PDA

View Full Version : can anyone really justify spending $10K on rainbow refs?

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 11:08 AM
its just a thought that came across me when going through audiojunkies.com...

those ref 3 ways are basicly $10K...daym i can get a car with that...

i'm sure they are meant for people who probably make 6 figures but daym, honestly i don't think i will spend more then a grand for a nice set of comps even if i did make 6 figs...

http://www.audiojunkies.com/product_detail.php?cid=151&product_id=306

937DYTBOI
10-07-2006, 11:10 AM
yea thats rediculous, i would get a nice set and play with the EQ, i mean how good can the sound get for 10K, does it have live instruments inside the components playing

phyphoestilic
10-07-2006, 11:12 AM
yea thats rediculous, i would get a nice set and play with the EQ, i mean how good can the sound get for 10K, does it have live instruments inside the components playing

u never know :cool:

dvcevoblack
10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I hope they do lifetime warranties for this

937DYTBOI
10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
i hope a reach around comes with it

WhoSayWho?
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I doubt that Rainbow is surprised that this set is not their best seller.

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
You would actually pay less than that. Those prices are just MAP.

But yeah, the prices are a little insane - just proof that the law of diminishing returns gets a little wacky the further out you push it.

Would I ever pay 5+ grand for a pair of comps? Sure - If I got to hear them and they were the best sounding speaker I could possibly imagine. And if was substantially wealthier than I am now.

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I hope they do lifetime warranties for this

They do. Pretty cool of Rainbow I'd say.

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
You would actually pay less than that. Those prices are just MAP.

But yeah, the prices are a little insane - just proof that the law of diminishing returns gets a little wacky the further out you push it.

Would I ever pay 5+ grand for a pair of comps? Sure - If I got to hear them and they were the best sounding speaker I could possibly imagine. And if was substantially wealthier than I am now.

i bet the profit margin must be like $9500 or more...jeeezzuzz

like i said, spending more then $1K even if i was rich is still way out of my book...

i've listened to some nice crystal and cdt sets under $500 and i think its more then good enough...

phyphoestilic
10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I doubt that Rainbow is surprised that this set is not their best seller.

that is a pretty dumb statement. Ur saying the most expensive product a company has to offer isnt their best seller......

Well.... DUH! thats why companies make cheaper products for the people who cant afford the best. Hence so alot of people buy the more affordable product.

WhoSayWho?
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
that is a pretty dumb statement. Ur saying the most expensive product a company has to offer isnt their best seller......

Well.... DUH! thats why companies make cheaper products for the people who cant afford the best. Hence so alot of people buy the more affordable product.

You are honestly one of the dumbest members of this forum.

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:25 AM

You called his statement dumb and then proved his exact point. :eyebrow:

dvcevoblack
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
yea still redicious price for rainbox, should be around 1-2k

WhoSayWho?
10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
You called his statement dumb and then proved his exact point. :eyebrow:

Thank you sir. I really did not think that I needed to go any further with the explaination. I did not, however, count on that other fool being up this early.

phyphoestilic
10-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Thank you sir. I really did not think that I needed to go any further with the explaination. I did not, however, count on that other fool being up this early.

havnt gone to bed yet :laugh:

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 11:28 AM
yea still redicious price for rainbox, should be around 1-2k

nahh...that would be wrong...

they have comps for $1-2K...and they are selling these for this price to skim off the rich as a mofo who has money to burn in their fireplace...

so its smart on their part....

but i'm just saying that from my researching in the car audio world, and IMO, i don't think the marginal sq returns of this set does not offset the extra $9K one would have to pay compared to a $1K set or even a $500 set...

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:34 AM
nahh...that would be wrong...

they have comps for $1-2K...and they are selling these for this price to skim off the rich as a mofo who has money to burn in their fireplace...

so its smart on their part....

but i'm just saying that from my researching in the car audio world, and IMO, i don't think the marginal sq returns of this set does not offset the extra $9K one would have to pay compared to a $1K set or even a $500 set...

