PDA

View Full Version : Is Clarion going to come out with a replacement for the DRZ9255?

MDXBLUE
10-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I have just heard from a dealer that Clarion DRZ 9255 is being discontinued. Have anyone heard any news on the replacement? It is weird that it still shown on Clarion website.
What other single din SQ HU available in US should I consider? I like Nakamichi but have heard enough horror stories about it.

Here is a list of functions I am hoping to get with this new HU.
1)Enough SQ for the rest of my stuffs - Rainbow Germaniums, Arc 2100XXK, Zapco C2K 3.0, and 12" ID MAX.

2)Let me retain the steering wheel audio functions in my Acura MDX.

3) Not too flashy.

I know I can get an used Clarion, but I am not comfortable getting an expensive HU without warranty.
Thanks

squeak9798
10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Haven't heard that.

But, what's your budget?

And what all features are you requiring that this headunit possess?

Would you consider something like the P9 combo or Alpine H701 + 9860 ? Since they'll give you way more flexibility than that Clarion offers, but use external processors as opposed to being an all-in-one.

MDXBLUE
10-10-2006, 12:57 AM
I believe you can get a Clarion for around $8~900, right? I will try to spend less than that unless you think the rest of my stuffs deserve better.
What are the street price for P9 combo?

The only feature I am hoping to get is the ability to retain the steering wheel audio controls. Paramatric eq is usful but not a must. It has made my old JVC sound a lot better, but my friend's Nak 45Z seem to sound better without even needing it. In additional to this, it would be nice if the HU has blue or white light display to match the interior.

I am not oppose to anything as long as it sound good and fit in my budget.

alphakenny1
10-10-2006, 02:16 AM
looks like you are running a passive setup so you wouldn't be using the p9 or h701 combo to its fullest potential. maybe an eclipse 8053. it has better tuning features for a 3 way setup than the clarion.

robg3176
10-10-2006, 02:16 AM
I don't know...but I would like to see an updated 9675z :) Both would be nice!

MDXBLUE
10-10-2006, 02:47 AM
looks like you are running a passive setup so you wouldn't be using the p9 or h701 combo to its fullest potential. maybe an eclipse 8053. it has better tuning features for a 3 way setup than the clarion.

Yes, I am going with passive setup now. So are you saying the advantages of P9 and H701 are the Xover features? Is active setup significantly better than passive?

alphakenny1
10-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Yes, I am going with passive setup now. So are you saying the advantages of P9 and H701 are the Xover features? Is active setup significantly better than passive?

click on my sig in regards about active ;).

as for the p9 and h701, thats probably the biggest advantage they have over other processing options are there crossover features and also their eq. the h701/p9 combo has the ability to fully control a 4 way active setup.

overall i think active is much better than a passive. you have more control over the speakers but it does comes w/ its negatives such as cost and the ease of tuning.

squeak9798
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM

My two biggest grips about the about the 8053 were 1) No sub EQ in Pro Mode, and 2) couldn't drop the xover frequency below 63hz.

If you have the money to spend, and don't mind doing it...the P9 or Alpine H701 would still be excellent, even if you weren't going to immediately use their full functionality. Their xover and EQ abilities even in standard 2-way mode still "eclipse" most any in-dash unit I can think of (no pun intended :p: ). Plus they have more than enough functionality and features to allow you essentially unlimited future system upgrades.

Also, the new Zapco DSP6 processor is something to look into.

If this is the last system you'll ever own...then yes, an all-in-one indash unit may work well for you. But if you see yourself upgrading in the future (which I can see you were somewhat interested in going active ;) ), then I would go ahead and spend the cash on some of the above units.....

MDXBLUE
10-10-2006, 11:06 PM
OK guys, It sound like it all depend on the features I need. Man..this is a lot different than Home audio, where the simpler the equipment is the purer the signal, thence you got better sound!

All the Eq, cross-over, and time alignment features become more important due to the difficult acoustic in the car environment and speakers locations. Most of the discussions of head unit here almost always emphasis on the features, and specs. I got a full set of hi end tube home audio system because they are simple in design and therefore give better sound. With car audio, i need tons of features to acheive good sound. It is kind of weird for me to go complete opposite direction with my years of knowledge in home audio. I got to get used to this. :)

I can see myself going with active system in the future, but I will be ready to upgrade the cd player to the one the lastest tuning capability at that time:)
Can I use my amplifier built in crossover between the sub and the front speakers for now? Paramatric EQ and time alignment on the other hand can be useful to flat out the freq response in the car.

