PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Polk Momo and Alpine Type-X Comps

Suomi
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a place to listen to either of these. A local shop sells the Momos, but their sound board can only run speakers on deck power, which is useless. I can't find any shop that carries the Type-X within an hour of me. So I'd like some feedback on both sets. I listen to a variety of music; Weather Report, Sting, Joni Mitchell. I'm mostly looking for clean detailed sound. For now they'll be running 60 watts rms per channel. Anyhow, any feedback is appreciated.

Savstyle
10-04-2006, 07:58 PM
If you like mellow sound, then you will love the type X's. They sounds awesome.

Type X's get my vote

Echo42987
10-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Polk MOMO's hands down. Some of the best speakers I've ever used! Musically awsome. They type X's are good. But for the price range the MOMO's are just simply amazing

-Nick-

thatkidbob
10-05-2006, 12:00 AM
None of polk's lower end products have ever impressed me.

Alpine on the other hand makes great stuff... overpriced, but great stuff.

Towncar
10-05-2006, 12:05 AM
None of polk's lower end products have ever impressed me.

x2, also the momos arent even in the same leauge as the x's. Ide take the x's hands down. Now if you were to compare the polk sr's to the x's Ide go with the sr's;)

Suomi
10-05-2006, 12:08 AM
x2, also the momos arent even in the same leauge as the x's. Ide take the x's hands down. Now if you were to compare the polk sr's to the x's Ide go with the sr's;)

The SRs are what I really want, but they're a little pricey for my budget.

Towncar
10-05-2006, 12:09 AM
The SRs are what I really want, but they're a little pricey for my budget.

If you would have asked me about 2 weeks ago, I could have got them to you. O well :laugh:

May I suggest exile components. You could get those for a decent price, and they will kill those momos.

Suomi
10-05-2006, 12:11 AM
If you would have asked me about 2 weeks ago, I could have got them to you. O well :laugh:

May I suggest pg rsd components. You could get those cheap,and they would knock those momos in the ground.

Now I'm sad:crying:

I'm not familiar with PG RSD components. Do you know where I could find some info. I guess I could try Google.

Towncar
10-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Now I'm sad:crying:

Yea no long at tweeter... Anyways I edited.. you should take a look at the exile xtecs. I liked them better than the sr's. I mentioned rsds, but ment to say exile.

Suomi
10-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Maybe I'm retarded, but I can't find any Exile dealers online.

Towncar
10-05-2006, 12:41 AM
www.exilecaraudio.com call tomorrow, and get a quote

Suomi
10-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Do they sell direct only?

MBrock4u
10-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Honestly those are 2 top notch company's. I run products for both of them. I don't think there is any way you could go wrong with either the momo's or the type X's. They both are awesome. With that being said, I would lead a little toward the type X's. It really depends on what you are trying to acomplish.

Towncar
10-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Do they sell direct only?

yes

Suomi
10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
yes

I called them a little while ago. Apparently they are trying to not sell direct at this point, but they don't have any dealers in Michigan, so they will sell to me direct. The guy I talked to said that if I decide to order from them that they will give me a good deal. Now I'm really torn about what to get. The area I live in has no really good audio stores, and I have a hard time springing for speakers without hearing them.

Towncar
10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Well if you like to hear stuff, then go with the momos, but i can assure you they arent even in the same leauge. That is all Good luck.

CBRworm
10-05-2006, 06:16 PM
I like the Type X Tweeters. Very similar to a Vifa Xt19 but w/ a neo magnet.

Suomi
10-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Well if you like to hear stuff, then go with the momos, but i can assure you they arent even in the same leauge. That is all Good luck.

I don't consider hearing a speaker running on deck power any benefit. So the fact that a local shop sells them doesn't help much.

I like the Type X Tweeters. Very similar to a Vifa Xt19 but w/ a neo magnet.

The tweeters are what made me consider the Type-Xs in the first place.

DejaWiz
10-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Both the mids and tweets of the Type X are a variant of Vifa XT speakers. Vifa makes them exclusively for Alpine. ;)

konechiwa
10-05-2006, 08:08 PM
i love polk stuff. (nothing dB except the subs). I haven't heard the type-X's, considering i'm in the same predicament as you

(in fact, same with the MOMO stuff, but well...i have it now anyway)

polk is good stuff, and the warranty is good and they stand by their product,

so i say go with SR's. Your going to be spending money, so save up more and buy what you really want!

Towncar
10-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't consider hearing a speaker running on deck power any benefit. So the fact that a local shop sells them doesn't help much.

