PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound coming from speaker.

LinxuS
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
I've been noticing a problem with my speakers lately, and I'm hoping I don't have to purchase some new ones but anyways...

I have Alpine Type-R 5x7s, and I'm running (60 RMS at 0 db) to them, at an unclipped volume..

On some songs that have a medium frequency, theres this like scratching sound. If I had to guess, i'd say its around ~ 450 hz... If anyone knows Lil Wayne, sometimes his voice will create this scartching sound (only on this one speaker). It's not the woofer, because even when the bass is turned all the way down, it still does it. It's not my tweeter either.

Basically when some people are talking or something of that sort on a CD, some of their words will have this strong static / clicking type sound. Could this be the result of a blown speaker? It's only my front left speaker. I've tried switching the RCAs up and it's still there.

Can a speaker be blown only at certain frequencies? (if that makes sense?). It'll play the bass lines fine and most songs, but theres a certain frequency I guess where it makes this sound...

GordonW
10-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Sounds like possibly a loose winding in the voice coil, or a deformed coil or cone, under the dustcap. I've heard that before, when one of these things happened.

Gotta be the woofer, since the tweeter doesn't do anything near 450 Hz...

Also, could be a loose dustcap or surround! Make sure the cap and surround are glued to the cone properly!

Regards,
Gordon.

LinxuS
10-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the response, ill try to pull my speaker out tomorrow after I take the SATs...

If anything is loose or came unglued, does that mean I either need a recone or new speaker?

reneeb7363
10-13-2006, 07:33 PM
LOL at the silliness of using 5" x 7" speaker and deformed cone in the same thread...
IMO you would be better off replacing it with a component set. EASY to make a plate for it. Use a 4" mid and 1" tweet.
like this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=267-652

better imaging capability, over all better sound.. and not some tweeked, innaccurate POS oval cone...

LinxuS
10-15-2006, 10:05 PM
It already is a component set.. 5x7" with a separate 1" tweeter.

After I get my sub and amp and wiring all done, ill probably change out my front stage. I believe it's possible to fit 6.5s in there with a tiny bit of cutting.. If not I know I can fit 5.25s for sure.

Still haven't found the time to really check it out :( SATs / colleges / 5 a.p. classes FTL, I think i'll drop out and go work at mcdonalds.