PDA

View Full Version : just what exactly do you guys mean by "old school"?

ksauers
10-06-2006, 10:44 PM
above

SAG3
10-06-2006, 10:46 PM
School old, duh.

thatkidbob
haha, i mean OLD period.

saywhat?
old school for AUDIO ****, id say pre-95 now.

Megalomaniac
10-06-2006, 10:48 PM
to me it means a product/thing that has not been used in years and is outdated

Rich B
10-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Look at the picture under my name, thats an example of old school.

1990 Hifonics Ophelia with dual 10 band EQ's and dual 3 way crossovers in one unit.

6spdcoupe
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I like to refer to it as original school. :)

OnYrMrk
10-07-2006, 12:49 AM
American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ. Rockford Fosgate, Orion, MTX, Phoenix Gold....

Audio Control EQT's, Coustic Amp460, Linear Power, Ads Powerplate. Altec Lansing components, USD Waveguides, Stillwater Designs (Gold Lettering), Punch45, Punch75, Punch150, Power300, Power650, Power1000, Orion 225HCCA, 250HCCA, XTreme100, Xtreme Subs, PPI Art Series amps, M&M Godfathers, 6 green button Alpine , 7909, McIntosh MX5000, MCD5000, MC4000M. When Rear Fill was king, Centerchannels ruled, kickpanels were non-existant. When SQ meant 8 15's and a pair of 4x6 plates. Pioneer just introduced the Supertuner FM tuner.
Sony ES was king and Eclipse didn't exist. When Clarion was a joke and Jensen Quadrax 6x9's were the best. Old School now is a state of mind. A time to take you back to the roots of car audio. A time when 400w was alot, and 5000w was unheard of. Back before Dampner, when a true system was hooked up with 4g wire, no "big 3" or caps. When IASCA was formed from the Car Audio Nationals (Alpine Nationals), When USAC was just for SPL.

We remember the time when you used Optima (Radio Shack) free air woofers, a 7-band 250w Pyramid Graphic EQ crusing down the local drag while blasting "Time for a Soda".

Aaaaaaa....those were the days.

ntense702
10-07-2006, 12:55 AM
American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ. Rockford Fosgate, Orion, MTX, Phoenix Gold....

Audio Control EQT's, Coustic Amp460, Linear Power, Ads Powerplate. Altec Lansing components, USD Waveguides, Stillwater Designs (Gold Lettering), Punch45, Punch75, Punch150, Power300, Power650, Power1000, Orion 225HCCA, 250HCCA, XTreme100, Xtreme Subs, PPI Art Series amps, M&M Godfathers, 6 green button Alpine , 7909, McIntosh MX5000, MCD5000, MC4000M. When Rear Fill was king, Centerchannels ruled, kickpanels were non-existant. When SQ meant 8 15's and a pair of 4x6 plates. Pioneer just introduced the Supertuner FM tuner.
Sony ES was king and Eclipse didn't exist. When Clarion was a joke and Jensen Quadrax 6x9's were the best. Old School now is a state of mind. A time to take you back to the roots of car audio. A time when 400w was alot, and 5000w was unheard of. Back before Dampner, when a true system was hooked up with 4g wire, no "big 3" or caps. When IASCA was formed from the Car Audio Nationals (Alpine Nationals), When USAC was just for SPL.

We remember the time when you used Optima (Radio Shack) free air woofers, a 7-band 250w Pyramid Graphic EQ crusing down the local drag while blasting "Time for a Soda".

wow, nice post man.

WhoSayWho?
10-07-2006, 12:56 AM
the above sums it up nicely. can remember the first time I heard someone list clarion as one of the better hu's and I was :confused:

ntense702
10-07-2006, 12:58 AM
I remember thump, mtx road thunder, fosgate, round solobarics, lol.

GordonW
10-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Real old school?

Audiomobile, Zapco (the three piece amps), Craig Powerplay, Becker, Alphasonik (german-made), Proton, Autotek (AMERICAN made, PRE-Hifonics), Fosgate Audionics, Sanyo PA6100 amps, EPI LS-70 plates, BABB car speakers, Pyle (from Huntington IN), M&M, Monolithic, ODI Redline speakers, Linear Power, Visonik (German-made), using Dynaudio drivers from Madisound in cars, Gold Sound, Altec-Lansing 6x9-4B's, Deltasonik, AFS Kriket, Blaupunkt New York cassette decks, Fultron (before they became Memphis), Concord, Technics car audio.

Renting an old building, getting three of your buddies together, and starting a car stereo shop in a tiny south GA town.

When car stereo contests were some dude with an old EV or Shure RTA and a hand-held SPL meter.

When you had to travel HALF A STATE to even GET to a car audio contest (and winning it!).

When putting a baffle over the tire well in an '84 Z-28 and mounting woofers in there, was considered HIGH TECH.

When DIN cables reigned supreme for preamp signal cables, at Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer and Technics.

When CD players for cars were a BRAND NEW thing, and were way too expensive for almost anyone to afford (and they SKIPPED... a LOT).

When building a wall for woofers, behind the front seats of a car, was considered absolutely impossibly insane (but we did it anyway!).

When the Kicker Black Beauty Astro van (9 18" Comps, plus midbass and highs, running from 14 bridged Linear Power 5002 amps) was the loudest thing anyone had heard (155.5 dB in 1989!).

The first Masters Car Audio Contest in Athens GA (where Richard Clark only came in SECOND place, though he SHOULD have won).

When certain people from Florida (who will not be named :D ) were caught CHEATING at a contest, with hidden Rockford-Fosgate Power 1000 amps (hidden INSIDE a sub enclosure), in a Suburban that CLAIMED to only be powered by a bunch of Punch 45 amps (I saw this in person!).

Yeah, those were interesting times...

Regards,
Gordon.

Abel
10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Lets not forget about the old SAS Bazooka tubes!!!!! and Pullout H.U.s instead of detachable face plates!

ssj2xxgotenxx
10-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I like to refer to it as original school. :)

I like that, I'm going to steal it from you kthxbye.

GordonW
10-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Oh, and who could forget- Nakamichi auto-reverse cassette decks, that actually POPPED THE TAPE OUT, PHYSICALLY FLIPPED IT and PUT IT BACK IN AUTOMATICALLY, to change tape directions. Yep, the famous Nak Dragon car deck...

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Lets not forget about the old SAS Bazooka tubes!!!!!

The very FIRST travelling sales rep from SAS- a guy in an '84 Chevy S-10 pickup, with an original T16 (dual-ended 6" tube, woofer on each end) in the back. We were the first Bazooka dealer in GA, at a shop I worked at in summer of '86!

and Pullout H.U.s instead of detachable face plates!

