PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a head unit!! Yup, another person asking!!

D_Nyholm
10-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Sorry to do this like everyone else, but I am having a hard time trying to find a head unit for my car. Reason being is that I have a few things that i'd like the head unit to have, but by looking through 100's of head units, I am not sure if I am finding the right ones. I need a head unit that has:

-3 sets of pre amp outputs
-a decent equalizer (not just preset EQ)
-can pair with an old Alpine 6 disk changer (I think it needs to have the Alpine-link or something like that) This part isn't necessary since i would assume this would limit my search to Alpine units only.
-Detachable face or flip face
-connection/control for an iPod
-hopefully under $200 though if it is over that price, i'd probably look into used
-it DOES NOT need an internal amp

Thanks for the help, and once again, sorry for making yet another post like this!!!

Fattony911
10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
my deck would be perfect for you everything you mentioned and for a very reasonable price NEW IN BOX
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187951

D_Nyholm
10-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Soundstorm?? Never heard of them??? It also doesn't have iPod controls on it :( :(

explorer2
10-11-2006, 04:37 PM
kenwood x889, i dont think it will work with your changer but it will do everything else and then some, I have one and couldnt be happier with it.

Fattony911
10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
they're a new and upcoming company, why do you need built in ipod controls jsut get the fm transmitter or the one that plugs into you ac adapter

G00SE
10-13-2006, 01:57 PM
they're a new and upcoming company, why do you need built in ipod controls jsut get the fm transmitter or the one that plugs into you ac adapter
The sound quality on that is ****** though. And the fm transmitter needs to be right under the HU or it starts to *** up.

Prowler573
10-13-2006, 03:33 PM
my deck would be perfect for you everything you mentioned and for a very reasonable price NEW IN BOX
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187951
I understand you're trying hard to sell your gear but it is anything but perfect for this particular poster's needs. See below:

Soundstorm?? Never heard of them??? It also doesn't have iPod controls on it :( :(
:word:

They're not new and upcoming....they've been out quite awhile selling low-end, entry-level stuff that has questionable build quality. They're trying to trade on the similarity between their name and SoundStream and hoping that a bit of loose brand recognition will help them make a few sales. It's not particularly nice to tell someone that what they need isn't really what they need in the interest of making a sale. Lastly....there's no SoundStorm gear that is going to run an Alpine changer via Alpine's Ai-Net connection.

D_Nyholm ~If I recall correctly all Alpine headunits manufactured since the introduction of the Ai-Net connection are compatible with gear that requires it. I would avoid most of the '06 models were I you as most people report they leave much to be desired in the way of processing.
Look to the CDA-7998, CDA-9813, CDA-9853 and 9855 (you're going to find it tough to find any of these in your stated budget of $200 possibly but some thorough searching on eBay might yield some luck)

xploit2
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Then the eclipse CD5000 is best for you. and it has all the features u listed on your first post. NEVERMIND!! is way over your price range :(

Prowler573
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Then the eclipse CD5000 is best for you. and it has all the features u listed on your first post.
It will run an Ai-Net Alpine changer how?

D_Nyholm
10-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies. Looks like i can basically only start looking for used Alpine decks Pre-'06. I'll start looking and see what i can find. Hopefully I'll find something decent for my price range!!!

LeofromtheH
10-13-2006, 04:24 PM
78-79 decks would prolly pbe your best bet. 7998 cause it doesn't have an internal amp. beautiful decks i might add, but not that easy to find

bimma85
10-13-2006, 04:27 PM
used 860?

xxxpower
10-13-2006, 04:28 PM
i got just what you looking for

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187947

Prowler573
10-13-2006, 04:31 PM
used 860?

i got just what you looking for

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187947

Either one of these Pioneers will run an Alpine Ai-Net controlled changer exactly how?

C'mon, folks! I understand people are trying hard to sell their gear...but please actually READ the OP to see if what you're selling fits the description of what is needed!!!

