PDA

View Full Version : dediacted door subbass

pwnt by pat
10-12-2006, 02:05 AM
I want to get some extra up-front bass and figure a 3-way active just might be the way to go.

I could do 8's in the doors, but I want to keep my map pockets and am not sure if 8's would fit comfortably and can't afford new skins if I **** up.

So, with that said, I was looking at the tang band 6.5" subwoofer with the neo-motor. It looks like it would be a good fit. Upon doing research, I couldn't find much on it, a few words here or there, but nothing extremely conclusive.

Then, I remembered Adires Extremis mids. Although they can and should be used as dediacted midwoofers, their low end extension makes them sound like a winner. The only problem is the cost.

For the cost of the Extremis woofers, I could get two sets of the Tang Band's.

Would there be a large enough benefit going towards the extremis vs the tang bands to justify the cost?

hatemonger
10-12-2006, 02:07 AM
i've heard good things about the tb's. supposed to be pretty **** good for the price

SQBubble
10-12-2006, 02:13 AM
i ordered 4 of them on monday:D
they were on special @33$ each* , i dunno where ill use them, but i was thinkin' to use them as mid-bass for my front doors(only 2) and the other 2, have some fun with them:naughty:

hatemonger
10-12-2006, 02:16 AM
how do you like the polk momo's?

SQBubble
10-12-2006, 02:24 AM
how do you like the polk momo's?

i like 'em, they get loud in the mid-range and high frequencies, the only thing that pisses me off is the mid-bass.... could be lot better, but then again, my doors arent properly done YET for mid-bass.+ they are 5.25 ..

bottom line, they are pretty nice for the buck

hatemonger
10-12-2006, 02:29 AM
had a choice between the polk and alpine 6.5 components. chose alpine and am not satisified. should have gone with polk. let me know how those tb's sound. i might just replace the 6.5's and use the alpine crossovers with the tang bands.

SQBubble
10-12-2006, 02:34 AM
had a choice between the polk and alpine 6.5 components. chose alpine and am not satisified. should have gone with polk. let me know how those tb's sound. i might just replace the 6.5's and use the alpine crossovers with the tang bands.

i was thinkin' of doin' this myself with the polks lmao.. put the tb won't play high enough(till 2-3khz where my polk's and most xover are set), well it would play but not clearly i suppose...

i was thinkin' of doing the swap wiht the AA. 6.5 poly mid driver also, these should do well to replace ur alpine, and i might do it later also, if the tang bang wont fit...

btw wut do u dislike about ur component?

hatemonger
10-12-2006, 02:38 AM
what i really don't like is that below 85 hz the alpines can't handle it and bottom out, so i have to set my crossover to 85 for the subs. i don't like them playing those higher freq. i really want to stay below 65, but the alpines make that impossible. not impressed.

SQBubble
10-12-2006, 02:47 AM
what i really don't like is that below 85 hz the alpines can't handle it and bottom out, so i have to set my crossover to 85 for the subs. i don't like them playing those higher freq. i really want to stay below 65, but the alpines make that impossible. not impressed.

holy f*ck , thats exactly wuts happening to me dudee , LOL,

i like my sub low-passed at 60hz the best, but with lot of songs, I just have to put it to 80hz, and i dont really like it, but my polk wont go under 80hz as well at high volume, but they do get loud and sound clear, can take more than wut they say, just no decent mid-bass at all...

defanitly will post reviews and pics on TB 6.5 subs

hatemonger
10-12-2006, 03:18 AM
i was going to do a rear fill kinda deal with 8's for midbass, but it seems like alot of unnecessary money and taken space if i can find something in a 6.5 that'll fill it. so far, i think the tang bands sound like the best option.

T3mpest
10-14-2006, 04:50 AM
holy f*ck , thats exactly wuts happening to me dudee , LOL,

i like my sub low-passed at 60hz the best, but with lot of songs, I just have to put it to 80hz, and i dont really like it, but my polk wont go under 80hz as well at high volume, but they do get loud and sound clear, can take more than wut they say, just no decent mid-bass at all...

defanitly will post reviews and pics on TB 6.5 subs

It's not really a brand specific thing. 5.25 drivers dont' play below 80 hz well, many 6.5's don't really do 60 with authority. It's just part of the driver's size range. There's also a difference between midbass and subbass from your mids, but that's another story all together.

Also, filters aren't brick walls. If you set your sub at and midbass to not pick up exactly where the other left off, your not necessarily creating a dip in FR.

2LouDFoRThiS
10-17-2006, 02:14 AM
im usin some eu's in my doors up front for some extra midbass .. works nicely..

springy101
10-17-2006, 02:23 AM
well the extremis are expensive for a reason, they are some of the best mid speakers you can buy. have you checked out the aa poly mids? pretty darn cheap and can play to around ~40hz or so i have heard.

dleccord
10-17-2006, 02:51 AM
well the extremis are expensive for a reason, they are some of the best mid speakers you can buy. have you checked out the aa poly mids? pretty darn cheap and can play to around ~40hz or so i have heard.

**** for 6.5 mids? thats crazy.

luvinthebass
10-17-2006, 03:45 AM
my pair of Pioneer 4 ways up front have some nice midbass to em then sub for the back crossed over at 70 hz for a nice blend of sound.

pwnt by pat
10-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I'll never buy pioneer speakers.

Yeah, I've all but forgotten about the extremis. Too pricy in my book. I didn't think about the poly mids, though. I thought of them more as midrange drivers. Don't they have bad slap at low frequencies?

T3mpest
10-17-2006, 11:44 AM
probably nothing a little felt at the bottom couldn't fix, for 45 bucks they are hard to beat assuming you can cross them over.

pwnt by pat
10-17-2006, 04:10 PM
easily. full active with the h701 :)