PDA

View Full Version : Box build pics

Pitchblack98
09-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Ive started building my box today... I think I might have a problem with my original design. It all looked good in Autocad, but now that its built it looks a lot tighter than I expected it to be. This is just a mock up at the moment. Im experimenting with different locations for the speakers and amps. Its for 2 type r 12s, 2 M1005 amps and 1 F345 amp.

Does anyone see any problems with this set up. Im not sure if its going to work correctly since the speakers are soo close to the opening of the port. Its also ported out the top of the box. That little opening at the bottom is where there is a hump in the floor of my truck. Im open to suggestions and any help. Im not sure when I will get to the fiberglass part because its in the 30s and 40s outside and my garage is not heated. I might go ahead and build a square wood box for the time being and finish this over the next few weeks.

Any questions... just ask.

http://forums.broke-off.com/uploads/post-188-1158985489.jpg

azbass
09-23-2006, 01:26 AM
how you plan to route the wires. ?

jeeper07
09-23-2006, 01:27 AM
looks rather nice man keep up the good work ill be waiting for the finished product.... what did u use to make it tho is that pb ?

Pitchblack98
09-23-2006, 01:38 AM
All the wires will be inside the box. Power, RCA, etc. I might take the amp rack out of the box and build another one that floats above the box. Im not sure yet...

The box is made out of MDF from Home Depot. I have a sheet from lowes too and it looks a little different from the Home Depot sheet. So as far as I know its MDF.

jeeper07
09-23-2006, 01:39 AM
oh ok my bad looks great man

iamamp3pimp
09-23-2006, 05:42 AM
that looks amazing.

I would love to see it finished.

soul05
09-23-2006, 06:42 AM
1/2 mdf?

Pitchblack98
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
No its all 3/4".

I hope I will get to work on it a little more soon. I just cant fit my truck in the garare and I need to fiberglass the bottom of the box in the truck. Not sure how well it will go since its 30 degrees and snowing right now. I hope it will warm up a little next weekend. After that is done I will mock it up in the truck to make sure the seats go where they are supposed to.

My cd changer is also going to be molded into the left side of the box. There used to be jump seats in the side of the extended cab part of the truck. I took them out and plan on mounting my CD changer on one side and a First aid kit on the other. We do a lot of off roading on the weekends so a first aid kit is a must.

Chevyaudio
09-23-2006, 02:09 PM
in my opinion it looks a little to cluttered. I would of built a separate box and amp rack. Like AZbass said routing the wires will be a problem and glassing that will also be a pain in the ***.

PV Audio
09-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Looks good, but simplicity is a great goal to have.

Pitchblack98
09-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah it looked simple on paper... lol

I think I'm going to rethink the amp rack. I will keep the box the same since thats the only way to get the airspace I need for a ported box. I'm thinking about mounting the amps upside down on the roof of my truck in a simular set up. They all have fans so I think they will be ok and not over heat. I will do a little research to be sure first.

My truck will also be a show truck. Its not going to be a show only truck. Its going to get beat up a little rock crawling. I just want the interior to look nice and there stereo is going in for the long run.

Its all going into this. Ive had it for about a month now. I have a 3" suspension lift and a 2" body lift on the way. 18" Weld Rock crawler wheels and 33" tires.

http://forums.broke-off.com/uploads/post-188-1158985487.jpg

iamamp3pimp
09-23-2006, 02:44 PM
nice truck!

jj4475
09-23-2006, 02:47 PM
whoa

Pitchblack98
09-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks!

PV Audio
09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Lol the truck has a drrrrrrr look to it :laugh:

J/p.

bri487
09-25-2006, 01:25 AM
crawling with that??? IFS FTL!! new truck FTL!! no gearing FTL!! no lockers FTL!! weak front end, rear end, axles, halfshafts, t-case FTL!! no power FTL!! no ground clearance FTL!! but i like your box.

LeofromtheH
09-25-2006, 01:33 AM
crawling with that??? IFS FTL!! new truck FTL!! no gearing FTL!! no lockers FTL!! weak front end, rear end, axles, halfshafts, t-case FTL!! no power FTL!! no ground clearance FTL!! but i like your box.

lol, ouch:blackeye:

bri487
09-25-2006, 01:35 AM
lol, ouch:blackeye:

you think that hurts. wait until he gets on a trail with that thing. that will be the true pain.

