PDA

View Full Version : too much low, not enough high

pboulos
10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
so in my expy i just installed my 4 memphis pr 10's with my hifonics zeus xi which gives me a total of 1200 watts towards subs/lows but the problem here is my speakers all around the car are stock and i knew it would be a problem but i didnt think it would be this bad because the car has the stock mach 460. anyways, when im really bumpin i can barely hear the music so what can i do to give me alot more on the high-end? i dont really want to add another amp because my electric system is still completely stock and i dont want to strain anymore than it already is. any help would be appreciated

ampresearch
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
so in my expy i just installed my 4 memphis pr 10's with my hifonics zeus xi which gives me a total of 1200 watts towards subs/lows but the problem here is my speakers all around the car are stock and i knew it would be a problem but i didnt think it would be this bad because the car has the stock mach 460. anyways, when im really bumpin i can barely hear the music so what can i do to give me alot more on the high-end? i dont really want to add another amp because my electric system is still completely stock and i dont want to strain anymore than it already is. any help would be appreciated

if your problem is your bass over pwoers the highs and mids the only choices you have are to turn down the bass or get another amp and a nice set or two of components

pboulos
10-09-2006, 05:53 PM
are there any coaxials that i could run off the stock amp that would get considerably louder than the speakers already in there. i only want to replace the front speakers because i keep it faded all the way to the front

pboulos
10-09-2006, 05:54 PM
edit: they are 6x8's in the front doors

Notwerk
10-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, your problem is that you have 1,200 watts going to your subs and about 3 or 4 going to your front stage (if you're powering off a stock deck). Solution? You'll have to upgrade the front stage. Probably wouldn't be much trouble to put 6.5 inch comps in that (you'll need to fab an MDF adaptor to get the woofer into the 6x8 inch opening). Add a decent two-channel amp to power them, and turn down the bass.

If you insist on getting something that mounts coaxially, many manufacturers are making convertable models now (Image Dynamics, CDT, a/d/s, Boston Accoustics for example) that can be mounted either as components or as coaxial speakers. Morel also makes a very high-end coaxial solution, the Integra Ovation.

Personally, I'd dump at least two of the subs while I'm at it ;) But I'm not a basshead, so...

pboulos
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
i guess i overexaggerated my first post. i can still hear the music while the bass is up but i would just like the music to be loud and clear

mlstrass
10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Not familiar with the mach 460, is that a powered system? I've had good luck with JBL GTO's running off a typical 25wpc HU.

If you don't want to add an amp then look for the highest dB efficiency as that speaker will get louder off of less power then a lower dB efficiency rated speaker. Demo some brands at your local BB or CC. You're probably going to be looking at the cheapo "replacement" type speakers.

Personally I'd recommend doing the BIG 3, getting a budget amp and some decent comps or coax's for up front to compliment your substage.

For a budget set up I'd get the 6x9 REV's and a Profile amp. Also a mids/hi's amp will NOT stress your electrical like a sub amp, so you should be fine.