How many $1000+ and $5,000+ comps have you heard installed and set up properly during your research?

thch
10-07-2006, 11:35 AM
these speakers are probably never installed by customers. My guess is the local shops sell these for high end installs, in which case who knows what gets charged in the combo speaker+install deal?

phyphoestilic
10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
these speakers are probably never installed by customers. My guess is the local shops sell these for high end installs, in which case who knows what gets charged in the combo speaker+install deal?

Maybe rainbow ment for those to be installed in High end home audio installations

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe rainbow ment for those to be installed in High end home audio installations

Rainbow makes car audio speakers and amps exclusively. They do not make anything for home audio.

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
How many $1000+ and $5,000+ comps have you heard installed and set up properly during your research?

the most expensive set i've sat in and heard are the cdt ultra comps...and they're alittle under a grand

the point is that i've been trying to say is that IMO, i don't think i even need to listen to $5K comps cus i can't justify spending an extra $4K or $9K comps when the $1K comp or less sounds so good already...

i don't see the point in it unless you want to show off to your friends you wasted $5K or $10K on a set of comps...

have you listened to $5K comps? and in your opinion do you think its worth the money and the sound is THAT much better then $1K set ups?

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:43 AM

I agree that this statement is probably mostly true. Enthusiasts at this level will either go DIY and build super comps from raw drivers or are sponsored and don't pay the bills.

Your regular "rich guy" is just going to go to the local high end shop and drop a wad to buy "the best" and have it installed.

WhoSayWho?
10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I am just guessing here, but one possibility is that they made those speakers not so much with an expectation of profits from the sell of those units, but more to showcase the company's capabilities and technology.

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I am just guessing here, but one possibility is that they made those speakers not so much with an expectation of profits from the sell of those units, but more to showcase the company's capabilities and technology.

true...but how much do you think the materials costed them? i'm sure theres some overhead coverage involved too but i'm guessing they didn't spend more then several hundred on parts...

squeak9798
10-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Then guess what.....the speakers are obviously not for you.

It really is that simple.

If you think the price is too high or you can not afford, then you are not in Rainbow's target market when they decided to release those speakers for sale.

There are people out there who can afford them, and think that the increase in price is worth it not only for sound but also for the prestige of owning the Rainbow Reference series.

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
have you listened to $5K comps? and in your opinion do you think its worth the money and the sound is THAT much better then $1K set ups?

Nope. And that is why I cannot say whether or not it is worth it.

I can tell you my Rainbow Power CS ($1200 MAP on AudioJunkies) were worth every penny I paid for them.

squeak9798
10-07-2006, 11:50 AM

:laugh: :hilariou: :laugh:

WhoSayWho?
10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
true...but how much do you think the materials costed them? i'm sure theres some overhead coverage involved too but i'm guessing they didn't spend more then several hundred on parts...

I have no idea. To tell the truth, I am sometimes amazed at the quality of products that we can purchase for what seems to be relatively cheap.

And I don't doubt that they make money on a given sale.

GrnEydDvl
10-07-2006, 11:52 AM

If you think the price is too high or you can not afford, then you are not in Rainbow's target market when they decided to release those speakers for sale.

There are people out there who can afford them, and think that the increase in price is worth it not only for sound but also for the prestige of owning the Rainbow Reference series.

Well said.

It is hard to argue that a highly successful company is making bad choices when their bottom line is so strong.

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 11:53 AM

ofcourse...i understand that 100%...

i'm just saying that personally i don't think the marginal gain is worth that much money...

good for the people who can afford $10K comps...i'm sure there is prestige in it and all...i'm sure they really do have money to spend...like some ladies who spend several grand a purse or guys who spend tens of thousands on a few pieces of clothing...

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Nope. And that is why I cannot say whether or not it is worth it.

