PDA

View Full Version : Active frontstage users PLZ HELP...

96MaxGLE
10-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I've finally completed gathering all my equip for my 2-way active frontstage. I will b running CD1e Pros powered by a PPI Art A100, and IDQ 8's powered by a PPI Art A600 (unless I can find a A300 to replace it with). My question is regarding an eq/x-over. This is my 1st active setup so I'm new to this. I had originally planned just to get an EQS, but my amps don't have x-overs. I was thinking of a EQX, DQX, maybe an old school PPI or RF Symetry. I came across this Kenwood EQ/x-over n the f/s section. I have a DDX-7015 and an extra DIN slot, so I figured I would let you guys help me out. For the price ($130) its my cheapest option, and money is a little tight right now (just spent $430 on a brake job). PLZ help me out guys! I won't b installing for a while, since I'm so busy with work. Should I go ahead and get this, or save some more money and get an Audiocontrol unit? Any help would b greatly appreciated.

Here's the Kenwood specs:

4-Color LCD Display and 11-Band Spectrum Analyzer
High Voltage (4V) Pre-amplification
“FLIP DOWN” TDF
Subwoofer Output
detachable face
11-band equalizer, 12 dB boost or cut for each band
11-band multicolor spectrum analyzer display with white LED backlight
3 sets of gold-plated 4 volt preamp outputs: front, rear, and non-fading
6 factory-preset EQ curves
3 user-programmable EQ curves
display contrast and dimmer adjustment
low-pass electronic crossover (50/80/120 Hz)
high-pass electronic crossover (40/60/80/120/150/180/220 Hz)
signal-to-noise ratio 88 dB
THD 0.01%

BTW...if you guys have any other suggestions for the EQ/X-over duties let me know.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :D

alphakenny1
10-06-2006, 06:00 PM
looks like the kenwood doesn't have bandpassable crossovers. what are HU are you running? i'd suggest getting an hu that has a 3 way crossover. much easier overall. maybe sell the hu you got now and then buy something w/ a 3 way crossover. that would be my first suggestion. if not then i'd save up and get an audiocontrol unit.

smd4life
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
a p9 combo maybe?

96MaxGLE
10-06-2006, 06:14 PM
looks like the kenwood doesn't have bandpassable crossovers. what are HU are you running? i'd suggest getting an hu that has a 3 way crossover. much easier overall. maybe sell the hu you got now and then buy something w/ a 3 way crossover. that would be my first suggestion. if not then i'd save up and get an audiocontrol unit.

I've got a Kenwood DDX-7015. I know its not the best SQ headunit, but I love having a Double-DIN touchscreen. I bought it b4 Eclipse came out with there Double-DIN unit. Not really looking on switching HU, so I guess I'll just save up for the Audiocontrol. What r some of the specs I need to b looking for when choosing my eq/x-over (just incase I don't go with an audiocontrol)?

alphakenny1
10-06-2006, 06:32 PM
you need to find a crossover that has 3 sets of crossovers. lowpass filter for your sub. bandpassable crossovers for your mids (combination of both lowpass for mid and highpass for mid) and a highpass filter for your tweeters. from ac, this looks like the only unit that has a 3 way crossover, http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14144&d_Id=5251&l1=5251&l2=. it also states that the 6xs has a 3 way crossover as well.

96MaxGLE
10-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks alot :D. I c now ur link for Learn to go Active!...I'm checking it out right now.

squeak9798
10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Actually, those CD1e's don't need really a highpass since they are peizo-based drivers. They have a natural rolloff at 1.2khz. The passive crossover that ID made to go with those horns in the 2-way passive setup (with the IDQ5 & IDQ6 mids) only had an EQ circuit and level attenuation for the horn and lowpass for the mid...no highpass xover for the horn

However, if you have CD1 Pro's (no "e" at the end), then they will need to be actively highpassed.

