PDA

View Full Version : HD help

btnhfan
09-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Now that I have some extra cash, I want to get an HD antenna.

My tv has a built in tuner, and Im a complete noob when it comes to this kind of thing.

Here is what antennaweb.org had to say for me. I need advice on picking one, or if someone knows one that will work for me.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/trexdan/antenna.jpg

btnhfan
09-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Or can anyone direct me to a place that would be able to help?

brandontw
09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
it seems to me that just about any HD anntenna would work, i would just shop around and see if you see one that matches your needs.

My first stop for shopping would prolly be Ebay, im addicted :(

btnhfan
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Yea but theres one channel thats vhf - nbc, and everything else is uhf.

brandontw
09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
dont antennas come with both uhf and vhf?

brandontw
09-26-2006, 05:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/TERK-HDTVi-INDOOR-ANTENNA-HDTV-VHF-UHF-HD-TVI-NEW_W0QQitemZ110035377921QQihZ001QQcategoryZ73383Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

joetama
09-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Here check some of these out.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/HDTV_antennas.html

Generally go with something that is 5-10db gain. The dual band ones are going to get you because they are pretty much two antennas hooked together. I would just run UHF unless you REALLY want to get the VHF stations. VHF is going to be a much dirtier band.

I would go with that V21 or the medium range 42XG or indoor DB2…

btnhfan
09-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Well I would love nbc because I can watch the office in hd....:crap:

And I dont need a multi directional?

btnhfan
09-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Bump!

JimJ
09-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Get the biggest possible antenna system you can put up in your location and that you can afford. Indoor antennas are always a compromise, unless you live in a 20 story high-rise. A directional antenna on a sturdy rotator will pull in the strongest signals consistently, period. A good rule of thumb is that if it looks pretty, it probably isn't worth **** as an antenna :D

When you lose directionality, you also lose receive gain...a simple vertical whip antenna receives the same from all directions, but will have a lower signal strength than an array pointing at the same station.

Don't forget to buy good coax, losses at UHF can be substantial. High quality RG-6QS will get the job done.

djman37
09-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Well I would love nbc because I can watch the office in hd....:crap:

And I dont need a multi directional?

go to radioshack and get the biggest UHF/VHF antenna they sell, it probably has dust on it. Old school...with fins that angle up like arrows, the whole bit. That will work. I work at a VHF TV station;) We have analog 8|DT 9|8.1,8.2,8.3

You can also call WAGA and WSB, they'll tell you what works for them.

gr1m
09-28-2006, 11:48 PM
yep go to ratshack....my buddy has a regular rabbit ear non-hd antenna from walmart he bot for $10ish he gets excellent hi-def

btnhfan
09-29-2006, 12:44 AM
go to radioshack and get the biggest UHF/VHF antenna they sell, it probably has dust on it. Old school...with fins that angle up like arrows, the whole bit. That will work. I work at a VHF TV station;) We have analog 8|DT 9|8.1,8.2,8.3

You can also call WAGA and WSB, they'll tell you what works for them.

Ill have to look into that.

I mean Im 3 stories up in downtown Atlanta. There are a couple huge high rises, but I hear the signals bounce off.

Im going to try and get to radio shack very soon, or go to that site online and but a universal antenna.