I can tell you my Rainbow Power CS ($1200 MAP on AudioJunkies) were worth every penny I paid for them.

i'm just saying that on a expodential scale that i've heard:

$50 - usually pretty ******, with amp is still better then coaxials
$100 - better
$250 - comps around this $ range can be pretty daym good
$500 - excellent good but the additional sq starts to deminish
$1000 - once again gain, just alittle bit better, more noticeable then the $500 sets but i bet 99% of the average joes probably won't even notice the difference...

like squeak said, its probably has to do with alot of prestige as well but i'm just amazed at the price...

my point once again is that i don't know about you guys but even if i was rich, i don't think i can justify the small incremental increase in the sound to the big jump in price...

alphakenny1
10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
anyways, its just like justifying spending 300k + on a ferrari. same idea. if you got the money and want to own something less than 1% of the people in the world have, then go for it.

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 12:14 PM
anyways, its just like justifying spending 300k + on a ferrari. same idea. if you got the money and want to own something less than 1% of the people in the world have, then go for it.

i understand that...

would i take it if i had all the money in the world? in a heart beat, why not?

ok i'm just going in circles now :laugh:

once again i'm just saying that someone could probably get pretty darn close to the sound of those and spend a small fraction of the price...

squeak9798
10-07-2006, 12:22 PM
ok i'm just going in circles now :laugh:

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to figure that out.

once again i'm just saying that someone could probably get pretty darn close to the sound of those and spend a small fraction of the price...

Don't buy them then.

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Don't buy them then.

i'm never gonna :D

i really do wonder how many set's they've sold tho...:p:

bballrrt06
10-07-2006, 12:29 PM
i'd love to hear them

DeuceLee
10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
i'd love to hear them

i'd love the hear them too...

but unless the sound is so good that it takes my mind to a exotic island with unlimited hot bishes and beer then i'm still not gonna spend $10K for it :D

blue
10-07-2006, 02:54 PM
From first hand experience ..... You take a car and gut it completely , install about $7,000 worth of sound deadening / absorbtion, until you can hear your own heartbeat coursing through your ears. Build custom chromoly bracing in strategic places. Run about $20,000 of some of the world's best high-end home audio interconnects and speaker wires. Add about $20,000 in Professional audio processing. Build custom speaker enclosures from concrete , MDF , and exotic composites sandwiched together. Concrete the trunk area and install air suspension to withstand the extra weight. Ect , Ect , Ect .......
YES .... There are people who DO INDEED go this far with their autos. Now ... You don't think there will be a VERY discernable difference in the Rainbow Reference and ANY other sub $2000 set of speakers ?????
Get Real ..... there IS a real reason they cost this much , with the right set-up you CAN hear the differences are HUGE .... , and there IS a market for this expensive of a speaker ...
But no , that target market is NOT posting on ANY forum :D
Remember , what seems rediculous to one man , is pocket change for another.

blue
10-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I just re-read your thread's original title ..... You used the word " justify " ....
People who can buy the Refs don't have to justify it ......

JAZN
10-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Here's someone who justified it (although he is selling them now :p: )
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172921&highlight=rainbow+reference

BlackMaxima
10-07-2006, 09:27 PM
its very simple.

there a very rich poeple out there that but this speakers.
for you $500 is in your limit on a pair of speakers, but for some rich people it maybe $10,000 or more for a pair .

Rainbow sells these speakers at that price because it has people who are welling to spend that kind of money and buy them. $10,000 for these people is not a big deal.

Trust me, there are people who buy them.

BlackMaxima
10-07-2006, 09:40 PM
another thing,

Im nover going to spend $10,000 on speakers, couse i dont have $10,000

but if i had $10,000 **** right i would buy them lol:naughty:

ilvwhtgrls
10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
does anyone really need to hit 150+ db? its all about having a passion in life, for some its girls or money, and for the rest of us its audio.