LeofromtheH
09-25-2006, 01:39 AM
i don't know that it's gon be used for 'crawling' per se, but rather 'offroading' i would guess. playing in the mud? or dirt? who knows. obviously not crawling though, if it's not got the prper equipment, shits' gona bust like anut

bri487
09-25-2006, 01:41 AM
i don't know that it's gon be used for 'crawling' per se, but rather 'offroading' i would guess. playing in the mud? or dirt? who knows. obviously not crawling though, if it's not got the prper equipment, shits' gona bust like anut

yea, to a certain degree it will break, but even in mild crawling when not really putting that much of a load on the drivetrain and not working the chassis too hard, it will still really suffer with and IFS front end, stock gearing, and no lockers.

Pitchblack98
09-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Ive only had the truck for a month. I have a pile of parts sitting in my garage and a lot more on the way. It will have a 5 inch total lift when its done and I have an ARB air locker waiting to go in. I plan on doing it all at once. I already have 32 inch tires waiting for wheels. Ill replace the stearing as soon as it starts breaking. Ive already done some mild offroading and smaller rock crawling with it. Im not scared to tear it up or break it. Its already scratched all the hell and a couple of dents under the doors since I dont have sliders on it yet. I plan on making sliders myself.

Ill post some more pics of as soon as parts start going on. I didnt see a reason to put them on one at a time when I could just wait till I get them all and have a few friends over from NWC and knock it out in a weekend.

ultimate157
09-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Ive only had the truck for a month. I have a pile of parts sitting in my garage and a lot more on the way. It will have a 5 inch total lift when its done and I have an ARB air locker waiting to go in. I plan on doing it all at once. I already have 32 inch tires waiting for wheels. Ill replace the stearing as soon as it starts breaking. Ive already done some mild offroading and smaller rock crawling with it. Im not scared to tear it up or break it. Its already scratched all the hell and a couple of dents under the doors since I dont have sliders on it yet. I plan on making sliders myself.

Ill post some more pics of as soon as parts start going on. I didnt see a reason to put them on one at a time when I could just wait till I get them all and have a few friends over from NWC and knock it out in a weekend.

If you are getting a 3" lift kit, how are you getting the extra 2 inches? Please don't say blocks and spacers.

I wish a 3" lift would fit 33's on my cherokee. Next summer she's gettin a 3" and 32's with fender trimming.

bri487
09-25-2006, 11:17 AM

with only 5" and 32"s, you arent going to have the ground clearance you need for real rock crawling. then you arent going to have the right gearing for it. what tires do you plan on using? and unless you have a straight front axle, you arent going to do much. but hey, that over 15k worth of stuff.

bri487
09-25-2006, 11:19 AM
If you are getting a 3" lift kit, how are you getting the extra 2 inches? Please don't say blocks and spacers.

I wish a 3" lift would fit 33's on my cherokee. Next summer she's gettin a 3" and 32's with fender trimming.

yea, the extra ground clearance is nice, but you also have to think how much travel you have left in the fender well. look at the rubicon trip thread. check out some of those pics.

onefalsemove
09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I agree with Bri.
I couldnt imagine having all that for your stereo and then going off roading. *shiver*

Pitchblack98
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
lol the stereo is the most important thing...

Bri487... I dont do enough offroading to justify a SFA. I have eyeballed the Calamini SFA swap, I just dont do enough to want to buy it. I live in Colorado and most of the trails are rocky. Ive already been on a couple of trails with the truck being stock that were pretty rough. The hardest Ive been on was ranked 6 and I bypassed a lot of the larger obsticals.

My truck is a daily driver and I just use it a couple of times a month to go offroading. I am by no means rock crawling over huge boulders, but I do plan on going to Moab for GoneMoab 07. I dont want to turn it into this extensive offroad rig and lose the ability to drive it 45 miles one way to work everyday. If I had a daily driver I might be inclided to build a rig like that.

So the trucking is being build to look nice and be functional on the trails.

bri487
09-25-2006, 01:07 PM
lol the stereo is the most important thing...

Bri487... I dont do enough offroading to justify a SFA. I have eyeballed the Calamini SFA swap, I just dont do enough to want to buy it. I live in Colorado and most of the trails are rocky. Ive already been on a couple of trails with the truck being stock that were pretty rough. The hardest Ive been on was ranked 6 and I bypassed a lot of the larger obsticals.