Heck, what about Bensi Boxes? Converted ANY head unit to a pull-out! Very popular in Northern cities (NY, Chicago, etc.) for a short while, but proved to be a total PITA after you had them a while (bad connections in the contacts and such!)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Megalomaniac
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Nos anyone
http://www.cbrstereo.com/ProductImages/Bazooka/NOS8.jpg

Abel
10-10-2006, 05:16 PM
The very FIRST travelling sales rep from SAS- a guy in an '84 Chevy S-10 pickup, with an original T16 (dual-ended 6" tube, woofer on each end) in the back. We were the first Bazooka dealer in GA, at a shop I worked at in summer of '86!

Heck, what about Bensi Boxes? Converted ANY head unit to a pull-out! Very popular in Northern cities (NY, Chicago, etc.) for a short while, but proved to be a total PITA after you had them a while (bad connections in the contacts and such!)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Man my first setup was a Alpine pullout<pretty sure it was alpine>, 2 8" sas tubes and a punch 45 amp :eek:

3.5Max6spd
10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Oldschool to me is when analog processing/devices reigned supreme. None of that digital crap nowdays...No shortcuts...when tonality was more important than staging.

Savstyle
10-10-2006, 05:23 PM
when i think of old school i think of GordonW

J/K

lamont1
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
yall forgot about jensen,sparkomatic,kraco,and realistic:D

Paddywad
10-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Don't forget Roadmaster.

Rich B
10-10-2006, 05:40 PM
You want to see real old school?

Look at these 4 pages in the "Online Car Audio Museum".

http://thoraudio1.elitecaraudio.org/photo3.html
Museum

JimJ
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
to me it means a product/thing that has not been used in years and is outdated

Outdated is where it's at :)

bonesninja
10-10-2006, 05:51 PM
old skool is relative to one's age....for instance, some of the old farts, myself included, can remember when the old skool pullouts first came out and it was cool to walk around the mall carrying the whole **** headunit by the handle. and JC Whitney had these things that went over the headunit and actually locked into the dash, thus keeping your headunit safe from would-be thieves.

AK SloPok
10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Two systems I that really remember that really stand out...

One, Sansui (slide out) deck that "locked" in when you pushed the metal handel down. A Kraco 200 watt eq/equalizer with two Kraco 6" truck boxes each with a 6.5" passive radiator! Awesome.. then switching to two punch 12" that I had to carry on the plane from Gulfport Mississipi, I still miss those Punch woofers...

Next one, first gen Pioneer Supertuner CD player as the Sony I was rocking skipped when the bass hit... so bad that I could not play most songs. Epicenter, EQL, 2 amps (thrown in the rear cubby, with 2 15s 2 12s and 2 10s in the SAME BOX... later replaced by MTX RFLs 15's... that cost me a ton back then.....

So cool when I think about it. Wish I still had some of that stuff... fun... that's what it was

WhoSayWho?
10-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh, and who could forget- Nakamichi auto-reverse cassette decks, that actually POPPED THE TAPE OUT, PHYSICALLY FLIPPED IT and PUT IT BACK IN AUTOMATICALLY, to change tape directions. Yep, the famous Nak Dragon car deck...

Regards,
Gordon.

Now you are just making **** up.:p:

noob with an RS
10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Lets not forget about the old SAS Bazooka tubes!!!!! and Pullout H.U.s instead of detachable face plates!

x2 bazookas FTW! :woot:

ogjpx
12-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Does anyone remember Concord decks, 'EV' -spa and pro-line woofers, Sanyo pa6100 amps, and MGT crossovers?

6spdcoupe
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I do indeed remeber the Concord decks. Was one of my first 'upper level' HUs back in..hmm 91-92 maybe?

helotaxi
12-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Phoenix Gold has always been in Portland, Oregon for the record.

In my eyes, old school was back when subs and amps were made in the US, speakers were made in the US or Europe, processors were made by AudioControl or HiFonics, HUs were made in Japan. CDs were a luxury, and an annoyance. SpeakerWorks was still in the business of winning the IASCA finals with aperiodic sub installs and their in house waveguides. Speaker Warehouse was doing the same from the other coast with their signature blend of PPI amps (AM or ProMOS series, the Art series was still a few years down the road), MB Quart speakers, Alpine heads, AudioControl EQs and crossovers and their homebrew house brand sub; you may have heard of the brand: JL Audio.

Whole systems were run at that time off one 2-channel amp. A really small one at that. The thought of more than 1kw was almost laughable for all but the most hardcore competitor in a dedicated competition vehicle. Sub enclosures were sealed. Fiberglass in an install was rare. Vinyl, formica and Fleckstone over flat panels is where it was at. Accent lighting was neon, not LED.

Solobaric didn't exist. Kicker made SQ subs, in fact that is what the original Solobarics were. Soundstream products were blue, period. Amps were cooled with fins, not fans. Low power class vehicles had lots of speakers (37 in the Speaker warehouse Blazer that won in the 0-100W class 5 years in a row.) High power class cars had 6 (SpeakerWorks GN and Harry Kimura's Accord specifically).

The over-riding theme of the day when it came to serious aftermarket stereo was sound quality not sound quantity in a vehicle that was still functional as transportation. Flashy show cars didn't intermingle with the car audio scene. There were audio comps and there were car comps and never the two shall meet.

99gtxgolfer
12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
back in the day?

6spdcoupe
12-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Phoenix Gold has always been in Portland, Oregon for the record.

In my eyes, old school was back when subs and amps were made in the US, speakers were made in the US or Europe, processors were made by AudioControl or HiFonics, HUs were made in Japan. CDs were a luxury, and an annoyance. SpeakerWorks was still in the business of winning the IASCA finals with aperiodic sub installs and their in house waveguides. Speaker Warehouse was doing the same from the other coast with their signature blend of PPI amps (AM or ProMOS series, the Art series was still a few years down the road), MB Quart speakers, Alpine heads, AudioControl EQs and crossovers and their homebrew house brand sub; you may have heard of the brand: JL Audio.

Whole systems were run at that time off one 2-channel amp. A really small one at that. The thought of more than 1kw was almost laughable for all but the most hardcore competitor in a dedicated competition vehicle. Sub enclosures were sealed. Fiberglass in an install was rare. Vinyl, formica and Fleckstone over flat panels is where it was at. Accent lighting was neon, not LED.

Solobaric didn't exist. Kicker made SQ subs, in fact that is what the original Solobarics were. Soundstream products were blue, period. Amps were cooled with fins, not fans. Low power class vehicles had lots of speakers (37 in the Speaker warehouse Blazer that won in the 0-100W class 5 years in a row.) High power class cars had 6 (SpeakerWorks GN and Harry Kimura's Accord specifically).

The over-riding theme of the day when it came to serious aftermarket stereo was sound quality not sound quantity in a vehicle that was still functional as transportation. Flashy show cars didn't intermingle with the car audio scene. There were audio comps and there were car comps and never the two shall meet.

WoW now that was a flashback !

