PDA

View Full Version : Keep blowing tweeters so need to go active or some suggestions

Intercooler
10-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I really don't understand it. This is like my fourth or so TW-25 blown.... costing me a fortune in tweets :eek: Crazy part is now I am splitting between two sets which has toned them down and should have made things better but today I have one out. I called Parts Express and they suggested I don't use Bass-Boost which I will change when I go back out and mess with the Eclipse HU. Other than that I could put Poly switches to protect them from power but ****.... I need my highs! I keep hearing about going active and the Parts Express guy suggested that since maybe the CDT X-overs aren't tuned to keep the bass from hitting my tweets enough. Any suggestions? :eyebrow:

2kchevy06civic
10-11-2006, 01:01 PM
uhhh your passive crossover should do what they are suppose to by cutting off the bass...unless your crossovers are messed up. Like the crossover should have a 12DB rolloff where ever it's crossovered at for highs.

Going active is a lot harder then passive you need to figure out what is going on with the situation at hand and correct it before thinking baout going active.

edit: as far as bass boost if you set your gains prior to turning that on you should be fine(if you're talking about the bass boost on eclipse hu's)

bri487
10-11-2006, 01:08 PM
set your gains right, and if you are running them on the same channel as something else without a corssover then you might want to look into capacitors.

2kchevy06civic
10-11-2006, 01:13 PM
if it's hooked up correctly though he should only need basically 2 channels(L,R) for a 3-way passive.

/shrug who knows though still kind of waking up.

alteraudiousa
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
well going active isn't what you need to do since its much easier to blow speakers actively. Also you probably do need to cut bass boost as crossover don't bandpass the mids or more correctly precise they don't low pass, they only high pass where they crossover with the tweeter so emphasizing the 45hz range on a set of speakers isn't great. The CD5000 has adequate EQ features in Pro Mode and if you lowpass the MID RCA set to 80hz @12db slope you'll be good. Back to the tweeters though, you need to step down to say the Satnet 480 that has tweeter protection, any Satnet above 480 doesn't have tweeter protection. Also you may want to look at the rest of your setup like amps because thats quite strange you're blowing them. i ran my tweets active on 70rms a piece and didn't have problems. if you're blowing a few sets than your amp might have a really bad signal.

squeak9798
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Also you probably do need to cut bass boost as crossover don't bandpass the mids or more correctly precise they don't low pass, they only high pass where they crossover with the tweeter so emphasizing the 45hz range on a set of speakers isn't great. The CD5000 has adequate EQ features in Pro Mode and if you lowpass the MID RCA set to 80hz @12db slope you'll be good.

Reverse the "lowpass" and "highpass" phrases in that paragraph.

Also, if you want to highpass (if you aren't already) whichever RCA output the comp set is connected to. Whether or not that's the "mid" output I don't know.

Anyways, if you are continually blowing tweeters my first thoughts would be either clipping or you are simply sending them too much power. And going active definitely won't help your situation any. You need to find the actual cause of your problems. CDT should be smart enough to correctly set the highpass frequency and slope for their own tweeters....so that should not be the problem.

Speedyd718
10-12-2006, 01:55 AM
go active. i had the same issue with the cdt sets i had. with both the 480 and 560 x-overs, and i wasn't overpowering them. i don't think their x-overs are that good. but going active will eliminate the need for a passive x-over. you'll have to upgrade your deck maybe and the tweets and mids will need to be amped separately.

bikejunkie223
10-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Sounds like you have:
1: too much power
2: too low a crossover point, or not a steep enough slope of the crossover point
3: all of the above.

headless
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
IMO going active will not fix the problem unless the crossovers are damaged. Otherwise it will likely make it worse.