View Full Version : Audio/Video switcher

Ruthless Pastor
09-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I know that there are many options out there but I don't need one for a high-def system, so no optical. Is there something I should look for that would hurt the sound and picture quality? I was considering something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4Way-HDTV-HD-Component-Switch-Switcher-S-Video-Audio-TV_W0QQitemZ170030934524QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64596QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any other suggestions would be great. I'm looking to spend about $50 max.

09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
What are the things that you are hooking up to this? Is it good quality components?

Ruthless Pastor
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
What are the things that you are hooking up to this? Is it good quality components?

Not high end but of decent quality.

Technics Receiver; about 10 years old
Pioneer CD changer
Denon tape deck
Denon DVD changer
iPod (eventually)
Tube television

The receiver doesn't have enough inputs on the back for all of the equipment, but since it's decent quality I don't want to introduce a source that will kill the sq I get out of it.

09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I would use the receiver for most of the inputs.....

Then use the switcher for things like the VCR, iPod, and Tape Deck

09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
man i hate when they lable them "Switchers" that is not a switcher that is a selector, there is a difference between the 2. ( i would know since i do video editing and camera work for a company, no BS here). a selector will select to another feed without mainting the signal of the video so it causes a flicker, while a switcher will maintian the signal and wont cause a flicker(keeps a stable frame) just my .02cents

Ruthless Pastor
09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Okay, so I'm now looking for a "selector" which I never would have known if Maniac didn't drop some knowledge. I doubt the peeps at Best Circuit/Buy City would know the difference but if I go in there I'll be sure to tell them. Either way, my original question has gone unanswered which I will revise. Is it worth spending more money on something like this:

then on the Phillips one I had a link to in the original post? Is there a quality difference I should look for?

09-21-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't think there will be much "quality" difference, I think the one from PE just comes with a fancy remote. That is what I think....

09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
i like the philips one cause it has component input outputs.