T3mpest
10-08-2006, 04:07 AM
From first hand experience ..... You take a car and gut it completely , install about $7,000 worth of sound deadening / absorbtion, until you can hear your own heartbeat coursing through your ears. Build custom chromoly bracing in strategic places. Run about $20,000 of some of the world's best high-end home audio interconnects and speaker wires. Add about $20,000 in Professional audio processing. Build custom speaker enclosures from concrete , MDF , and exotic composites sandwiched together. Concrete the trunk area and install air suspension to withstand the extra weight. Ect , Ect , Ect .......
YES .... There are people who DO INDEED go this far with their autos. Now ... You don't think there will be a VERY discernable difference in the Rainbow Reference and ANY other sub $2000 set of speakers ?????
Get Real ..... there IS a real reason they cost this much , with the right set-up you CAN hear the differences are HUGE .... , and there IS a market for this expensive of a speaker ...
But no , that target market is NOT posting on ANY forum :D
Remember , what seems rediculous to one man , is pocket change for another.

Wanna talk about a perfect install, what about home audio? Installs 1000x better than anything in a car due the environment. Martin logan sells 100,000 speakers that have components that can be purchased for MUCH less! All you need is the ability to build a nice cabinet and design crossovers, your not paying for the drivers or tech, it's the name. Most good DIY home audio people will attest to the fact they can get a 10k setup to sound as good or better than a 50k brand name setup, because your paying for the name! Add that to the generally crappy car audio environment (even fully rebuilt dashes, massive deadening, etc, with high end ht gear will only do so much, it's still noting better than an "ok" environment) and yes, it's still very easy to have cheaper components sound better. Especially if they bother to use the passives that come with that 10k comp set!

Lastly, 10k for a fronstage is right on par with some ECA'ers setups, don't know if you frequent there at all, but their is a market on there for speakers like that, I think you had a run in with randy a while back actually.

blue
10-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Wanna talk about a perfect install, what about home audio? Installs 1000x better than anything in a car due the environment. Martin logan sells 100,000 speakers that have components that can be purchased for MUCH less! All you need is the ability to build a nice cabinet and design crossovers, your not paying for the drivers or tech, it's the name. Most good DIY home audio people will attest to the fact they can get a 10k setup to sound as good or better than a 50k brand name setup, because your paying for the name! Add that to the generally crappy car audio environment (even fully rebuilt dashes, massive deadening, etc, with high end ht gear will only do so much, it's still noting better than an "ok" environment) and yes, it's still very easy to have cheaper components sound better. Especially if they bother to use the passives that come with that 10k comp set!

Lastly, 10k for a fronstage is right on par with some ECA'ers setups, don't know if you frequent there at all, but their is a market on there for speakers like that, I think you had a run in with randy a while back actually.

I have a room in my home in Montana that is a theater. I designed it myself , back when I owned a high-end audio store. It has $180,000 worth of equipment alone , and that was my " cost " pricing ...... I think I know :D
My point was : Yes , a person CAN justify speakers costing that much, in the right conditions ...

60ndown
10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
i believe if someone is going to spend 'that' kinda money on audio, they need to re-evaluate what life is actually about. personally id rather help 6 of my friends buy a house, then have some stupid high end speakers in my front room. but thats me :)

ilvwhtgrls
10-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Buying a home in CA for 10k? That is not even enough to cover the commisions for the real estate agents.