But didnt Harry have a Legend not Accord? :)

helotaxi
12-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Now that you mention it you are probably correct. I remember Honda product, but I couldn't remember the exact model. He moved on to a T-bird after that IIRC.

smd4life
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Real old school?

Audiomobile, Zapco (the three piece amps), Craig Powerplay, Becker, Alphasonik (german-made), Proton, Autotek (AMERICAN made, PRE-Hifonics), Fosgate Audionics, Sanyo PA6100 amps, EPI LS-70 plates, BABB car speakers, Pyle (from Huntington IN), M&M, Monolithic, ODI Redline speakers, Linear Power, Visonik (German-made), using Dynaudio drivers from Madisound in cars, Gold Sound, Altec-Lansing 6x9-4B's, Deltasonik, AFS Kriket, Blaupunkt New York cassette decks, Fultron (before they became Memphis), Concord, Technics car audio.

Renting an old building, getting three of your buddies together, and starting a car stereo shop in a tiny south GA town.

When car stereo contests were some dude with an old EV or Shure RTA and a hand-held SPL meter.

When you had to travel HALF A STATE to even GET to a car audio contest (and winning it!).

When putting a baffle over the tire well in an '84 Z-28 and mounting woofers in there, was considered HIGH TECH.

When DIN cables reigned supreme for preamp signal cables, at Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer and Technics.

When CD players for cars were a BRAND NEW thing, and were way too expensive for almost anyone to afford (and they SKIPPED... a LOT).

When building a wall for woofers, behind the front seats of a car, was considered absolutely impossibly insane (but we did it anyway!).

When the Kicker Black Beauty Astro van (9 18" Comps, plus midbass and highs, running from 14 bridged Linear Power 5002 amps) was the loudest thing anyone had heard (155.5 dB in 1989!).

The first Masters Car Audio Contest in Athens GA (where Richard Clark only came in SECOND place, though he SHOULD have won).

When certain people from Florida (who will not be named :D ) were caught CHEATING at a contest, with hidden Rockford-Fosgate Power 1000 amps (hidden INSIDE a sub enclosure), in a Suburban that CLAIMED to only be powered by a bunch of Punch 45 amps (I saw this in person!).

Yeah, those were interesting times...

Regards,
Gordon.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/smd4life/bowdown.gif
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/smd4life/qqqq.gif
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/smd4life/sd.gif
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/smd4life/BermudaBowned.gif
i've got ALOT of respect for the true old schoolers...

ramos
12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
WoW now that was a flashback !

But didnt Harry have a Legend not Accord? :)

Now that you mention it you are probably correct. I remember Honda product, but I couldn't remember the exact model. He moved on to a T-bird after that IIRC.

Yep Mr. Kimura had a legend. I still remember hearing it , and the speaker works buick :bowdown: :)

phaze23lbc
12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Before starting on my xB's audio system, I researched who was building SQ setups and winning competitions, and ended up having Speaker Works build my Scion xB project setup. I also had the pleasure of meeting Harry Kimura at a couple audio comps. Nice guy, very knowledgeable. I remember seeing trucks, vans, bronco's, blazers, and dually's in the staging lanes back in the day. I remember Sherwood, Rockwood, and Pyramid being used in a lot of "show cars" too.

helotaxi
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
The old Sherwoods were actually fairly solid amps. Rockwood, Kenford and Pyramid on the other hand...

ramos-did you hear the Buick before or after RC got ahold of it?

ramos
12-06-2006, 04:45 PM
I think it was after Richard bought it . :)

6spdcoupe
12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
The old Sherwoods were actually fairly solid amps. Rockwood, Kenford and Pyramid on the other hand...

ramos-did you hear the Buick before or after RC got ahold of it?

Ahh yes the old goldish colored Sherwoods with the fan.. model # 240 rings a bell.. they were quite decent for the money.

helotaxi
12-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I think it was after Richard bought it . :)

That's a :( in my book. The sound all came from the Holdaways. The stupid pet tricks came from RC.

ramos
12-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah I talked to eric about it a while back :)

oneflatoniakid
12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Nos anyone
http://www.cbrstereo.com/ProductImages/Bazooka/NOS8.jpg

Are you near Flatonia ,Texas ?

ogjpx
12-08-2006, 02:16 AM
oohh yees! the ol baffle board in the camaro tire well. I remember doing this with a "piano-hinge", till one lazy day when I used some drywall screws that were a lil bit too long. Everthing was all good till the customer brought the car back- (he sometimes smell gas, but only when he has a FULL tank!) And yeah,
Proton decks, my first detachable face HU (with exposed pins). Wow, that's going back a ways. Right around the same time as the Kenwood-999 era.

Notwerk
12-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Did anyone mention Oz Supermans or am I the first?

phenryiv1
12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
If you remember the MTX Terminator, you may be old-skool.

Sadly, I remember when I was the first person in my whole area to buy a CD player for my car stereo setup, which at the time was an Alpine unit that led downstream to a Denon amp that pushed a hifonics 12 in a sealed box. I had pioneer (or sony) 6.5s in the dash if my dodge caravan. The year was 1993.

I went WAY beyond reason in 1994 when I went to a 12-disc (RF-modulated, of course) Pioneer changer WITH A REMOTE. Unfortunately, that car got wrecked and I went to a Jeep Cherokee that I used to haul around a Soundstream amp pushing 1/2 ohm into an Orion DVC 12 in what was for the time a TINY 1.25 cu ft box. That was during the time when EVERYONE was running ported enclosures and just ignoring space considerations. I revamped that system with a Punch 200ix running two RF Punch Audiophile 10s in 2.3 cu ft each, ported. Front stage was a set of Orion 5.25 components powered by a variety of amps- first the Denon, then the Soundstream, then an Alpine 3527, followed by a PPI 100x2 (don't remember the model #), then lastly a Punch 100ix. I had the AudioControl EQ that was (I believe) 13 bands per channel. I also had the 7-dial Pioneer EQ with the sub control. If you had multiple EQs and multiple Punch amps, you were a BALLER back then. I had also switched to a Clarion ProAudio in-dash.

THat summer, I upgraded to what I really felt was the gold-standard for car audio at the time- at least on a budget. Of all of the systems that I had, this MAY have been my favorite.

I upgraded one of the Punch amps to a second 200ix and made a sweet amp rack to display everything, went to 2 punch SVC 12s in a 1.25 per sid sealed box, sold off the Orions and the Audiocontrol, and picked up the ULTIMATE components of the time: MB Quarts! I was in heaven with my dynomatted doors with 5.25" mids down low and the tweets up near the door handles. I rocked that for 2 years, until I got another cherokee. After that, my systems got smaller and more reasonable until I got to where I am now: nothing in the car.

