the speakers, and found out that they were 6x8 coaxials.

I am going to buy 6.5 door speakers for my truck, as well as a pair of 6x8 with good SQ and add bass to my system.

I was wondering, if I bought an amp for these speakers, should I get a 125w/4?

Should one speaker amp be hooked up to all four speakers? (2 6.5 midbass and 2 6x8 coaxials)

Also, if any of you have recommendations for either of those size speakers, I would love to read them ;)

Prowler573
10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
The other day I decided to take off the side panel speaker cover in my 1995 Ford F-150 to check out the speakers, and found out that they were 6x8 coaxials.

I am going to buy 6.5 door speakers for my truck, as well as a pair of 6x8 with good SQ and add bass to my system.

I was wondering, if I bought an amp for these speakers, should I get a 125w/4?
Certainly that would be plenty adequate to power what you're intending on installing, yes. :)

Should one speaker amp be hooked up to all four speakers? (2 6.5 midbass and 2 6x8 coaxials)
For ease of installation it is more simple to install a single 4ch amp rather than a pair of 2ch amps. Some here will tell you don't even bother to amplify rear fill speakers but personally I disagree. To each their own, says Prowler.

MTXman
10-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the input man, most of the 6x8 coaxial reviews I have looked at recommended using an amp to power them and you will actually get your money's worth. Definitely buying an amp for the speakers :D

samson
10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Just an fyi, if you like MTX, I just ordered an amp from stereo direct. com. It was dirt cheap and I actually got pretty good service. Refurbished but looks new and sounds great.

MTXman
10-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Not in <3 with them, just my first subs so the name kinda stuck, but thank for the info, Ill check it out :D

Notwerk
10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm of the crowd that says rearfill isn't worth amplification, but that's changing a lot now that there are more multimedia/surround sound setups going into cars. So, it might be worth getting the four-channel.

Also, getting the four-channel gives you options in case you decide to biamp or run active someday in the future. You can even bridge the rear channel to drive subs if you want to use one amp to drive a system. There's more flexibility with a four-channel amp.

With a two-channel, well, you can't really do much. It either runs stereo or bridged-mono.