My truck is a daily driver and I just use it a couple of times a month to go offroading. I am by no means rock crawling over huge boulders, but I do plan on going to Moab for GoneMoab 07. I dont want to turn it into this extensive offroad rig and lose the ability to drive it 45 miles one way to work everyday. If I had a daily driver I might be inclided to build a rig like that.

So the trucking is being build to look nice and be functional on the trails.

ha, one of the guys that was with us last weekend flipped his yota (daily driver) at moab last year. this last weekend he almost flipped his Cj (daily driver).

this is my gf's dads jy. it performs awesome on the road. for something of that size, it drives like a dream on the road and is one of the baddest on the trail. so the daily driver theory kind of goes out the window. the guy with the brown Cj drives about 30 miles to work everyday, and the other yellow one used to go further everyday until he got his new job.
http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/007/05/ED/38/CD/CVw-AeFEtITItuBylQCXvLdR1W9VSnCo0300.jpg

Pitchblack98
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Thats a pretty sweet jeep...

Heres a pick of our last trip. This is a friend of mines day... He threw a rod thru the block on the way back home after we got off the trail. We arent sure if there was some damage done when it rolled. He shut it down before it rolled over since he knew it was coming.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3595/10023472ro.jpg

bri487
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM
^ Ifs Ftl!!!

CBFryman2
09-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Torsion Bars FTL

9" Travle FTL

Ford Ranger = Not for crawling.

My mom has a Frontier. The 4cyl...no power, no torque, no gearing, didnt like towing a 19' Bayliner....especially out of the watter. My B3000 (basically a ford ranger) is 100% better all around. She doesnt even get better mileage than me.

Mom's Frontier
<10" Ground Clearance
No Power
No Torque
No Gearing
No Differential
No Grip (on any sort of off road...even just a plain old dirt road)
Poor mileage
2wd

My B3000
15" Ground Clearance (stacked 3 coke cans under it and drove right over)
30" All Terain Tires
Limited Slip
2wd
18-22mpg Depending on what kind of driving im doing
Lots of torque
Decent power (Gibson's exaust and Fram filter made a decent difference too)

Nice box though. Keep the Frontier on the road. Nissan needs to stick to cars IMO.

Pitchblack98
09-25-2006, 07:43 PM
The truck on its side is a Frontier also. I have the s/c V6 in mine. It gets crappy mileage, but its got enough torque for what I do.

Check out xterraownersclub.com or nissanoffroad.net and you would be surprised at some of the rigs people have and how capable they are. There a guy around here with a 2005 Xterra with a SFA swap that can go pratically anywhere.

I used to have a 94 B4000 4x4 and it was the biggest pile of crap I have ever owned. Not knocking mazda or anything, I loved their 86-91 B series trucks. They made great minitrucks. I guess Im just not a Ford person and the B4000 was basically a ranger to start with.

bri487
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Torsion Bars FTL

9" Travle FTL

Ford Ranger = Not for crawling.

My mom has a Frontier. The 4cyl...no power, no torque, no gearing, didnt like towing a 19' Bayliner....especially out of the watter. My B3000 (basically a ford ranger) is 100% better all around. She doesnt even get better mileage than me.

Mom's Frontier
<10" Ground Clearance
No Power
No Torque
No Gearing
No Differential
No Grip (on any sort of off road...even just a plain old dirt road)
Poor mileage
2wd

My B3000
15" Ground Clearance (stacked 3 coke cans under it and drove right over)
30" All Terain Tires
Limited Slip
2wd
18-22mpg Depending on what kind of driving im doing
Lots of torque
Decent power (Gibson's exaust and Fram filter made a decent difference too)

Nice box though. Keep the Frontier on the road. Nissan needs to stick to cars IMO.

both of yours FTL!

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2585/cavmx3f9l3apnwww0hhrhl6hwma40300if0.jpg

Pitchblack98
09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
lmao... that is all... This thread is way off topic, but its funny.

airmcn_3
09-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Looking good Bro! I have a box very sim to that going in a T100 right now, I just got finished with a Box for a 2007 Avalanche with a flushed amp in the face, Needless to say putting the wires in the box and getting everything sealed up is a neat trick. You might want to think about some type of Junction Box somewhere integrated where the RCA's Power. GND. ECT are permanent , another thought I had was to build in dead air space between the amp rack and the box, possibly run the wires in there, kinda like a sealed wire tray. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Chris