Well, that was a nice walk down memory lane. I think back at all of the money that I wasted and it makes me realize how addicting this hobby really is. I see myself falling victim to it again, having already bough 3 sets of speakers that I will likely never use. I keep finding a "better" deal, and I go for it. That is how I used to build systems when I was 16. How (why?) I am doing it now at 29, I don't understand.

On well, I have stopped the bleeding for now.

helotaxi
12-08-2006, 04:04 PM
The Audiocontrol EQ you are thinking about is the EQL. 2 channel 13 bands per channel.

The Terminators were fun, but you might really be old school if you 1) remember the MTW Eliminator 2) remember what it was designed for and 3) remember what color the cone was.

MB Quarts were in all the winning installs of the day, but a/d/s speakers were in all the best sounding cars of the time.

If you remember the PPI2350DM you just might be old school...

If you remember the Soundstream MC300 and MC500 you just might be old school...

If you remember the series designation of the first JL Audio subs that were available other than directly from Speaker Warehouse you just might be old school...

If you remember when all crossovers were stand alone external devices you just might be old school...

If you have a copy of Dynamix II "The Album" you just might be old school...

If you remember the Linear Power 2202IQ or "The Runt" you just might be old school...

If you remember the model numbers of the first two Phoenix Gold amps you just might be old school...

If you remember a time before "Solobaric" and know how they got the name in the first place you just might be old school...

If you know the name of the other Stillwater Designs brand besides Kicker you just might be old school...

I you remember when running a 2 channel amp in 3 channel mode was almost standard you just might be old school...

If you remember when JL Audio only made subs you just might be old school...

If you remember when 4ga power wire was considered HUGE you just might be old school...

If you rememeber when most all amps had lengths of wire coming out of them for power and speaker connections rather than terminals you just might be old school...

I keep finding a "better" deal, and I go for it. That is how I used to build systems when I was 16. How (why?) I am doing it now at 29, I don't understand.I'm that way with amps at 31 so don't feel bad. Newest amp I own is over 10yrs old, too. Currently 1 car and 12 working amps laying around from 4 different Old School lines (5 Orion HCCAs, 2 PG limited edition amps, 2 PG MS/MPS amps and 3 US Amps USA series). Having 11 subs from 5 different lines around is no help either (3 of them date back to my high school days).

phenryiv1
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
The Audiocontrol EQ you are thinking about is the EQL. 2 channel 13 bands per channel.

That was it.

The Terminators were fun, but you might really be old school if you 1) remember the MTW Eliminator 2) remember what it was designed for and 3) remember what color the cone was.

Wasn't it designed to go in a hearse? I don't remember the particulars- the install was right before my interest started, but I remember pics of it in CE&A...

If you remember a time before "Solobaric" and know how they got the name in the first place you just might be old school...

I remember that, and I know that the name came from 1 speaker acting as if it was isobarically mounted, which utilized running 2 subs face to face and out of phase to 1/2 the enclosure volume. I think they could be front to rear as well, and in phase...

I you remember when running a 2 channel amp in 3 channel mode was almost standard you just might be old school...

If you remember when 4ga power wire was considered HUGE you just might be old school...

If you rememeber when most all amps had lengths of wire coming out of them for power and speaker connections rather than terminals you just might be old school...

I also vividly remember the last four...particularly the old punch amps that had the 10-gauge directly attached...

(Am I really that old?)

phenryiv1
12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Want to see some "old school?" (apologize in advance for when the link dies)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140061208138&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:71&isfrommerc=1&refitem=300056688250&itemcount=8&refwidgetloc=watch_reminder_email&refwidgettype=osi_widget&refitem=300056688250&itemcount=8&refwidgetloc=watch_reminder_email&refwidgettype=osi_widget&isfrommerc=1

Eugenics
12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
I am into old school rape myself.

GordonW
12-08-2006, 06:53 PM

1) Had one (ESW154, 15")
2) Infinite baffle/"freeair
3) Very light ("dove"?) gray.

Hooked to a bridged Orion 280GX with a custom-made boost filter (tuned to 17 Hz!) it had a MEASURED f3 of 14 Hz in the back of my '84 VW Quantum. And would do 120dB+ at 20 Hz!

MB Quarts were in all the winning installs of the day, but a/d/s speakers were in all the best sounding cars of the time.

Those MBs were great drivers... you just needed to do your own crossovers. With the right custom crossovers, they pwned the ADS drivers! Much better midbass and midrange "speed"!

See that, and raise you an Orion "Beast"... SX2250 and/or HCCA2100

Yep... and how about the even-earlier D50s and D100s? Dual-mono, even down to the power transformers!

If you remember the series designation of the first JL Audio subs that were available other than directly from Speaker Warehouse you just might be old school...

Either W2 or W5... we sold them, in 1991...

If you remember when all crossovers were stand alone external devices you just might be old school...

Alphasonik EX2 and EX3
Linear XO2
(...)

See that, and raise you a copy of DJ Magic Mike & The Royal Posse... "Feel The Bass (Speaker Terror Upper)"...

If you remember the Linear Power 2202IQ or "The Runt" you just might be old school...

Bah... the Alphasonik A225 would toast both of them!

One speaker, that works just like a isobaric pair!

Ah, the infamous "Mixed Mono Mode". Used to run Alphasonik A2035s, A240Bs and A2050s that way, all the time...

Regards,
Gordon.

Rich B
12-08-2006, 07:00 PM
If you rember using a Muntz 4 Track under dash, you're too **** old.

Like me.

:crap:

helotaxi
12-09-2006, 02:03 PM
1) Had one (ESW154, 15")
2) Infinite baffle/"freeair
3) Very light ("dove"?) gray.Those were the ones.

Those MBs were great drivers... you just needed to do your own crossovers. With the right custom crossovers, they pwned the ADS drivers! Much better midbass and midrange "speed"!All the great cars of the time had very extensive custom passives, especially the ones coming out of Speaker Warehouse. Did you ever see the passive network that was in the Blazer? Took up its own drawer in the amp rack that was about 2'x4'.

See that, and raise you an Orion "Beast"... SX2250 and/or HCCA2100Own one of the latter to this day along with 4 other HCCA amps.

Yep... and how about the even-earlier D50s and D100s? Dual-mono, even down to the power transformers!One of the nicest things about the Soundstreams was the fact that they were the first that I can remember that had screw down direct insert terminal for all the power and speaker connections. The screws ******, but the idea was good.

Either W2 or W5... we sold them, in 1991...Yep, W5 was the first with the original W3 being the 8" model in that line. The W1 was next, I have one in nearly perfect shape from '92 and still have the original box for it.

Alphasonik EX2 and EX3
Linear XO2Coustic XM-1 and XM-3.

See that, and raise you a copy of DJ Magic Mike & The Royal Posse... "Feel The Bass (Speaker Terror Upper)"...Got that one, too.

Bah... the Alphasonik A225 would toast both of them!Quite possibly, especially considering that the Runt didn't have a switching power supply and was only 16W per channel. Difference was I could get Linear Power in my hometown. Not so much Alphasonik.

