PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass speaker pods / enclosures??

Rohner
10-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Im thinking about making some pods out of fiberglass to mount behind the speakers in my doors / rear speakers in the X-cab. Would it make a differance in sound quality to have them enclosed?

I have Type R components up front, and type S coaxials in the back.

Im guessing it would make it punchier and maybe sound better, but what do i know..

Any opinions?

thatkidbob
10-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Enclosed mids = a massive increase in mid-bass performance.

however... you'll want to give them at least .3 cubes to work with, and that can be difficult inside of a door. fiberglass is necessary in almost every case.

Rohner
10-05-2006, 12:40 AM
awsome, i have plenty of room for the back ones ( could probly do 1.5 cubes if a wanted), but the fronts ill have to see what i can work with.

So there arn't and disadvantages to enlosing speakers? what about tweeters, (type R) would there be any point to it?

azbass
10-05-2006, 12:45 AM
if you have teh room you would gain on doing that. but make sure the enclosure specs are on for the speakers.

but a well deadened door, a solid baffle etc. would yeild same results in midbass. that doing a full enclosure.

thatkidbob
10-05-2006, 12:47 AM
^ i'd say enclosed mids > well sealed IB mids

but i'd also agree that there isn't a HUGE difference between the two

Rohner
10-05-2006, 12:49 AM
They're already deaded with 3 layers of Edead, so i guess it will only make it better.

Lets kill 2 birds with one stone:

I want to flush mount my amp into my box and cover it with a plexiglass window. The only may that i can think of doing this will make it completly sealed up (besides the whole that ill drill for the wires). Im guessing that it will overheat in 5 mins, how would i go about making a flush mount with a window while avoiding overheating?

Big Dee
10-05-2006, 12:52 AM
I was told that most car speaker are made for IB setups, and only perform at their best in them, and sealed causes worse mid bass performance.

What's the deal? Which one is right?

thatkidbob
10-05-2006, 12:54 AM
mount the amp on the outside of the plexiglas (use rubber washers to maintain air-tightness) and use a cosmetic cover in front of that.

mounting inside the box is a bad idea... overheating + vibration = dead amp.

azbass
10-05-2006, 12:54 AM

vented mids > all ... hehe

thatkidbob
10-05-2006, 12:56 AM
if you've got the space for 'em :naughty:

Rohner
10-05-2006, 01:43 AM
mount the amp on the outside of the plexiglas (use rubber washers to maintain air-tightness) and use a cosmetic cover in front of that.

mounting inside the box is a bad idea... overheating + vibration = dead amp.

It wont acctually be "inside" the box, ill build a rectangluar box that counter sinks 2.5" (a pocket for the amp to sit in). then I want to cover that in plexiglass, iv seen it done before, jsut not sure how they avoid overheating...:uhoh:

MrSwiss
10-05-2006, 08:43 AM
ive done this about 2 weeks ago. when i first did the enclosure in the door, they were too small. i had to go back and make it about twice as large , i would estimate they are somwhere around .25 -.3 cubes.

they sound awesome in the door enclosed.

SlickCMRick
10-05-2006, 10:27 AM
anyone have pics of any glass door enclosures?

ramos
10-05-2006, 01:20 PM
vented mids > all ... hehe

Mine are vented Ib so me > jue :p: :D :)

ramos
10-05-2006, 01:26 PM

That's a big assumption man . Depends on the drivers , the volume of the enclosure, the structure of the enclosure yada yada . IME in my own chitbox, sealed mids have always required additional midbass. :)