PDA

View Full Version : Think I found out whats wrong with my SLC's

Ruffy
09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Well since I got them I wasent happy with the output. I was running them without a subwoofer what so ever off a Hifonics amp. The midbass was lacking completely. Still is somewhat but sounds better than before. Oh and my doors are deadened to hell. I have 20sqft of damplifier on each door. Front, back, inside, out. I'm about to put an order for some more for the rest of the car and some ensolite or overkill.

Anyway, last week I decided to reset my gains to proper levels so out I went with a DMM and set it to 20volts(100*4 then sqrt) Instantly the sound was improved(Seems i had my gains still fairly low) But something still sounded wrong.

I played with the fader and balanced and finally understood the problem. The left channel sounds completely different from the right channel. It sounds half powered or blown. The right channel sounds great. left sounds soft and lacking. I dont know if its the woofer, the tweeter or the crossover. To me it sounds like its the tweeter thats not producing much.

Could this have been whats been throwing me off and lacking midbass all this time? Any ideas on what I should do?

gl0ck
09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
The tweeter output for tweeter didnt work on my x over at all, check your wires and whatnot, then make sure both are set to the same level like +0 or +3

Oh and play with the gains some more, along with the settings on the amp.

Ruffy
09-19-2006, 08:44 AM
The tweeter output for tweeter didnt work on my x over at all, check your wires and whatnot, then make sure both are set to the same level like +0 or +3

Oh and play with the gains some more, along with the settings on the amp.

well 0db, -3, +3, and -6dB offered no audible difference for me

As for playing with settings. been doing that since I got them. Right now im quite sure the left tweeter is blown. Sound is still coming out of it. but not details and it's missing alot compared to the right.

3.5Max6spd
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Have you checked to see if both chs on the amp are putting out same power?

Ruffy
09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
yep. Got them both to just slightly above 20v with my calculations.

I can try checking again later. I'll be tracing things

FoxPro5
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
What does the resistance on the tweeter VC read?

I would start with playing test tones to determine what speakers are not playing they way they should. Just play one at a time until you figure out which one is bad. Then check the connections. Sometimes the terminal posts can wiggle loose and cause intermittent cutting in and out.

Ruffy
09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
What does the resistance on the tweeter VC read?

I would start with playing test tones to determine what speakers are not playing they way they should. Just play one at a time until you figure out which one is bad. Then check the connections. Sometimes the terminal posts can wiggle loose and cause intermittent cutting in and out.

I'm at work right now but I'll def be checking the resistance first.

filtor1
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Switch sides on the crossovers. That will def rule out a crossover malfunction. I hope you aren't one of the people that like to put crossovers in doors. Def check the ohm across the VC of both the tweeter and the midbass if that isn't the issue.

Ruffy
09-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Switch sides on the crossovers. That will def rule out a crossover malfunction. I hope you aren't one of the people that like to put crossovers in doors. Def check the ohm across the VC of both the tweeter and the midbass if that isn't the issue.

no. crossovers are in the dash panel. I was going to have them in the trunk but I ran out of wire and didnt want to buy more. I probably will rerun wire down the road when I yank up the carpet and deaden the floor

heyman421
09-19-2006, 04:42 PM
check your voltages at the speaker.

component wiring can be a ***** + 2/3.

also, could be tweeter phasing

3.5Max6spd
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
also, could be tweeter phasing

Could be the reason one tweet plays louder than the other.

zthumper
09-19-2006, 06:04 PM
I just send my slc's back cause something was screwed up in em. They blew 3 amps and no i didn't hook them up wrong so hopefully your not havin the same probs as i did.

superdooperman
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I just send my slc's back cause something was screwed up in em. They blew 3 amps and no i didn't hook them up wrong so hopefully your not havin the same probs as i did.

Since when do speakers cause amps to blow up?

zthumper
09-19-2006, 08:51 PM

Ask that to my amps :blackeye: they took quite a beatin.....and yeah i have no idea how it could have happened.

3.5Max6spd
09-19-2006, 09:03 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

VQ35max
09-20-2006, 01:00 AM
I hope you aren't one of the people that like to put crossovers in doors.

Whats wrong with putting crossovers in the door? Water damage possibilities?

FoxPro5
09-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Ask that to my amps :blackeye: they took quite a beatin.....and yeah i have no idea how it could have happened.

I do! :eyebrow:

Ruffy
09-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Well good news and bad news

I measured the impendance of the tweeters. they were at 3.9 ohms. So its not them :(

This only means I got a problem elsewhere. gotta check the crossover when i have time. I'm thinking i'll swap crossovers and see if the sound issue follows it. If it doesnt than theres an issue with wiring

6spdcoupe
09-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Well good news and bad news

I measured the impendance of the tweeters. they were at 3.9 ohms. So its not them :(

This only means I got a problem elsewhere. gotta check the crossover when i have time. I'm thinking i'll swap crossovers and see if the sound issue follows it. If it doesnt than theres an issue with wiring

So then This could be corrected... ;)

sounds like way too much power fo them. I'm running them off 100watts rms and they hurt. Plus a tweeter came blown.