Well myself, and others have gave you our thoughts. You will have to make the end decision on ur own. Good luck

Suomi
10-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Well myself, and others have gave you our thoughts. You will have to make the end decision on ur own. Good luck

Clearly. I guess I will have to see how good of a deal Exile will give me on those speakers. I can get the Type-Xs for under $200 for a pair. I can't imagine that the Exiles are worth $150 more than the Alpines. Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours? You can even PM me if you want. I just want to know what type of "deal" I can expect from them.

iriejp1
10-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Considering your having a hard time finding anywhere local to listen, this information will probably be worthless to you. But I was about -><- this close to ordering up my SPX-177R's from the net after hearing them in my local shop. They were pretty good. The tweet was VERY mellow and the sound pretty rich. But once I actually found a couple of places to hear some high end speakers I decided to go with some Italian made comps called Hertz. If you get a chance to hear (not likely from the posting) them, they sound as good if not better than the $800 and $900 (retail) Focal and JL's I listened to. And they were only $379 (retail) for the HSK 165's. A bit more than the Alpine's. But worth every penny...

Echo42987
10-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna suggest the MOMO's one more time. Great speakers! Don't even need that much power to sound amazing

-Nick-

Suomi
10-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I just need to **** it up and decide.

DejaWiz
10-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Give us your short list of what you feel would be good picks from all the suggestions. We'll put them in order for you. :D

Suomi
10-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Give us your short list of what you feel would be good picks from all the suggestions. We'll put them in order for you. :D

There have only been two suggestions other than the initial two.

• HSK 165— I'd never heard of them. I looked at them on the Hertz website (http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm) and what's written there is the extent of my knowledge.

• Exile Xtec— They look like a quality speaker. I don't know if they're any nicer than the Type-X. The real kicker for me is what I can actually get them for. They retail for $350, but I'd have to get them direct from the manufacturer due to lack of dealers in my region. The manufacturer seems willing to deal, but that remains to actually be seen.

• Alpine Type-X— Very nice drivers from Vifa, including a ring-radiator tweeter. Insanely nice crossover. I've found them online for a little under $200/pair.

• Polk Momo MMC6500— The biggest thing these have going for them is the price. I have a local hookup where I can get these for near wholesale cost.

My overall thoughts are to make an offer to Exile for about $200 since that's the price I have for the Alpines, or to just get the Alpines since most people seem to think they're quite nice. Then there's that little part of me wondering if I shouldn't just go grab the Momos for really cheap. Anyways, there's that. I'm the most indecisive person I know.

Towncar
10-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Like mentioned above, go with the exiles, or the alpines. Much better than that momo garbage.

DejaWiz
10-07-2006, 04:41 AM
Here's my ordering:
1. Exile Xtec (if you can get them for around $200)
2. Alpine Type X
3. Polk Momo
4. Hertz HSK

If you are strictly trying to satisfy a tight budget, then I would order them like this:
1. Polk Momo (near wholesale price like you mentioned)
2. Alpine Type X
3. Exile Xtec
4. Hertz HSK

I personally don't know of anyone using the Hertz HSK's and I've never heard them, so I must go by what I do have experience with and place them at the bottom of the list.

Echo42987
10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Like mentioned above, go with the exiles, or the alpines. Much better than that momo garbage.

MOMO Garbage, you have no idea what your talking about!?

MOMO's then all the rest man. I'm tellin' ya it'll be the best buy! They not only are cheap like your mentioning but will sound better then all the rest of those speakers, guranteed!

-Nick-

DejaWiz
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM

MOMO's then all the rest man. I'm tellin' ya it'll be the best buy! They not only are cheap like your mentioning but will sound better then all the rest of those speakers, guranteed!

-Nick-

I'm going to say that's purely subjective. While the Momo's are nice (I had a chance to audition them a few months ago), my opinion is that the Type X will walk all over them. But again, this is purely my subjective opinion.

Towncar
10-07-2006, 01:03 PM

-Nick-

Meh, I stand by my statement. Heard those way to many times at the shop to know what they are capable of. Remember its just my opinion ;)

Notwerk
10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Having owned the Exile Pros, they make a good speaker at a good price. Exile is a startup by former Phoenix Gold employees that left when PG went to ****. I think I prefer the Alpine tweet, however, but they're both very good, so it depends on price. (Also, the Exiles might be easier to fit as the brand tends to be very conscious about mounting depths, sizing issues.) The Alpine is just a very musical speaker. Doesn't "stand out" in any regard, but that's the best thing about them, I think.