LeofromtheH
10-13-2006, 04:35 PM
he did say the cd changer wasn't necessary

DaGh0st
10-13-2006, 04:37 PM
what kind of conection(changer to deck) does the cd changer have?

Prowler573
10-13-2006, 04:39 PM
what kind of conection(changer to deck) does the cd changer have?
Alpine's proprietary Ai-Net connection.

And Leo? You're absolutely right. He did state is wasn't completely necessary but as he has the changer already and I assume from the original post that he wants to use it let's see if we can hook him up the right way, eh?

D_Nyholm ~ Another few units to have a look through eBay for are the CDA-7893, 7894, and the CDA-7995. Nice decks.

DaGh0st
10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Alpine's proprietary Ai-Net- allows cd changer and ipod connection? i found a few list of cd decks if this is the case.

Mike Troll
10-13-2006, 07:17 PM
he did say the cd changer wasn't necessary

:iagree: :2thumbs:

explorer2
10-13-2006, 07:30 PM
It could be a pre ai net changer, and then it would use m bus (it think), not shure if that would even work with a newer alpine.

bimma85
10-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Either one of these Pioneers will run an Alpine Ai-Net controlled changer exactly how?

C'mon, folks! I understand people are trying hard to sell their gear...but please actually READ the OP to see if what you're selling fits the description of what is needed!!!

-can pair with an old Alpine 6 disk changer (I think it needs to have the Alpine-link or something like that) This part isn't necessary since i would assume this would limit my search to Alpine units only.

Maybe I'm reading the bold part wrong :confused:

I'm not trying to sell anything, still :confused:

Prowler573
10-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Maybe I'm reading the bold part wrong :confused:

I'm not trying to sell anything, still :confused:
We covered this already, bimma, but thanks ;)

And Leo? You're absolutely right. He did state is wasn't completely necessary but as he has the changer already and I assume from the original post that he wants to use it let's see if we can hook him up the right way, eh?

D_Nyholm ~ Another few units to have a look through eBay for are the CDA-7893, 7894, and the CDA-7995. Nice decks.

XTRProBoy
10-15-2006, 03:24 PM

Are you sure it's Ai-Net? He didn't mention the model number (or I didn't see it) and he did mention that it was "older"... It is possible that it is an Alpine M-bus changer, no? He did say "Alpine link" but that isn't really an accurate name, Alpine changers are either going to be M-Bus or Ai-Net.

An M-Bus changer would require an interface box (which I'm not sure Alpine even makes anymore?) to connect it to an Ai-Net HU and I don't think it's that optimal of a connection anyway. If he does have an M-bus changer, it might just be better for him to buy a new changer for whatever aftermarket brand he ends up with anyway.

As for the "built-in iPod controls" I wasn't aware that many (if any) HUs have "built-in" iPod controls. Usually you require the HU plus the manufacturer's iPod interface, which is a separate product. The HU does, of course, have to be compatible with that interface.

Prowler573
10-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Are you sure it's Ai-Net? He didn't mention the model number (or I didn't see it) and he did mention that it was "older"... It is possible that it is an Alpine M-bus changer, no? He did say "Alpine link" but that isn't really an accurate name, Alpine changers are either going to be M-Bus or Ai-Net.

An M-Bus changer would require an interface box (which I'm not sure Alpine even makes anymore?) to connect it to an Ai-Net HU and I don't think it's that optimal of a connection anyway. If he does have an M-bus changer, it might just be better for him to buy a new changer for whatever aftermarket brand he ends up with anyway.

As for the "built-in iPod controls" I wasn't aware that many (if any) HUs have "built-in" iPod controls. Usually you require the HU plus the manufacturer's iPod interface, which is a separate product. The HU does, of course, have to be compatible with that interface.

No, I am not absolutely certain. I just made an assumption but certainly I will happily admit to the possibility of being wrong :fyi: :)