PDA

View Full Version : Need help: 6.5" DIY Mid suggestions

Hundreth
10-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I need a good pair of 6.5" mids that I'm gonna be mating with Seas 25TAFNC / D Neo tweets. I'm going to be running active with power and crossovers provided by my Kicker SX700.4. My budget for the mids is around $100.

Now heres my issue, I'm seriously thinking about getting the 4 ohm Dayton RS180s... but I understand that they like to be crossed over very low ( < 2Khz) and lack some midrange detail without serious EQing. My Seas tweets can play down to around 2Khz but I prefer them crossed over a bit higher than that. Basically, I don't want a gap around 2 Khz but still want a mid with decent midbass.

I'm also considering the AA Poly mids but I'm a little worried about the tinsel slap issues and I hear that they don't sound as natural and realistic as the Daytons. I'm also unsure what they like to be crossed at...

So basically, I'm looking for suggestions on mids that will fit the bill in my simple 2-way setup. Decent midbass, able to play well slightly above 2Khz, around $100 or less. Also maybe someone could tell me if the AA Poly mids will indeed do what I need.

Thanks, sorry for the essay.

alphakenny1
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
maybe the seas ca18rnx if you can up your budget a bit. also don't be worried about gaps. in an active setup gaps are fine. i had my seas lotus reference tweets crossed at 2.5khz @ 12db/oct and the my mids at 80hz and 800hz. huge gap right? yes but it sounded so much better when i had the mids crossed at 2khz. don't be afraid of gaps ;).

MrSwiss
10-07-2006, 10:00 PM
tinsel slap problem? i havent noticed =/

maldecido33
10-07-2006, 10:07 PM
AA Poly's, without a doubt

Hundreth
10-07-2006, 10:08 PM
maybe the seas ca18rnx if you can up your budget a bit.

Bleh 8 ohm... My tweets would be getting more power than my mids... :crap:

alphakenny1
10-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Bleh 8 ohm... My tweets would be getting more power than my mids... :crap:

8 ohm schmieght ohm. not only that your tweets never see probably no more than 15-20 watts anyways ;). i ran my seas ca18rly (same as ca18rnx but with a smaller motor) off of 35 watts and sounded great.

NCHEVYHEVN
10-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Look at the dayton dc-160 You can get them in 8ohm non shielded or 4ohm shielded. The 4ohm ones kinda **** though cause their so big since they are shielded.

Speedyd718
10-08-2006, 12:03 AM
i vote poly mids. i haven't heard any slap either (but i haven't amped them yet either, just stock deck)

Notwerk
10-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Look into Peerless yet? They're big, but if you can fit them, they might do the trick.

mlstrass
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Another vote for the AA poly mids. Never heard any tinsel lead slap on mine and I push them hard. I've had to deaden my doors/door panels 3 times to get things to stop rattling. These mids put out some incredible bass IMO.

Chad told me to BP them from 80Hz-2500Hz, so that's how I run them. GREAT speaker for the $$$.

I demoed them for a local car audio shop owner a few weeks ago. Played a variety of stuff with kick drums, etc... to make them shine. He was rather impressed, but told me he heard "something" click in the back of the car, implying I had a sub/amp back there. I popped the trunk to show him the empty space and he was even more impressed. Had new subs/amp on order :D

I'm running 2 ported Rl-p 15's and the mids keep up with no problems. I do wish the Vifa tweets were a little louder at times, but they do give off a nice sound and aren't harsh at all, so I can't complain since it's a budget set up.

Hundreth
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Looks like I'm leaning towards the AA Polys since they supposedly have a smoother sound than the RS180s. My tweets are already on the bright side (not harsh) and it seems to me like the Polys are the easier setup to work with especially considering its my first active setup and the RS180s seem to be more difficult to get to sound right.

mlstrass
10-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I think you'll be happy with that decision. At worst you're not out much $$$ "if" you don't like them for some reason and should have no problem selling them or putting them into a small bookshelf set up for the PC or whatever.

I seriously want to do 4 of them with a tweeter for a Center Channel....

MrSwiss
10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
i love my polys. in my next car im using no less than 4 of them >=D very smooth midrange, great midbass.

PRHo
10-12-2006, 01:25 AM
I ran the rs180 and the AA poly mids full range and the rs180 sounded better to me. but why not try the p18rnx thats what i want to do next.

www.zaphaudio.com has reviews of all kinds of 7" mids

Bolognablake
10-12-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm running the Dayton DS 7" in my door right now I've got them crossed over pretty steep at 2.5khz, and they sound fine.