Hertz is just starting to get some notice in the U.S. They are the speaker division of the company that makes Audison amps. Haven't yet heard them, but have no reason to think they'd be anything but great. I read on some Australian boards, where the brand has been available a bit longer than in the states, that the HSK tweeter was a bit harsh for some. But, I've never heard these myself so take that with a grain of salt. Their Mille sets look amazing, though, and the Space sets look like they'd be a great option for someone with limited mounting depth.

Never been a fan of Polk, but I suppose you could do worse. If you've heard them and like them, trust your ears.

It's not an option always, but it's really worth it to listen (yes, even off deck power, even on a board) to everything. You can't always trust it, but at least it gives you an idea of what you're looking at.

Towncar
10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Having owned the Exile Pros, they make a good speaker at a good price. Exile is a startup by former Phoenix Gold employees that left when PG went to ****. I think I prefer the Alpine tweet, however, but they're both very good, so it depends on price.

First and foremost pg never went to ****, still make one hell of a product, and will continue getting better now that the original ms engineer is back. Secondly Im talking about the xtec components, not the pros. Major step up between the 2 fyi ;)

Notwerk
10-09-2006, 06:03 PM
First and foremost pg never went to ****, still make one hell of a product, and will continue getting better now that the original ms engineer is back. Secondly Im talking about the xtec components, not the pros. Major step up between the 2 fyi ;)

Compared to what PG was, yeah, I'd say they've gone to ****. They might make a comeback, but until they do, they're nowhere near what they once were. The exodus of talent (as well as dealers -- down here, every high-end shop dropped them) is proof of that. I'd take a high-end Rockford over a PG amp any day of the week these days. Four years ago, I wouldn't have dreamt of that.

On the Exiles, I bought them when the Pros were the top model. I chimed in because I at least have personal experience with those and I figured that would be of some use to original poster. Major step up? Depends on how you look at it. The mid is, but the tweeter is unchanged between the two models so at least some of my observations are still true.

Towncar
10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Compared to what PG was, yeah, I'd say they've gone to ****. They might make a comeback, but until they do, they're nowhere near what they once were. The exodus of talent (as well as dealers -- down here, every high-end shop dropped them) is proof of that. I'd take a high-end Rockford over a PG amp any day of the week these days. Four years ago, I wouldn't have dreamt of that.

On the Exiles, I bought them when the Pros were the top model. I chimed in because I at least have personal experience with those and I figured that would be of some use to original poster. Major step up? Depends on how you look at it. The mid is, but the tweeter is unchanged between the two models so at least some of my observations are still true.

Meh... Being an owner of Both new and old pg products, I can assure you quality product has not gone down. Infact the newer lines are superior. I own an m44, and honestly when i had my xenon, and titanium amps you couldnt tell a differnce between them. As for your rockford comment, rockford in no way has as good as build quality as pg, and they never will. Even Doctor fosgate off soundbuggy forums that used to work for rockford can tell you that. Apparently you havent taken a listen to the rsd's either... here's a nice read for yah
http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Audio/phoenix_gold/xenon/x100_2/index.html

Back to the original subject, the pg xenons have the same tweeters as my xtecs, to, but they sounded completely different. Different crossovers ect... I havent heard the xps, so i wont comment on them.

Notwerk
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Back to the original subject, the pg xenons have the same tweeters as my xtecs, to, but they sounded completely different. Different crossovers ect... I havent heard the xps, so i wont comment on them.

I'm almost positive you either mistyped or you're wrong. The tweeter in the Exiles, from speaking extensively with Morgan, are their own design and share nothing with any PG product (they were modeled, more or less, on the Morel-based Elite line, not the Xenons which if memory serves me right, were either developed about the same time or came out after the Exiles).

Unless PG went and copied the Exile tweeter, which I'd think is unlikely, unless you know something I don't...

Towncar
10-09-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm almost positive you either mistyped or you're wrong. The tweeter in the Exiles, from speaking extensively with Morgan, are their own design and share nothing with any PG product (they were modeled, more or less, on the Morel-based Elite line, not the Xenons which if memory serves me right, were either developed about the same time or came out after the Exiles).

Unless PG went and copied the Exile tweeter, which I'd think is unlikely, unless you know something I don't...

I have them both right now sitting side by side. I can almost attest to them being the same tweeter. Oh well.. Also the xenon woofer is totaly different, aswell as some other things, but they use the same phase plug, same mount asembly screw on tweeter. They share some similar qualities. The xtecs are miles beyond the xenons though. But ive noticed several things similar having them both side by side.