PDA

View Full Version : Sony Sub - New Box needs Ideas

hoaxci5
09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
So I've got a Sony SA-WM40 which is a powered 12 (120 watts) and I want to try to build a new box for it. It's in a small ported box no idea of tuning or size, I would guess it's about 1 cube total including the port (gross?)

I'd like to make a new box and see if I can get a little more out of it, at some point I will replace the sub but for now thats what I have. I have no idea of the T/S of the speaker. So what can I do to make a better sounding box?

Options I'm considering

Make a large ported box tuned low
Try to make a bandpass box (never built one so I'd like to try but would need help with design)

I'm open to ideas and I'm pretty decent with a saw so please give me some input.

Thanks.

JimJ
09-25-2006, 07:31 PM
The concern I'd have with going with a larger box is possibly running into mechanical limits...and of course, without T/S params you're just bumbling along in the dark.

PV Audio
09-25-2006, 07:52 PM
The concern I'd have with going with a larger box is possibly running into mechanical limits...and of course, without T/S params you're just bumbling along in the dark.
You could bumble along in the dark with me any day of the week :naughty:

PV Audio
09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
IIRC, sonys arent big fans of big ported boxes.
Yes and no. The problem with saying that is that since it's a HT sub, it's most likely some random OEM company's speaker that sony just uses. There's really no way to know what it is, since it probably has sony's name on it anyway.

hoaxci5
09-25-2006, 08:15 PM
If I pull the speaker out will there be any destinguishing marks that will make it more likely to be identified?

PV Audio
09-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Most likely not, but you might as well so we can see.

PowerNaudio
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
at some point I will replace the sub but for now thats what I have.

if the replacement sub is still going to be a 12" then find the T/S for that sub and build the enclosure for that sub and just drop the sony in. once you can get the one you want. you already have the enclosure for it, that way you dont waist time, effort and money tring to figure out anything about this sony sub. and then doing it all over for the sub you actualy want. and you never know, the sony may sound ok, on the enclosure for the future sub.

laters

hoaxci5
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Sony 1-529-652-11

google search doesn't turn up any real info on it, but that is what the sub has on the magnet.

The replacement sub isn't coming for some time so I really don't care if I have to make a new box for it. So really I just want to make the sony sound better if possible.