A guy who own the Alpine H701 and W200 told me that he is not impressed with the SQ. He also said that may be his tuning skill is not up to the task. This keep me wondering how user friendly are these head units or combos to use? Is the Alpine IVA-9860 even harder to use without a big display? I may need to find an audio shop and try it for myself.

The alpine combo will cost around $7-800, which is closed to Clarion. Based on the additional info I provided, will you still recommend the Alpine combo over the Clarion? Clarion look better to me, but Alpine let me retain the steering wheel audio controls.:crap: By the way, www.speedsound.com still have Clarion in stock.

alphakenny1
10-11-2006, 12:13 AM
not saying that your friend isn't skilled or something but i found the w200/h701 combo to be very very easy. i did a review over at diyma about the combo, http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5529. as for the 9860, i'm not quite sure. i've heard its limitations. i think squeak iirc is using the 9860/h701 combo.

squeak9798
10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
i've heard its limitations. i think squeak iirc is using the 9860/h701 combo.

Yes, squeak is using the 9860/H701 combo.

The only real limitation (I can think of off hand) is the inability to switch the inputs on the H701 directly, since all of that is handled by the DVA-9860. And even then, that's not a function I use so I could even be mistaken about that. There are no limitations in actual processing capabilities (time alignment, EQ, xover, etc).

As far as user interface...it's not as "easy" as it is with the RUX-C701 (never used W200). And the display isn't as fancy (one line text as opposed to the multi-line on the C701, etc). But, it only took me about 5 minutes to learn to navigate my way through the unit and all of the functions....once you figure it out and become proficient at it, it doesn't really bother you that much :)

But, you do have the option of using the H701 with any headunit you desire, and adding the RUX-C701 control unit (which I believe is the easiest way to manage the H701). Hell, the C701 can be found used and in great shape on the forums for around $150 shipped :) So you could even add it to the 9860 to increase ease of functionality (though, like I say...once you get used to the 9860 it really isn't all that bad).

Though, considering the H701 has been used in some of the best sounding cars on the competition circuit....I would have to say the problem was most likely your friend :) (no offense to him intended)

MDXBLUE
10-12-2006, 01:12 AM
I take it as you guys think the Alpine combo sound better than Clarion. If that is tha case, where did you buy the alpine? Any pointers for new unit online?

alphakenny1
10-12-2006, 03:37 AM
it has much more tuning capabilities so hence thats why it can sound better. but the units itself alone might not make much of a difference.

Eugenics
10-12-2006, 03:59 AM
i think, regardless of weather he realizes it or not he is looking for something that sounds great but is more user friendly. I doubt he is going to actually use a fully active sound stage. Judging from his audio past i'd say something like the eclipse with white noise tuning functionality (forget the model numbers) or something as simple as a 880prs would be prime.

MDXBLUE
10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
You are right about that! I really want a simple Head Unit as I could careless about features. But if these system tuning features made the car sound better, I will go with it.

Are you recommeding the 880PRS over the Clarion? I have just heard the Pioneer at a local shop today. The system sound fine but the sound wasn't detail enough to be great. I suspect the Memphis amp and speakers were the reason....but hard to tell in a show room.

Towncar
10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
^^Dont ever judge by a Sound room. The 880 is an excelent cdplayer, and near impossible to beat for the price stand point imo.

MDXBLUE
10-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi,

I have no doubt the 880PRS can't be beat for the price. If my budget is around $800~ $1000, would you still recommend the pioneer?

Eugenics
10-13-2006, 01:33 AM
well, you could go with the 960 too, it looks nicer to me, has colour screen and a slick blue tooth integration. I mean, if you really want you can go with the clarion you can. its a good deck dont get me wrong. But i would personally rather drop that extra 500+ into something that im actually going to see more than a negligable difference in, such as speakers or install if you're not doing it yourself. At the end of the day though, its your money and you should do whatever makes you happy.

6spdcoupe
10-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Perhaps wait til after CES to see what Clarions owner Hitachi produces for us?