I don't believe there's ever been any CD1e Pro. Only CD1e and CD1 Pro, but not a CD1e Pro....so I'm sort of confused on which horns you actually have.

96MaxGLE
10-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I was hoping u would chime in :). They're actually cd1e-v2's. It had been a while since I had looked at them.

smd4life
10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
squeak=acitve pwnsman

96MaxGLE
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
squeak=acitve pwnsman

Squeak needs his own section :D . Only rule...don't be pissed when you get PWND...:laugh:

smd4life
10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Squeak needs his own section :D . Only rule...don't be pissed when you get PWND...:laugh:

squeak...put that **** in your sig

T3mpest
10-06-2006, 11:08 PM
I'd save up, if your going active your going to want the extra control, a active setup is only as good as it's tuning, which it's better if your the limit of your SQ, not the equipment. AC units are nice, but don't they require you to add your own caps? I'd rather deal with a digital unit, tuning would be a PITA if it was analog.

squeak9798
10-07-2006, 10:31 AM
AC units are nice, but don't they require you to add your own caps?

AC's analog units blow ***, IMNSHO

They use resistor packs instead of pots to change the xover frequency. So, everytime you want to change the xover frequency, you need to either purchase AC's prebuilt packs or build your own resistor pack, open the unit up, and swap the resistor packs (btw, you can't do this with the unit on...it must be turned off). This is obviously pretty time consuming and a complete PITA.

On top of that, the xover points are not independently adjustable. For example, on the 3-way unit, if you set the highpass at 2.5khz and the lowpass for the sub output at 80hz, then the bandpass output must be 80hz - 2.5khz. No overlapping, no underlapping. That's it.

Completely lacks any sense of flexibility or user interface. Just worthless, if you ask me.....

I'm not sure about the digital...but if the xover points aren't independently adjustable, I'd avoid them aswell.

But to answer your original question....I would just save your money. There are plenty of affordable decks on the market that will do what you need. All you really need is a bandpass for the mids and lowpass for the subs (which your sub amp could likely handle...so even that is not a necessity to have externally). And since you are not installing right away anyhow...just save up a little more and get a unit that will do what you need.

96MaxGLE
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
All you really need is a bandpass for the mids and lowpass for the subs (which your sub amp could likely handle...so even that is not a necessity to have externally).

So basically I could get away with just having a bandpass x-over for my mids? I have my low-pass on my sub amp set around 65-70hz. Is there anywhere that I could get just a bandpass x-over? I was looking at the AC DQX unit, and you can set ur own x-over freq...So for lack of a better option I'll probably just save for that. Anyone had any experience with the ARC eq/x-over unit? Hoping maybe Don will chime n soon...I may just have to get up with him on the Maxima forums. Thx for the help so far guys.

Fast1one
10-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I got one for you...

Ebay Item number 180035148253

Looks like a nice budget x-over. Jintar had the 4-way version he was selling. They look solid...

96MaxGLE
10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I actually had just looked at that. I didn't know with it being Coustic if it would b quality enough for my setup. BTW guys it a Coustic XM6. Squeak whatcha think?

squeak9798
10-09-2006, 05:54 PM
I didn't know with it being Coustic if it would b quality enough for my setup.

<--- Runs Coustic amplifiers

The XM6 is a pretty well known budget xover. Lots of people over on ECA have used it with success. UCP on here said he had one, it was shot so he sent it back and the replacement was shot aswell....frankly, I think it was bad luck more than anything as that's really the first time I'd heard of *that* type of problems with them.

It's downfall is that the slopes are fixed at 18db/oct. But for the price, it does it's job well.

96MaxGLE
10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Well sounds like that may b what I'm going with. I wish I could find a Art heatsink on eBay...maybe get it to blend a little better ;). Ok well on to the EQ...

96MaxGLE
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
How bout this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KEC-600-ELECTRONIC-RADIO-CROSSOVER-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ180035647517QQihZ008QQcategoryZ79 840QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem