PDA

View Full Version : Audio/Video switcher

Ruthless Pastor
09-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I know that there are many options out there but I don't need one for a high-def system, so no optical. Is there something I should look for that would hurt the sound and picture quality? I was considering something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4Way-HDTV-HD-Component-Switch-Switcher-S-Video-Audio-TV_W0QQitemZ170030934524QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64596QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any other suggestions would be great. I'm looking to spend about $50 max.

joetama
09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
What are the things that you are hooking up to this? Is it good quality components?

Ruthless Pastor
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
What are the things that you are hooking up to this? Is it good quality components?

Not high end but of decent quality.

Technics Receiver; about 10 years old
Pioneer CD changer
Denon tape deck
Denon DVD changer
X-Box
iPod (eventually)
VCR
Tube television

The receiver doesn't have enough inputs on the back for all of the equipment, but since it's decent quality I don't want to introduce a source that will kill the sq I get out of it.

joetama
09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I would use the receiver for most of the inputs.....

Then use the switcher for things like the VCR, iPod, and Tape Deck

Megalomaniac
09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
man i hate when they lable them "Switchers" that is not a switcher that is a selector, there is a difference between the 2. ( i would know since i do video editing and camera work for a company, no BS here). a selector will select to another feed without mainting the signal of the video so it causes a flicker, while a switcher will maintian the signal and wont cause a flicker(keeps a stable frame) just my .02cents

Ruthless Pastor
09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Okay, so I'm now looking for a "selector" which I never would have known if Maniac didn't drop some knowledge. I doubt the peeps at Best Circuit/Buy City would know the difference but if I go in there I'll be sure to tell them. Either way, my original question has gone unanswered which I will revise. Is it worth spending more money on something like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-935

then on the Phillips one I had a link to in the original post? Is there a quality difference I should look for?

joetama
09-21-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't think there will be much "quality" difference, I think the one from PE just comes with a fancy remote. That is what I think....

Megalomaniac
09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
i like the philips one cause it has component input outputs.