PDA

View Full Version : memphis componets

KRD
09-20-2006, 06:54 PM
anyone ever hear these. The MSYNC's or MSQ's? I'm looking for real good sound quality. What other brands should I look at the will not kill the bank, lets say price limit of 800.

I have 4 SS RL-i8's in sealed boxes with 1500 watts going to them and I don't want the subs to be overpowering the mids and highs.

Thanks

JimJ
09-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I have the Msync6's, and with EQing on the top end they sound great.

But for $800, I'd be looking into other sets, like Polk's Signature Reference and Boston Z6's...or DIY.

squeak9798
09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
$800 is a pretty high limit for not wanting to break the bank.

As Jim said; the Memphis comps are great. People really don't give them enough credit. As soon as this weather gets a wee bit warmer, I'll be able to finish my kicks and get my Msync 8's up and running finally.

What size comps are you looking for?

How much power do you plan on running?

Where are they going to be installed?

GrnEydDvl
09-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Everyone keeps telling me the Rainbow Powerline CS's I have on order are extremely good for SQ and can get retarded loud. They are a little more than your limit of $800 but close enough for you to check them out.

With a proper amp they should have no problem keeping up with your four 8's.

Look for a review soon from me once I get them in. Wish I could give you a first person description now but they arent here yet :crying:

KRD
09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
If I was to go with Memphis I would build some kicks and put the MSYNC8 in there for some good mid bass, and then finish my door pod with the MSYNC5. I have a 30 band memphis EQ and a MCA3004. I figure for my 800 I could get both sets of comps. What do you think? I already have the amp and EQ.

squeak9798
09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I think ditch the idea of putting a 2nd set in your doors.

A single Msync 8 set in your kicks would sound wonderful....

Adding more speakers = bad. Especially when you are using speakers specifically designed to reduce point source locations.

KRD
09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry but I do not totally understand the idea of more=bad. I'm pretty new to the SQ side of audio, and have never owned a set of comp speakers, just co-ax. Can you explain to me why it would not be a good idea? If I just use the MSYNC8 in the kicks will that be enough highs or should I get another set of tweets? Only using 1 set defeats the purpose of the 4 channel amp, unless I bridge it to the 8s, but then i think that it is to much power for them.

Etac
09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
i have these speakers atm... im happy with them - i wanna buy something better but for the money.. they can get loud... defently handle more then their 50/100 ratings.. and bass sounds good as long as you arent grinding them..

after listening to them for awhile and askin my friends - the aluminum tweeters can get a little harsh but only at very high volumes.. therefore i decided to put in silk dome tweeters... they're on order right now and while im waiting for them i have the tweeter dropped back in the woofer..

squeak9798
09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry but I do not totally understand the idea of more=bad. I'm pretty new to the SQ side of audio, and have never owned a set of comp speakers, just co-ax. Can you explain to me why it would not be a good idea?

The more point sources you have playing the same frequency range, the more problems you run into. For one, you would need a lot of time alignment for it to even sound decent. Beyond that, you are still going to have the same frequencies coming at you from too many locations, which is going to confuse the soundstage and imaging. Beyond that, you'll also have an increase in constructive and destructive interference, which will reek havoc on your frequency response.

If I just use the MSYNC8 in the kicks will that be enough highs or should I get another set of tweets?

Just the one set of tweeters will be perfectly fine.

Only using 1 set defeats the purpose of the 4 channel amp, unless I bridge it to the 8s, but then i think that it is to much power for them.

Bridge it, you'll be fine.

Just set your gains conservatively if necessary and don't go crazy boosting frequencies on an EQ (if you are going to use one).

Plus the Memphis can handle power pretty well. Going a fair bit over the rated RMS is not a problem.

KRD
09-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Should I put the tweets in the kicks with the 8's? Where else? Should I even put the comps in the kicks? Would the door panels be better? Sorry for so many ?'s

squeak9798
09-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Kicks.

If you are using the Sync's, then leave the tweeter in the middle of the mid.

If it's a "regular" component set, then yes...mount the tweeters in the kicks aswell. You can play with the positioning of the tweeter.....but my suggestion is to try it in the kicks first. Generally, that works best if you aim the kicks properly.