PDA

View Full Version : M-6's are in... up/playing, etc..

Intercooler
10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Picked up my car this evening and thought I would give my honest impressions of them.

I have been trying to adjust to them since 5:00 and just put the car away for the night. I added the M-6's and went to a three-way setup with the 5.25's I had in the door moved to Q-Form kick-pods. My Honda had factory tweeter mounting cups that I had already been using so I actually have more or less a four-way setup with the M-6's in the doors, two sets of TW-25 tweets (one in kicks and one in factory pods) and the HD-52's in the pods. I noticed in playing it the 5.25 seems to be playing really good and I know the M-6 is doing its mid thing (I can feel it in the doors) but the tweeters seem more laid back than before. Maybe it is because they are splitting power? That isn't such a bad thing since I have smoked like three tweets so far but I kind of liked them being a little out front of everything else. With this setup I think it really balanced the car. Maybe too much! For some reason it doesn't sound as loud as before when it was a two-way setup. I haven't tuned the PEQ to see if it helps any but I am kind of on the fence right now about the whole thing. Maybe I just don't have enough power now going to the three-way setup to do the job. If balance was what I was after then I got it. Maybe I got something different than I expected :eyebrow:

Cont'd about the Honda install

Intercooler
10-05-2006, 09:42 PM
To get the M-6's in my 2001 EX's doors I had to buy the correct 6.5" adapters from Metco and their is a lip/ridge of plastic right behind the speaker grill in the door panel that had to be Dremeled down flush so the door panels would fit on right. With these installed you have less than 1/8" to the window from the back of the speaker but they will fit!

3.5Max6spd
10-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Pics bish!

:)

Hard to believe that you dont have adequate power to be louder 3way with that beast of an amp.

Intercooler
10-05-2006, 10:02 PM
When I get some daylight again I will snap some pics. I actually think the only thing in the setup that maybe needs more power are the M-6's. They can take up to 300 and I know I am not giving them near that. The 5.25's are screaming pretty good though!

alteraudiousa
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
how are you running the 3way? If you're bridging the 4ch what crossover are you using? If you aren't bridging it and running hte M6 active and the 5.25 and tweeter passive than you still don't have enough power to them. The M6 needs about 200rms alone. Also depending on the crossover the tweet may be in protection mode, not if a 3way but if a satnet 480 or below.

Intercooler
10-05-2006, 10:14 PM
X-overs are 300's I believe.

squeak12
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
If you are running tweets parallel or series, you changed the crossover points by changing the impedence.

Intercooler
10-05-2006, 11:07 PM
If you are running tweets parallel or series, you changed the crossover points by changing the impedence.So what can be done to correct it or get them playing like before?

squeak12
10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
You cant bridge tweeters unless you run them active. Say the crossover was 5000Hz for 4 ohm. Changing the impedence to 2 ohm will change the crossover to 2500Hz.

dbphelps
10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah, definitely sounds like it is setup issues, as well as possible underpowering...

I am going to be running my M-6s with SatNet 560 crossovers, 2 sets of TW-25 tweeters (one 'normal', the other as 'image' via the crossover) and powering them with ~350 rms a channel from a Zed Audio ESX Q275.2, so they should have adequate power...

The long-term option is to make them a 3-way setup active/passive with the M6s run off the Q275.2 crossed over around 400-600hz, and after picking up some HD4 4" drivers running the 4" and tweeter passive with the SatNet 560 off 2 channels of a Q120.4... My concern being that the iron core low pass inductor on the SatNet 560 crossovers will experience saturation with the high power I will be feeding it, thus active on the midbass would take care of that...

In the meantime with a 2 way setup, if I really don't like the way the SatNet 560s sound with that much power, since I have a PXA-H701 processor (fed by a IVA-D900, optically), I can always go 2-way active up front and tweak it till I am satisfied with the sound...

Key point being that I can use what I have available to really maximize the sound potential of the M6, including enough clean power, proper source componentry and flexible crossover options...

I just need to finish the sound deadening project (about 90% done), finish running the rest of the wiring (about 20-30% done), figure out a mounting location for source components (headunit/brain are in, as well as CD changer, along with all associated wiring, so only the PXA-H701 and Nav unit need to find homes) and the finally finish designing and fabbing the amp mounts (for a Q275.2, Q120.4 and a Q475.1) and I should be done... :eek: :laugh: :D

Echo42987
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
When I get some daylight again I will snap some pics. I actually think the only thing in the setup that maybe needs more power are the M-6's. They can take up to 300 and I know I am not giving them near that. The 5.25's are screaming pretty good though!

I doubt your issue is going to be underpowering

-Nick-

Intercooler
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Fixes?

From what I am gathering 75w-150w is what an M-6 needs. Looking at this three-way setup does anyone know what I am giving to the individual pieces? The shop wants to look at upping the gains and possibly going back to just a single set of tweets if that doesn't do the trick. Will going back to a single set of tweets help with the scenerio you described?

alteraudiousa
10-06-2006, 04:12 PM
M6 will move with 150rms but does need 150+rms, especially if running a crossover. if you are not running a crossover 150rms will be fine since there is no lose and you can change the crossover points. If using a crossover shoot for 175-250rms.

Intercooler
10-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Messing with the PEQ yesterday helped a good amount. When my other 6x9 come back we are going to up the gains to the front and see if that brings everything in-line. The M-6's made a nice mid gain.