One speaker, that works just like a isobaric pair!Ah, yes...but how?

helotaxi
12-09-2006, 02:06 PM
If you rember using a Muntz 4 Track under dash, you're too **** old.

Like me.

:crap:

If you're that old, you don't "remember" it either. :D Only pictures...Black and white pictures taken with a box camera in fact. :D

ogjpx
12-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Muntz 4-track? wow, you must have been using electrical tape and flathead screws!! This definitely. deserves it's own category. Maybe "pre-school"?

MB Quartz: Mine are still going strong after nearly 20 years now. I got'em as a reward for having done 23 installs in a single day. (i was the only one who showed up for work one Sat. morning). This was no easy feat. considering a lot of these were "sandwich-plate" installs during the time before the "din chasis". But yeah, my MB's sound just as tight and crisp ,even after be reinstall nearly a dozen times now. They currently reside in my son's first car.

ramos
12-13-2006, 08:24 AM
If you're that old, you don't "remember" it either. :D Only pictures...Black and white pictures taken with a box camera in fact. :D

How about under the dash 45 players ? :)

-=Jeff=-
12-13-2006, 09:11 AM
I remember the Phoenix Amps (the first one I saw was Grey).. I think their tag line was these amps can drive Nails .. or something..

I remember the MTX Eliminators. I found a Trashed MTX Blue Thunder woofer at my parent's House..

I still have CA&E issues from 1991-993 and the CA&E April issue with new equipment Directory.. they still do that?

My first used amp was a 4 channel Ultimate that was bridgeable.. I also had bought cheap Pyramid amps (PB1000 was one) in High school I did not have much extra $$$

Then I moved up at Bought a Gen I Orion 280GX, which my friend still uses.

in 1992 I bought a new Orion HCCA 225 ( which I still have, although trying to sell)

I also had a Phoenix gold M44 as well as a MS275.

I remember when JL Audio made just subs, I had a Pair of 10s I forgot the flavor..

My first Subs were Pyle 12" then followed by Kicker Free air 12" on a Baffle board in my camaro.. LOL

then a Pair of Kicker C10s When the dust caps read KICKER in outlined gold lettering

I also had a pair of Orion XTR 10s in 1992..

I thought all the systems back then were cool running everything off a 2 channel amp, which I did with my HCCA and a Firebird, sounded good for the budget system it was.

Stereo shops were more plentiful, many of them now are gone, or Cellular and alarm only shops, or in one case now an Import tuner (no more stereos)

If anyone is from the Chicago Suburbs I bet they remember Ray's Tool and Electronics in Bensenville (first in Itasca).. closed then reopened year later as Rays Electronics in Addison..

those were the days..

ramos
12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Who had the demo that involved welding with their line of amplifiers ? :)

Screnzo
12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow, posts like these bring back all sortsa memories. My Alpine 7390 pullout tape deck with a remote...a remote! Back in those days that was some crazy stuff. I had some of the oldschool kickers, with the gold lettering, stuffed into a badly designed ported box (basically just cut a hole and rocked it).....thank god I can't lay claim to having made that. I remember reading thru the CA&E magazines looking at the directory of all the manufactures, and wishing I could afford some of it. I remember seeing the article on the waveguides when they first came out, I remember when aura made "bass shakers". I remember the first dj magic mike tape (being in florida helps) and when the south was referred to as the "bass belt". When the show cars were still daily drivers, and sitting in the kicker van at a car show and thinking my god I thought my heart was gonna stop! I remember the alpine double din tuner/cd player, and alomst bought it! ( Seperate single din tuner, seperate single din dedicated cd player) I remember when solobaric enclosures were the **** (I'm still hooked on them personally, I love the cone control) and when kicker capitalized on make a small enclosure woofer that they named "solobaric". (Solobaric clamshell boxes were tiny compared to anything else, hence a small enclosure woofer became "solobaric"). I remember rocking coustic 360 amps, and even a coustic tape deck at one point. I remember just tossing my box with a pyramid sub and an aperiodic dome (yeah right!) on the back seat, to heck with the trunk. Fosgate DSM amps using surface mount technology OMG! Alpine half din eq's, grey ppi's, carver amps, sansiu amps (ppi really) Alphasonik 225? I think I still have one, just sold off a 250.Lots of people have said what they feel to be old school, and I most certainly agree....but old school was more than specific model numbers, it was and is a state of mind when the hobby was just that, a hobby, and only a few people could put together a good system. Back when people were still figuring it all out, and trying different setups out. These days you can go anywhere with a credit card and have a good system in a day or two, no blood/sweat/tears or even research on your part. Heck, in some ways its almost mandatory to have a good system, just to keep up with the joneses...... Thats my thoughts on what back in the day is, at any rate.

Prowler573
12-15-2006, 03:28 AM
...I remember rocking coustic 360 amps, and even a coustic tape deck at one point...
My first aftermarket car audio purchase (late 80s) was a Coustic RX504 dual-shaft cassette deck.
It was full-featured as far as functionality for the tape section....it had tape search, tuner recall, auto reverse, etc etc etc but as it was an analog tuner (who had digital displays back then? It certainly wasn't me!) and all the buttons under the display were reserved for the various goodies on the tape deck it had no radio presets. You wanted the radio on a different station? Get a firm grip on that righthand knob and get to twisting!
:laugh:

A/D/S-MbQuart
12-15-2006, 05:17 AM

If you remember the model numbers of the first two Phoenix Gold amps you just might be old school...

If you know the name of the other Stillwater Designs brand besides Kicker you just might be old school...

I'm that way with amps at 31 so don't feel bad. Newest amp I own is over 10yrs old, too. Currently 1 car and 12 working amps laying around from 4 different Old School lines (5 Orion HCCAs, 2 PG limited edition amps, 2 PG MS/MPS amps and 3 US Amps USA series). Having 11 subs from 5 different lines around is no help either (3 of them date back to my high school days).

I guess old school is my whole system. mBQuartQ's. Alpine7915. A/D/S ph15= HifonicsZues-the real ones- Audiocontrol EQX- RichardMarsh-davidNavoe Monster Capacitor. Top of line monster cables... Fosgate 15's sealed- dynamat insulated trunk :greedy: RTA tuned...

I wonder how my system stacks up to todays new school gear and if it would get blown away.

jjski78
12-15-2006, 07:08 AM
And everyone pretty much forgot two of the most important players in the game back in the day, well, at least to me.. Original Lanzar built in CALIFORNIA! And Zed built Hifonics.

Rattlebrain
12-15-2006, 08:50 AM
I've got some old school stuff I'll drag out and get some pictures after later while.

Rattlebrain
12-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Heres what I have. And yes, thats an ironing board. Makes for a pretty good work bench. You can adjust the hight
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/all.jpg

Autotek 7100 BTS when they were made in the USA. I bought it used in 89 or 90.
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/autoteektop.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/autoteekside.jpg

Small 4 Channel Blaupunkt.
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/blaupunkt.jpg

Old Fultron tape deck. Believe it or not, it sounded pretty good for what it was.
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/fultronfront.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/fultrontop.jpg

My wife bought this for me the Christmas after we were married. Yes its a pullout.
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/panasonicfront.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/panasonictop.jpg

Here is the Punch 75 I bought from jmanpc. Done a little restoration on it. Need to do a bit more but it looks pretty good.
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/punchtop.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/punchside.jpg

Rich B
12-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Heres a few of my old school amps.

The US Acoustics (2x300w) I just bought two months ago, the Zapco Z220 I've owned since new-
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/3/0/4/4/3/IMG_00321.jpg

Heres the original birthsheet for the Zapco-
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/3/0/4/4/3/Z220.JPG

:)

helotaxi
12-15-2006, 05:13 PM
My wife bought this for me the Christmas after we were married. Yes its a pullout.
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/panasonicfront.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/skaboop/oldschool/panasonictop.jpg

That was the exact model CD player I had in my car in HS. Bought it new in '91.

Rattlebrain
12-15-2006, 05:30 PM
That was the exact model CD player I had in my car in HS. Bought it new in '91.

Worked great for years!! :D
Still works as far as I know. I havent used it in a while. I do know that when I took it out, the CD player was having a few issues.

reneeb7363
12-15-2006, 05:56 PM

I think I still have one of those in the storage unit somewhere... have thought about selling it. They were the shiznet to have "back in the day"-- LOL!!! I believe the cover even still has FLEKSTONE paint on it! -- Oy-Vey! :crap:

Edit: come to think of it...I believe what I have is the old 2 channel AC EQX 13 channel with the change-able crossover chip (under that aluminum plate, in the botom). I will have to find the 'ol monster and put up pics of it...

Orion Man
12-15-2006, 07:38 PM

I still think the old-skool Orion and Rockford amps are the best, period! Those amps dominated the car audio scene in their time! I wish Orion hadn't sold out to DEI. They were so much better when they were their own company. Old Skool Lanzar was pretty sick to. Especially their subs!

LiquidClen
12-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Why dont they make any more pullout units?

reneeb7363
12-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Why dont they make any more pullout units?

same reason they dont sell as many pocket pal day organizers..when you have a PDA, why would you want to lug around a paper "scheduler"... ?

those old pull outs were FAR easier to steal (as a WHOLE unit) and ****.... where do you hide them...??

Oh ya, thats what briefcases were for! LOL! Face plates are more portable/hideable...

yay for evolution!!!

helotaxi
12-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Worked great for years!! :D
Still works as far as I know. I havent used it in a while. I do know that when I took it out, the CD player was having a few issues.

My sister inherited the car when I went to college and the deck got ripped of (and the dash ripped up by the thief trying to get the cage) when she left the car unlocked in her school parking lot.

whitemax
12-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I still think the old-skool Orion and Rockford amps are the best, period! Those amps dominated the car audio scene in their time! I wish Orion hadn't sold out to DEI. They were so much better when they were their own company. Old Skool Lanzar was pretty sick to. Especially their subs!

I had two Lanzar 15" competition subs back in the early 90's. Good old days....

Paul73
12-16-2006, 03:35 PM
My first system consisted of two Pioneer 6x9s and a Jensen tape deck then shortly afterwards I stepped up to 2 Pyle Driver 10s and some co-axes in the doors running off of a 40 watt Realistic eq "booster". Around that time one of the loudest systems in my town (and one I will never forget) was in a Toyota regular cab pickup. He had 4 MTX Blue Thunder 8s and two sets of mids/tweets in each door, all running off of a Nakamichi head unit and 4 Punch 45s. That system hooked me on car audio for life. It was also at that time that I started working overtime just to feed my addiction. By that time I had just bought an '85 Monte Carlo and it was time to get some "real" stuff. I saved and scrounged up the cash to get not one but two Sherwood 240s, two Atomic 12s, a set of Polk Plates and a pair of Pioneer 3 1/2s for the dash. I built my own sealed box and amp rack combo that was pimp as **** for the time in my liitle town. The box was a normal rectangle sized to fit tight up against the back seat with an angled face and I built the amp rack into the back with a piano hinged, mirrored lid complete with fans and lighting. I painted the small side windows black from the inside and made carpet covered baffles to house the Polk plates. That was also my first Pioneer Supertuner tape deck. Looking back on it with what I know now, it must have sounded like crap...but thats not the way I remember it lol. I rode that sytem until I joined the Navy (as an electronics technician, surely influenced by my love for car audio) about a year or so later. While I was away in boot camp my wife at the time allowed her friends the use of MY car and I came home to missing subs and amps blown Polks and a deck that ate tapes. I never got over that and I suspect the animosity has alot to do with why she is an "ex" wife now. It took me a couple of years before I was able to get back into the hobby but when I did it was with a vengance. By that time I was rockin a 90 Mustang and the hatch was beggin for some gear. In went two round SoloBaric S-12a subs, PPI Art series 600.2 and A404.2 amps, Audio Control Eq and Crossover, Kenwood Cd player, Infinity Reference components up front and 6X8 coaxes in the rear sail panels, all wired with 4ga and 8ga Stinger wire and interconnects. I loved that sytem to death and so did alot of others. I eventually ran into financial problems after my divorce and regrettably sold off most of it. That was the last "old school" setup I had. I have had a few setups since then that have been much cleaner, louder, and more accurate but those first ones are what kept me in this thing till the end.

pimpedout97x
12-16-2006, 03:42 PM

tell me:D

helotaxi
12-17-2006, 02:16 PM
A couple systems I distinctly remember seeing in person back in the day...
Friend of mine had a king cab Nissan with 4 Kicker C12s running off a Linear Power 2202IQ. Kicker 3-way front stage running on a 952IQ. You knew when he pulled into the school parking lot because the lockers on the other end of the campus started to rattle.

The other was in a Pathfinder. The entire rear end of the thing was a 6th order bandpass for 4 Orion XTR 15 DVCs. The 4 front chambers vented right along the door pillars. The single rear chamber vented between the seats through a gint triangular vent. Across the front of the enclosure were 6 6.5" MB Quart midbasses and the doors had 3 mids and 3 tweets each. The substage was powered by a 2100HCCA and the mids/highs by a 225HCCA. The suba actually had a good freq response and was really efficient as well. The head installer at the particlar shop was a genius when it came to bandpasses, especially 6th order. He had a pair of Orion 8s in a CRX at the time running off the rear 2 channels of a crappy little Targa 4-ch amp. With that paltry amount of power it would shake the shop and sounded really good with music.

My first setup was in an '88 Escort. Started with the Panasonic HU that we were talking about above. The amp was an Orion Cobalt 230. The front stage was a pair of Orion CS-5 mids and a pair of Orion CS-1s tweets. The sub was a JL 10W1. Nobody ever talked about how loud it was, cause it wasn't even sorta loud, but I got compliments constantly about how clean it sounded.

adam71
12-17-2006, 05:47 PM

The good old days.:cool:

When SQ meant 8 15's and a pair of 4x6 plates.

No offense intended but I can't remember this configuration being SQ.

helotaxi
12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Unless you translate SQ to sound quantity...

young_gun
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Regards,
Gordon.
No wai! lol

Abel
12-18-2006, 07:36 PM
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2056/untitled9uq.png

elementxero
12-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Regards,
Gordon.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but by any slim chance is there a video of this unit in operation online?

That sounds so ****ing ****** lol.

elementxero
12-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Also, as a new school car audio enthusiast (only 23, and 2 years into it), this is a very cool thread. Makes me feel nostalgic for a time that I never knew.

1980s Phone phreaking does that to me to for some reason. /shrug

ramos
12-19-2006, 08:15 AM
The good old days.:cool:

No offense intended but I can't remember this configuration being SQ.

Unless you translate SQ to sound quantity...

I don't know about the "8 15's and 4 x 6 plates". But I do remember the IASCA craze in the mid 80's of cramming 10" - 15" pa drivers in the doors for midbass. They were running crazy high efficiency setups with extremely low power by todays standards :)

helotaxi
12-19-2006, 08:35 PM
The Grand National was one such setup...except it was running a retarded amount of power by the standards of the day, a decent amount by today's standards for a sound quality vehicle.

frzninvt
12-20-2006, 11:30 AM
The Nakamichi Dragon for the car did NOT flip the tape around that was the home audio Nakamichi RX-202 and RX-505 models. However, the Nak TD-1200/TD-1200II had a drawer that came out of the deck that the tape sat in and had the performance of the home version Dragon. It had no equal other than possibly the Nak TD-850, TD-700 & TD-500, Kenwood KCA-999II, Alpine 7307, and some of the top of the line Concord decks that could actually control tape speed.

young_gun
12-20-2006, 12:36 PM
The Nakamichi Dragon for the car did NOT flip the tape around that was the home audio Nakamichi RX-202 and RX-505 models. However, the Nak TD-1200/TD-1200II had a drawer that came out of the deck that the tape sat in and had the performance of the home version Dragon. It had no equal other than possibly the Nak TD-850, TD-700 & TD-500, Kenwood KCA-999II, Alpine 7307, and some of the top of the line Concord decks that could actually control tape speed.
But the home models really did?

frzninvt
12-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Absolutely they did and it was fast, in the blink of an eye fast and quality was top notch.

Rich B
12-20-2006, 01:28 PM
But the home models really did?

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/blueswapper/images/nakrx202cc.JPG

young_gun
12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
^^^That is freaking awesome! :D

Rich B
12-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Now THIS is real old school........

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/7e/f4/7701_1.JPG

Canton Mainframe Car Amp System 6-Ch

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canton-Mainframe-Car-Amp-System-6-Chn-M50-S30_W0QQitemZ140066860675QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4950QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How many people here remember those?

:eek:

jdawg
12-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I remember

BASSMEKANIK
12-20-2006, 05:34 PM
wish i could find my pics of my mint punch 45...

systembumping
12-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know anything about this stuff, kind of glad I didn't have to go through all that old school stuff. Now it's just plug and play. Oh yeah my Nana still has a pullout Pioneer tape player lol.

timmay14
12-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Anybody heard of PSL? I think it stands from Phillips Sound Labs.. I have an old 4 channel amp from them, white, with red lettering, think it puts out 50 x 4, but I could never actually find out any concret info on this company or amp. Just curious..

R/T Pimp
04-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Wow ran across this thread and had to read it. I was just having a conversation with someone about this.
I remember going to Pamida and pushing the power button on the Kraco boosters to hear the panels on the display rattle. Sanyo and Pioneer 6 x 9 were practically subs. Paying $200 for a punch 15 with about a 30 ounce magnet and 3 mm of excursion. Petras subs with almost a 1/2" of throw. Holy sh t. I remember going to the welding shop and buying 2 gauge and the guys thought I was nuts. Having a second battery meant you could be heard for a mile. We 2 15's and 400 watts was king. I still have my ppi 2075am series amp. That thing would over heat until smoke came out around the rcas and would turn back on. I remember having to add 2 fans by the amp so you could jam out during the summer without the amp shutting off every 10 minutes. No body talked about rodek amps, I had some of the 300 x 2. They were litterally 4 feet long. And were bridgeable. Absolutely amazing. I remember when Hifonics was only for competitors. When fiberglass was only for trained professionals. Or what about the ads. 140 db for $400. I remember when John Henry founder of Treo had a little shop in the back of a wharehouse. That is old school.

genxx
04-07-2007, 01:18 AM

old skool is relative to one's age....for instance, some of the old farts, myself included, can remember when the old skool pullouts first came out and it was cool to walk around the mall carrying the whole **** headunit by the handle. and JC Whitney had these things that went over the headunit and actually locked into the dash, thus keeping your headunit safe from would-be thieves.

American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ-If it was made in either of these two places you bought it period.

These two Quotes make my feel like high school. Nothing like carrying your headunit around with you. Go to dinner no problem just place the HU on the table.

Does anyone remember when Yamaha still made car audio. I loved there HU, some one broke into my truck and stole the one I had and by that time they had gotten out of car audio.

helotaxi
04-07-2007, 10:03 AM
American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ-If it was made in either of these two places you bought it period.You forgot Portland, OR. I still put Phoenix Gold above the other US amps of the late 80's / early 90's.

Does anyone remember when Yamaha still made car audio. I loved there HU, some one broke into my truck and stole the one I had and by that time they had gotten out of car audio.Yes. Sweet amps, too. Built one of the first DSP units as well.

adam71
04-07-2007, 09:26 PM
You forgot Portland, OR. I still put Phoenix Gold above the other US amps of the late 80's / early 90's.

:rolleyes: You would.

Prowler573
04-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Does anyone remember when Yamaha still made car audio. I loved there HU, some one broke into my truck and stole the one I had and by that time they had gotten out of car audio.

Yep.
My first amplifier that was actually worth owning was a Yamaha amp driving a Kicker Super II enclosure.

That amp took all the abuse I threw at it and never so much as hiccuped back.

Towncar
04-07-2007, 09:49 PM
You forgot Portland, OR. I still put Phoenix Gold above the other US amps of the late 80's / early 90's.

^^

helotaxi
04-07-2007, 11:16 PM
:rolleyes: You would.

WTF is that supposed to mean? I've run pretty much nothing but Orion amps since '91. Swapped out my 225s for a PG Son of Frank and was extremely pleased with the result.