60ndown
10-08-2006, 03:55 PM
help buy 6 houses, $180,000 would cover a good chunk

T3mpest
10-08-2006, 03:59 PM
i believe if someone is going to spend 'that' kinda money on audio, they need to re-evaluate what life is actually about. personally id rather help 6 of my friends buy a house, then have some stupid high end speakers in my front room. but thats me :)

don't forget, the price you paid for your stuff could have helped those "for only pennies a day" kids you see on TV....

squeak9798
10-08-2006, 04:06 PM

Then I presume you only own things essential to sustaining your own survival, and give away every other cent you earn to aid others? Like this internet you are typing on...hope it's free from your local library. Because otherwise, why aren't you giving that money away to charities instead of buying a computer and subscribing to the internet with it? I really hope you don't own a TV and subscribe to cable/satellite...because that money could have gone to helping a single unemployed mother feed her children. That stereo you listen to in your car/home....that money could have went to a homeless man. Hell, why even have a car? You could just walk, ride a bike or take public transportation everywhere and given that money to your local foodbank. You don't need a car.

Why shouldn't someone who has the money spend it on the luxuries he wants? You do exactly the same, only on a smaller scale due to your similarly smaller disposable income.

60ndown
10-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Then I presume you only own things essential to sustaining your own survival, and give away every other cent you earn to aid others? Like this internet you are typing on...hope it's free from your local library. Because otherwise, why aren't you giving that money away to charities instead of buying a computer and subscribing to the internet with it? I really hope you don't own a TV and subscribe to cable/satellite...because that money could have gone to helping a single unemployed mother feed her children. That stereo you listen to in your car/home....that money could have went to a homeless man. Hell, why even have a car? You could just walk, ride a bike or take public transportation everywhere and given that money to your local foodbank. You don't need a car.

Why should someone who has the money spend it on the luxuries he wants. You do exactly the same, only on a smaller scale due to your similarly smaller disposable income.

i wish i were a perfect example of humanity. enjoying life is ok if you ask me but imo $180,000 on a stereo is beyond reason.

GrnEydDvl
10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
i wish i were a perfect example of humanity. enjoying life is ok if you ask me but imo $180,000 on a stereo is beyond reason.

Just like to my wife, spending $1800 on a car stereo is beyond her reason. She still supports me, though.

Pr0d1gy
10-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Let's not go overboard on this guys. Are they overpriced? You bet your *** they are, just like most of the Rainbow speakers, but the thing is that people pay over $100,000 for home audio speakers all the **** time. So what is the big deal about trying to sell some for the car for 1/10th that price? There is nothing unusual about any of this, except maybe that it is gear designed for a car, because people have been doing this for years in the home side of the business.

I can't count how many times I have seen people drop $40k on a pair of Martin Logans, despite the fact that the $5k Vienna Acoustics sounded just as good. That's life in the big city folks, and many of those people are ruled by the almighty dollar....might as well give a little chuckle at them and move on with your own life.

dleccord
10-09-2006, 12:12 AM
thats retarded

JimJ
10-09-2006, 12:20 AM
$10k...pfft...

WAVAC charges $350k a pair for their 833A amplifiers, and they don't lack for sales :)

120VAC audio is a land of fools easily seperated from their money...hell, look at me...:D

nauc
10-09-2006, 02:05 AM
someone needs to make $10k speakers to go with those $1m sports cars

hello :uhoh:

bri487
10-09-2006, 02:18 AM
they sound darn good, but not 10k good.

3.5Max6spd
10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Someone out there wants the pinnacle of craftsmanship and R&D from such company, a HANDMADE PER ORDER set and has the luxury to be able to afford it. Yes when you order these, you have to wait until they ARE MADE for you. THey are not sitting on shelves. You can also request certain custom parameters. Lifetime warranty.

There are people out there with $100k home theater rooms, and front tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands for artwork (paintings , etc...) so there sure is a market for audiophiles with deep pockets.

bri487
10-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Someone out there wants the pinnacle of craftsmanship and R&D from such company, a HANDMADE PER ORDER set and has the luxury to be able to afford it. Yes when you order these, you have to wait until they ARE MADE for you. THey are not sitting on shelves. You can also request certain custom parameters. Lifetime warranty.

