PDA

View Full Version : should i get components or coaxials

hondarider
10-08-2006, 10:28 PM
I want to spend about $150 on new front speakers and I don't know if i should get components or coaxials. I know what the difference is and i know components are usually better but in this price range would there be a big difference? I plan on using an amp. Would it be worth the extra work to get components and find a spot for the tweeter? any suggestions on speakers are welcome too.:)

DoobieBrother
10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd go components. And if you're willing to go used, you can find some pretty decent ones at that price.

hondarider
10-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't really want to buy used.

hondarider
10-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Are there any decent components sets that are convertable? (The tweeter can attach to woofer to be a coaxial)

OnYrMrk
10-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Before you go with what people here say, check out this install: Bigg's 82 Regal back in '97 (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/garybiggs.htm)

Those were coax JBL's and one solobaric sub. That was all he had and he dominated that class! So just cause it is a coax, doesn't mean you can't get great sound out of it. Let your ears be the judge.

joe

Suomi
10-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Are there any decent components sets that are convertable? (The tweeter can attach to woofer to be a coaxial)

I can think of two off hand: Polk SR and Exile Xtecs. I know there are more, but these are the only two that I can think of right now.

Symon_say
10-09-2006, 10:57 AM

PG xenon really nice comp if you can find it

Rochambeau
10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Boston Pro50 & Pro60, Z5 & Z6 all ship in a coaxial configuration but are designed to be disassembled for component installation if you so desire. Looks reasonably simple to do.

Unfortunately, both the Pro and Z lines are outside of the price range you specify. If you can squeeze it in your budget, the Pros are very nice speakers indeed. Perhaps buying used will make it possible. Just make sure to go with a reputable forum member for them.

PremierAudio
10-24-2006, 11:23 PM
CDT Audio makes a few convertible sets. Their CL Series are in your price range.

ultimate157
10-25-2006, 12:16 AM
CDT Audio makes a few convertible sets. Their CL Series are in your price range.

Definitely CDTs. My set sounds VERY nice and the mid bass is amazing. Check out the set in my signature (link). Right at your budget.