PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from computer?

brandontw
09-21-2006, 03:53 PM
When i have my compy connected to my receiver, there seems to be feedback or something. If i leave no music playing, and turn up the receiver there is a low buzzing/humm noise. This has happened with all of my computers, and I wonder if there is any way to fix it?

it also happens with my digital cable box...:crap:

But if i unplug the Rca's connecting the components to the receiver, it quits.

jj4475
09-21-2006, 03:55 PM
mine dont do it till about half way volume

brandontw
09-21-2006, 04:30 PM
mine too, but my DVD movies play quietly for some reason

traksta15
09-21-2006, 05:09 PM
mine does it too.....wonder why?

IamDeMan
09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
First hing to do is make sure both the source(PC or outboard soundcard) are connected to the same power plug as the amplifier. This isolates the chance that the hum is coming from some weird ground loop issue. I have found this problem to mostly be with onboard or PCI sound cards. I use an extigy USB sound card with my HTPC and connect it via optical cable to my receivr and get ZERO introduced noise.

joetama
09-21-2006, 09:51 PM
The problem is noise from the computer is leaking down the audio cable it's a pre amp to ground noise issue.... What you need to do is to get some sort of isolator or "Direct" box which isolates the input from ground.....

brandontw
09-22-2006, 03:17 AM
The problem is noise from the computer is leaking down the audio cable it's a pre amp to ground noise issue.... What you need to do is to get some sort of isolator or "Direct" box which isolates the input from ground.....any link... ideas?
any way to do it cheaply?

joetama
09-22-2006, 12:47 PM
This is the direct box that we use, very very handy little piece of equipment. You could also look on partys express for any type of "isolation" transformer box or something like that....

Link AS REQUESTED!!!!
http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/displitters/horizon/horizondi.html

The trick I use on my laptop is I unplug it from the AC source, but IF you have a desktop this wont work unless your computer is magic lol....

IamDeMan
09-22-2006, 04:14 PM
This is the direct box that we use, very very handy little piece of equipment. You could also look on partys express for any type of "isolation" transformer box or something like that....

Link AS REQUESTED!!!!
http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/displitters/horizon/horizondi.html

The trick I use on my laptop is I unplug it from the AC source, but IF you have a desktop this wont work unless your computer is magic lol....
This fully explains why my USB Sound card introduce no noise. I find it to be the best choice honestly. It's something that can easily be added to any system/laptop I may own or want to use. The etigy I use has a **** load of options, inputs and outputs as well. I love it.

JimJ
09-22-2006, 04:26 PM
This isolates the chance that the hum is coming from some weird ground loop issue.

I've gotten plenty of 60Hz hum when everything is plugged into the same surge protector :(

joetama
09-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Surge Protectors are bad for ground noise because part of what they do is directly connect all the grounds together behiend the "real" ground so the noise has no where to go except loop around back into your device.

IamDeMan
09-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I've gotten plenty of 60Hz hum when everything is plugged into the same surge protector :(

Well nothing is full proof obviously :emb:

I've heard that usually alleviates those AC hums.

btnhfan
09-24-2006, 05:21 PM
How is the receiver connected to the pc?

I switched over from rca to optical.

No noise.

brandontw
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
How is the receiver connected to the pc?

I switched over from rca to optical.

No noise.

yeah my reciever doesnt have optical...i need a new reciever

brandontw
09-26-2006, 07:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-HEAVY-IEC-FILTERED-AC-POWER-CABLES-cord-audiophile_W0QQitemZ270033442763QQihZ017QQcategory Z32830QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what do you think of these?

CJL
09-26-2006, 07:14 AM
When i have my compy connected to my receiver, there seems to be feedback or something. If i leave no music playing, and turn up the receiver there is a low buzzing/humm noise. This has happened with all of my computers, and I wonder if there is any way to fix it?

it also happens with my digital cable box...:crap:

But if i unplug the Rca's connecting the components to the receiver, it quits.

sand your grounds to bare metal,most likely it a bad ground.

:jk: :p:

joetama
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
The problem is if your ground to the surge protector is corrupt or not. If it is compromised then you need to get a surge protector with isolation on ground. Higher end ones will have this. However, if the problem is developed from an idem that is plugged into your surge protector then you need to isolate that out.

JimJ
09-26-2006, 11:03 AM
May look into that direct box...the sub still hums even with the ground lifted.

joetama
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
What we originally used DI's for was for Keyboards and Bass's that had 1/4 outs to go to the XLR. But, I have found they have a million different uses....

Bolognablake
09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Maybe I missed it, but are you using onboard audio? The inside of a computer is a very noisy place.

brandontw
09-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Maybe I missed it, but are you using onboard audio? The inside of a computer is a very noisy place.

yeah onboard audio