There are people out there with $100k home theater rooms, and front tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands for artwork (paintings , etc...) so there sure is a market for audiophiles with deep pockets.

hmm, makes me think of esb of italy :naughty:

Pr0d1gy
10-09-2006, 08:49 PM

Especially when you get so much more enjoyment out of great audio than most people ever will out of any artwork....cept maybe the Cistene (sp?) Chapel. :D

bri487
10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Especially when you get so much more enjoyment out of great audio than most people ever will out of any artwork....cept maybe the Cistene (sp?) Chapel. :D

sistine, and no its not the ceiling that is the jewel of that room. there are many great pieces of art out there that i would rather have than audio, but i just dont have the $50m needed to buy them, so i guess i will stick with sound.

Hebrew Hammer
10-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Who ever wants to find out for $4000 shipped let me know :D

toolfan89
10-09-2006, 11:49 PM
for that price a pair of hot asian chicks should be thrown in the deal

smd4life
10-09-2006, 11:49 PM
if i had those comps, i'd charge people to listen...

6spdcoupe
10-10-2006, 12:12 AM
hmm, makes me think of esb of italy :naughty:

but your Zaps are sitting on shelves.

and sitting...and sitting...

bri487
10-10-2006, 02:01 AM
but your Zaps are sitting on shelves.

and sitting...and sitting...

???

helotaxi
10-10-2006, 02:12 AM
someone needs to make $10k speakers to go with those $1m sports cars

hello :uhoh:

Why in the holy hell would you do something to 1) add weight to such a car or 2) cover up the beautiul banshee wail of the engine/exhaust?

Course the people that buy such cars don't do so for the performance, they do it for the exclusivity. Same with stupid expensive audio gear. It's not about how good it is, it's entirely about how many (or more correctly few) other people have the same thing.

klepto
10-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Im baffled at those speakers. I had no idea something like that could cost so much. :eyebrow:

ssj2xxgotenxx
10-14-2006, 05:15 AM
$10,000 is pocket change in comparision to the world of Home Audio. In which case is more worth it because you're in your house more than you're in your car.

GeeTEye
10-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Well all you big shots out there how much IS too much. What price is too much for the average person who could even afford it? What if Dynaudio had a set of $35,000 comps and they were daymn good, or better yet $100,000. Even if you just won the lotto would you buy a set of $100K comps? At what point would even the most picky sound quality guy say "Hell no I'm not paying for that and I can afford it". Rainbow might have these priced this way just to say they are a company who has $10,000 comps and the people that buy them definatly want you to know they spent that kind of dough too. Perfect example is the 1 Million dollar Jaguar. Can a millon dollar Jaguar car do something a 130K 911 Porsche can't. NO it can't just bragging rights for who can afford it.

saywhat?
10-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Well all you big shots out there how much IS too much. What price is too much for the average person who could even afford it? What if Dynaudio had a set of $35,000 comps and they were daymn good, or better yet $100,000. Even if you just won the lotto would you buy a set of $100K comps? At what point would even the most picky sound quality guy say "Hell no I'm not paying for that and I can afford it". Rainbow might have these priced this way just to say they are a company who has $10,000 comps and the people that buy them definatly want you to know they spent that kind of dough too. Perfect example is the 1 Million dollar Jaguar. Can a millon dollar Jaguar car do something a 130K 911 Porsche can't. NO it can't just bragging rights for who can afford it.

actually it can......it can be a jaguar. but a porsche can be a porsche too, and nothing else can. Its not a matte of JUSTIFYING your purchase, its a matter of wanting the absolute best at any cost. Because I will put a set of them (10k) saying the people who buy them have the sickest installs as far as utilizing the speakers, maybe not looks, but actually using them CORRECTLY

JimJ
10-14-2006, 09:48 AM

If people have the disposable income to spend, there's a market for it...there are people that spend millions on art that simply hangs on the wall, a couple hundred thousand for a stereo system seems trivial at that point :)

You're right, past a certain point the advantages are very, very, very slim if none at all. But that's not the point, as you said :)