PDA

View Full Version : A/D/S components, pictures

skydeaner
10-09-2006, 10:33 PM
What do you think of this crossover?

http://home.insightbb.com/~sdp/ads/crossover.jpg

comments? more pics to come...

EDIT:

pic of the whole set. These things murder my mb quart premiums in sq and volume. They are an incredibly smooth and warm set of speakers.

http://home.insightbb.com/~sdp/ads/ads.jpg

nauc
10-10-2006, 02:26 AM
they look nice, love to hear some

what are you going to use with them

frzninvt
10-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Those look nice for the DEI built versions, they can certainly be had cheap on eBay. Sometimes as cheap as $125-$135 a pair which is a steal. I prefer the little bit older ADST built versions. Here is a picture of my networks. If you want to take them to another level replace the stock caps with Kimber Kaps or AuriCap Theta's althought they sound great right out of the box.

skydeaner
10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah i got them off ebay, they sound beautiful. Really laid back sounding, but still really detailed compared to the mb quart premiums I had before these. They get a lot louder too and handle more power.

superdooperman
10-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I really hate the speaker wire inputs on those crossovers, and most DEI equipment in general. They become very flimsy and breakable over time.

Nice set of speakers other then that though, I heard them at my local store, and almost bought a set.

skydeaner
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Yup I snapped off half of the screw on each woofer makin sure my wires were tight. I'm gonna have to get them out with pliers and then use regular screws. Other than that I have no complaints though.

skydeaner
10-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Anyone know specifically what the midrange contour does on these? I know one setting is supposedly for a sound board and one is for a car. But what does it do?

blue
10-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I used ADS 6.5" components about 5 years ago. If memory serves me right , they were called 336 is ..... They were VERY impressive speakers that would play extremely loud without a hint of distortion. They did usually require quite a bit of EQing for most cars , but they were always smooth. Some people found them almost too warm , but most loved them. Good luck with yours ...

champ_168
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I have a set of these ADS 346cs and a set of mb 216 qsd in the same car...
I had these up front and wired to the front channel of a jl 450/4 (2x150)
and I have the QSD in back wired to the rear channel of the amp (2x75)

And the Mb quarts still dwarf these speakers...everyone that sits in my car can hear the difference right away..
"Are the rear speakers cleaner than the fronts?"

Since then I switched them around and the car sounds a lot better.

The ADS 346cs are ADS top of the line and are nice speakers, but for the price tag about 699 new or about 150-350 new from ebay seller...
MbQ QSD are worth the extra cost over these about 1100 new or about 325-400 new from an ebay seller.

The tweets on the mbq are way cleaner and the woofer hits much more solid and louder.

Not to take away from your purchase...These speakers are great up front on their own with some basic rear speakers to compliment them...

Both my speakers sets are before both companies been bought out...so i have no opinion on the new maxxsonics MBQ QSD line and no opinion on the Directd line of ADS...

Notwerk
10-18-2006, 03:18 AM
If you have 346CS comps, then those are most definitely post-buyout and not pre. The older a/d/s stuff were the IS, AL, etc. But the CS models are after the DEI buyout.

I think someone that doesn't like metal dome tweeters, like myself, would recoil at the sight of the Quarts. Where you and your friends call that cleaner, I call it ear-piercing.

Different strokes for different folks, but I never did hear a Quart tweeter I liked (unless it was WAY off-axis or something).