W8 a minute
04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Man, I loved my Yamaha (green lighting) deck.
My Kenwood 999.
My Blaupunkt stalk EQ.
Alphasonik PMA amps.
Concord.
Autotek Bass Thrust amplifiers.
Clear poly woofers.
I love the look of the old Alpines with the square, frosted green buttons.
Technics car audio?

I remember when:
Special Edition, Sansui, and even Pyramid sold amps stuffed with PPI boards.

I remember car audio before DEI devoured, masticated, and puked it back up.

I remember when you had to MOUNT a cd head unit because it weighed 3-5 pounds.

I really miss Altec Lansing carbon fiber components.
I'm old enough to remember when Pyle Driver was good.

IIRC Alpine made a 10 cassette trunk mount changer that came out the same year as Sony's first CD changer..and quickly died because of it. (not sure if I'm dreamin this or not but it sure seems real in my memory)

I remember buying one of the first albums on CD (Dire Straits - money for nothing).
I also remember one of the big selling points of CD's was the fact that you could scratch the hell out of them and they still played..I even remember the salesmen playing a CD that looked like it was attacked with a DA sander and it played without a skip. What happened to that anyway? Nowdays the littlest smudge makes them skip. Heck the CD's were thicker and heavier back then too.

I remember re-recording all my cassettes to a hotter (louder) mix on my TEAC tape decks for more spl in the car.

Jeez, I feel as old as George Washington now.

adam71
04-08-2007, 04:08 AM
WTF is that supposed to mean? I've run pretty much nothing but Orion amps since '91. Swapped out my 225s for a PG Son of Frank and was extremely pleased with the result.

Calm down brother, I was just yanking your chain. Old school PG and Orion were good stuff. As well as old school PPI and Rockford. I merely said that to get a rise out of you so you would explain more into it. NOT to get you riled up.

allencass
09-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow! just signed up here and found this thread. Those were the good old days. My 83 cougar with an 2 mtx terminators, and my two bass tubes, powered by some pos jensen amp (that i still have somewhere) and i'm preety sure it was a rockwood for the tubes. rockin my benzi box. **** i feel old now.

wkndracr
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Great thread!

I remember my first "real" HU, a pioneer ke-1900qr where the "qr" stood for quick release, their designation for a pullout radio. It got stolen and I upgraded to another pioneer deck with "full logic control" and dolby B. KEH 8000QR i think.
what about the old Panasonic top load 6 disc changers, the old blue Lanzar Opti drives, coustic xm-5e crossovers, and the round solobarics. Who else remembers the CRT touchscreens that Buick and Oldsmobile had back in the day?

Louisiana_CRX
12-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Great thread!

I remember my first "real" HU, a pioneer ke-1900qr where the "qr" stood for quick release, their designation for a pullout radio. It got stolen and I upgraded to another pioneer deck with "full logic control" and dolby B. KEH 8000QR i think.
what about the old Panasonic top load 6 disc changers, the old blue Lanzar Opti drives, coustic xm-5e crossovers, and the round solobarics. Who else remembers the CRT touchscreens that Buick and Oldsmobile had back in the day?

I do in the Olds Trofeo ...or the Buick Reatta

useddialers.com
12-28-2008, 04:30 AM
To me, old school is the Phonenix Gold S-10 Blazer they had in The Mall back in 91-93? at the mall in Hays, KS. It had I think 3 Phoenix Gold MPS Series amplifiers, four 18-inch subwoofers, hlcd's and they could plug it in. I will never forget the way Star Wars sounded in that car.

DBDRAGGUY
12-28-2008, 04:34 AM
MADE BY ZED......................Nuff said.

gattaluvdatBASS
12-28-2008, 04:41 AM
These are OLD SCHOOL!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/ooooooo_photos/0811081350a.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/ooooooo_photos/1116081537c.jpg

Compjake
12-28-2008, 07:53 AM
If you want TRUE old school this is what you want!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/compjake/100_0964.jpg

The 8-Track out of my 1978 Chrysler Cordoba.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/compjake/100_0965.jpg

Back when wiring was 4 pos wires, no ground wires for the speakers (Common grounding) the HU's ground wire was a stud and bolt with the pos power wire going directly to the ignition and no memory wire.

This is true old school.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Death_by_Bass
12-28-2008, 08:02 AM
old school is when kicker was still water designs :fyi:

audiolife
12-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Now THIS is real old school........

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/7e/f4/7701_1.JPG

Canton Mainframe Car Amp System 6-Ch

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canton-Mainframe-Car-Amp-System-6-Chn-M50-S30_W0QQitemZ140066860675QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4950QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How many people here remember those?

:eek:

cant see the picture but I think I competed against 1 in 1991 or 92 didnt amps plug into it and it was your xover or something to that effect? The contest was 50% judges and 50% crowd cheering hearing the car played with windows down or doors opened..it wasn't all that powerful LOL

Rich B
12-28-2008, 03:45 PM
This is old school.........

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/25/b4/51b1_1.JPG

Before Rockford bought Jim Fosgate out.

Car audio had surround sound 10 years before it became a big deal in the home.

mescko
05-01-2010, 04:09 AM
My Kenwood 999.
Concord.
I love the look of the old Alpines with the square, frosted green buttons.
Technics car audio?
I'm old enough to remember when Pyle Driver was good.
IIRC Alpine made a 10 cassette trunk mount changer that came out the same year as Sony's first CD changer..and quickly died because of it. (not sure if I'm dreamin this or not but it sure seems real in my memory)

I have a KRC-999.
Concord had excellent tape decks.
I have a few of those too.
2 of them.
So do I.
It was the Alpine 7375. The HU was tuner only, the changer held a 5-cassette magazine. Switches on the magazine could be set to automatically switch between Dolby B, C, or DBX Noise Reduction. I'd love to find one, every time you see one they want a fortune for 'em.

Louisiana_CRX
05-01-2010, 04:15 AM
a lot of folks...love old school audio on this forum....

soundman33
10-19-2010, 02:00 AM
I was one of the first to run Phoenix Gold Amplifiers. They were the grey 150 watt amps and I believe they were serial numbers 00045-00049
They sounded great but they were CONSTANTLY breaking. The only time I had all 4 sub amps running I did a 150.9. This was in the day when the B&K was the gold standard of SPL meters and the world record was 159.9 I believe. I would typically find that at least one of my amps had died during the days SPL run. I was running 8 Kicker Competition 15's in a blue Ford Ranger. I also built a Ford Mustang that ran two of the PG 44 watt high current (white) amps on 8 Kicker Comp 15's, a Toyota Truck with 5 PG 150 watt amps, and a Hurst Olds that ran one of the Grey 150 watt amps on highs and one of the grey 250 watt amps on subs.

1rockford1
10-19-2010, 02:07 AM
umm when hifonics was good. how old is this thread?