PDA

View Full Version : Help with iPod compatible units

AsthmaticZero
10-08-2006, 06:33 PM
I just bought a Sony CDX-GT500 along with a Sony iPod interface box and installed it the other day. Everything seemed to work great at first until I realized I had 2 major problems with the iPod control functions.

1. The deck only let me search through the iPod by Album title, which is slow as hell, and...

2. Everytime I turned the car off and then came back, the iPod would start playing from the first song on the first album alphabetically, instead of remembering where I left off.

These two problems are major deal breakers for me and I think I'm going to return the deck and try out an Alpine instead. The iPod connector is cheaper ($30 compared to $50 on the Sony) and I have heard good things about the sound quality. I'm just concerned about how it works with the iPod. If anyone could help me out with some info regarding those issues I would really appreciate it.

Spud2388
10-08-2006, 07:46 PM
i have a 9857 with the new ipod unit, and it works really good. You can search through album, artist, song, and playlist, and it hase the 'percentage skip' feature, which allows you to use the 6 preset buttons to skip a certain percentage of the list (handy with alot of songs). Scrolling is pretty quick, not as quick as an ipod, but pretty close. The only thing I can think of that i dont like is the fact that after you do a search and select a song, then try to go back and search under the same artist or album, you have to start from the very begining and find the artist first, then the album, then the song. Its not a major deal, but can be frustrating at times. As of now, alpine's interface is one of the best out there, so I dont think you'll find anything better until next year when companies release their new lines.

Rochambeau
10-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Just remember that you want an Alpine with Full Speed. Performance on the previous interface they used was less than stellar and more expensive.

AsthmaticZero
10-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to return my Sony and pick up the Alpine in the morning.