PDA

View Full Version : Help Building First Box



TRAVIESO
12-28-2002, 07:17 AM
Which glue is better?
Gorrilla Glue, Titebond II premium wood glue or Liquid Nails subfloors adhesive?
What type of silicone do I need? Is window and door silicone II sealend good enough?

What type of screws and what size?

Anything else?

ss3079
12-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by TRAVIESO
Which glue is better?
Gorrilla Glue, Titebond II premium wood glue or Liquid Nails subfloors adhesive?
What type of silicone do I need? Is window and door silicone II sealend good enough?

What type of screws and what size?

Anything else?

I like to use Liquid Nails. Ive also used just regular Carpetners glue and there was no difference.

Drywall screws are fine. I like mine to be about 1 1/2" long.
http://www.barnhillbolt.com/warehouse/images/400/ACF139.gif

Use at least 3/4" or thicker MDF:)

- Steve

Ozone Blue
12-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by TRAVIESO
Which glue is better?
Gorrilla Glue, Titebond II premium wood glue or Liquid Nails subfloors adhesive?
What type of silicone do I need? Is window and door silicone II sealend good enough?

What type of screws and what size?

Anything else?

You know, I made a pretty sweet sealed box using a good number of drywall screws, silicone caulking, and no glue at all... as long as you're not powering anything that's going to be hitting TOO hard, you may not need glue at all. Just make sure it's good and sealed. ;)

Good luck.

Mike

Ozone Blue
12-28-2002, 03:30 PM
DEFINITELY MDF, though...

evo2k3
12-28-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Ozone Blue
You know, I made a pretty sweet sealed box using a good number of drywall screws, silicone caulking, and no glue at all... as long as you're not powering anything that's going to be hitting TOO hard, you may not need glue at all. Just make sure it's good and sealed. ;)

Good luck.

Mike

dont listen to that....bad advise....always glue. 1.25" course threaded drywall screws with elmurs wood glue and standard window silicon work just fine....liquide nails gets messy, but its stronger and it takes care of the sealing, no need for silicon there. always drill counter sunk clear wholes through the 1st peice, and pilots through the second to avoid cracking and allow the peices to pull together firmly and seal. whatever use use to glue, dont be shy with it, glob it on, waste it, wipe it clean, what are you wasting, half of a $3 tube of liquide nails (assuming constuction size :) )? good luck to you.

TRAVIESO
12-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by evo2k3
liquide nails gets messy, but its stronger and it takes care of the sealing, no need for silicon there. always drill counter sunk clear wholes through the 1st peice, and pilots through the second to avoid cracking and allow the peices to pull together firmly and seal. whatever use use to glue, dont be shy with it, glob it on, waste it, wipe it clean, what are you wasting, half of a $3 tube of liquide nails (assuming constuction size :) )? good luck to you.

so if I use Liquid Nail i dont need silicone right?

Are wood screws better or do I need drywall? I heard particle board screws work the best is that true?
Also is size 9 and 1 3/4 ok for 3/4" MDF

ss3079
12-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by TRAVIESO
so if I use Liquid Nail i dont need silicone right?

Are wood screws better or do I need drywall? I heard particle board screws work the best is that true?
Also is size 9 and 1 3/4 ok for 3/4" MDF

Those screws are fine. As long as then go through the second piece of MDF by about a 1/2" you should be in good shape.

Always glue all of your joints.

Wood screws, drywall screws...bah...just get some drywall screws with a coarse thread and you will be fine. Wood screws are also perfectly fine also.

Even if you use Liquid Nails, always silicone the inside joints anyways - to prevent any air leakage.

- Steve

evo2k3
12-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
Those screws are fine. As long as then go through the second piece of MDF by about a 1/2" you should be in good shape.

Always glue all of your joints.

Wood screws, drywall screws...bah...just get some drywall screws with a coarse thread and you will be fine. Wood screws are also perfectly fine also.

Even if you use Liquid Nails, always silicone the inside joints anyways - to prevent any air leakage.

- Steve

personally i agree, wood glue and silicon is the best way to do it, most people i talk to says liquide nails seals just fine, adding silicon wont hurt though.

Wkerat
12-30-2002, 12:18 AM
How is birch plywood compared to mdf? I heard it is better but costs more...

ss3079
12-30-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Wkerat
How is birch plywood compared to mdf? I heard it is better but costs more...

I think MDF is the choice of box builders world wide.

Birch plywood...a student in my wood class wanted to make one. So I let him. It turned out fine and sounded great. Of course he was running 2 12" Type R's and a JBL 1200.1. One thing I noticed was that the layers were starting to de-laminate. Something MDF cant do;)

I personally would just stick with 3/4" or thicker MDF. If you want it too look better you can cover it in a ton of different materials. Vinyl, leather, carpet, 1/8" board(birch, maple, whatever wood you like) to name a few. Painting the enclosure would also be an option.

- Steve

BigBoomer
01-01-2003, 08:20 PM
plywood???

ss3079
01-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by BigBoomer
plywood???

Everyone tends to use 3/4" or thicker MDF. That magazine("Car and Sound" or something) said that "plywood was better than MDF because if MDF gets wet its horrible"

Well excuse me, who would let water near their ****ing audio equipment anyways.

- Steve

Wkerat
01-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Well, one of the boxes i am making is going to go in a boat (but will be in a compartment so it woudl not get wet unless the boat sank) so should I still use mdf? I am going to coat it witth fiberglass resin no matter what i use.

ss3079
01-02-2003, 08:00 PM
I'd use MDF. As long as you glass' it.

- Steve