Ruffy
09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Could be the reason one tweet plays louder than the other.

it's not just loud it's quality. It's like they're cutoff really high.

Ruffy
09-20-2006, 10:23 AM
So then This could be corrected... ;)

Tweeter sounded off since it was plugged in, even to the stock system. my gains prior to using the DMM were fairly low(14 volts)
Only recently did I turn it up to what 100rms should be @ 20volts. I'll be checking more things today and tommorrow.

3.5Max6spd
09-20-2006, 10:39 AM
I do! :eyebrow:

x2

While theres always a remote possibility of a getting a faulty product, I just happen to notice most of those that have these weird/insane issues are newb installers, not optimal conditions, other components bought online unauthorized, self installed....just makes troubleshooting things so **** more difficult:ponder:

Ruffy
09-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Havent had the time to swap crossovers but I will do that today. I tried swapping my rca's since that was a 2 minute thing, same issue so it's not that. I have to check voltages all around again. Not looking foward to hearing a 1khz sine wave with audio almost at max though.

bholtmeier
09-22-2006, 07:34 PM

I think he just said that because he was going to try and swap the crossovers, and if it was in the door it'd be a ***** and a half to just check something....as opposed to where it was mounted on the door it'd be about 10x easier.

filtor1
09-22-2006, 09:28 PM

Mainly due to excessive vibration caused to the component when a door is closed over and over. Someone here not too long ago was pissed b/c his crossovers were falling apart. The boards were actually breaking. It was due to the crossovers being mounted in the doors. Along with the constant threat to the crossovers due to slamming the doors, there is the issue of the elements, mainly water intrusion. These 2 reasons alone should be enough to find a better location.

Pr0d1gy
09-23-2006, 12:04 AM
" Think I found out whats wrong with my SLC's"

They're made by Rainbow? :laugh:

6spdcoupe
09-23-2006, 12:06 AM
" Think I found out whats wrong with my SLC's"

They're made by Rainbow? :laugh:

Look who the thread dumper is..Especially coming from someone with NO experience whatsoever with the product. Nice.

Pr0d1gy
09-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Look who the thread dumper is..Especially coming from someone with NO experience whatsoever with the product. Nice.

It was supposed to be a joke, you really need to get over yourself. And while we're at it I have noticed an increased number of what's wrong with my rainbows threads lately, so you need to worry about that instead of getting all bent out of shape over a silly joke. Back to my ignore list you go....:rolleyes:

Ruffy
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
well I checked my voltage and both channels held strong. So I swapped crossovers and the problem moved over to the right side. Opened up the crossover and discovered something. The tweeter protection bulb was going nuts. While playing music loud the left side would stay fairly steady if the music was steady. The one on the bad crossover was pulsing on and off randomly.

Poked the bulb and it came out of its socket!. Put it back in and tightened down the screws that are supposed to hold it in and problem went away. Seems it was a loose connection on the tweeter protection.

Still lacks the kick I want. But sounds a lot better.

headless
09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
How about that - a loose screw! Funny how small the things can be that cause such extensive problems. Germaniums for the kick imo ;)

Ruffy
09-25-2006, 11:34 AM
How about that - a loose screw! Funny how small the things can be that cause such extensive problems. Germaniums for the kick imo ;)

cant afford them. Although they do look pretty.

I have to do something with my tweeters. they're on axis right now. aimed at my ears like laser beams. Very harsh like this.

FoxPro5
09-25-2006, 12:24 PM
It was supposed to be a joke, you really need to get over yourself. And while we're at it I have noticed an increased number of what's wrong with my rainbows threads lately, so you need to worry about that instead of getting all bent out of shape over a silly joke. Back to my ignore list you go....:rolleyes:

As little as one (1) year ago it was almost RARE to see someone with Rainbow speakers in their sig, starting threads and asking questions about them, etc. Now, you see a SLC thread nearly every day!! Those who are buying speakers (at least is seems to me) are first time comp users who have little to no experience with the product. Kind of like you!! If you hear hoofbeats, do you think horses or zebras!?!??!

Can I be on your ignore list too....:p::p::p::p::p::p:

3.5Max6spd
09-25-2006, 12:37 PM
cant afford them. Although they do look pretty.

I have to do something with my tweeters. they're on axis right now. aimed at my ears like laser beams. Very harsh like this.

Yes, those domes shine off axis and offer a smoother response that way.

Ruffy
09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes, those domes shine off axis and offer a smoother response that way.

so you think I should upgrade to different tweets then?

Right now they're mounted like this. In the stock tweeter housing modded in
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/300m_Ruffy/Audio/Component%20Speakers/100_2519.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/300m_Ruffy/Audio/Component%20Speakers/100_2515.jpg

Quite frankly they're too harsh even at -6dB

FoxPro5
09-25-2006, 01:15 PM

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/300m_Ruffy/Audio/Component%20Speakers/100_2519.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/300m_Ruffy/Audio/Component%20Speakers/100_2515.jpg

Is it possible to aim them more off axis (ie not at your head)?

Did you try wiring them out of phase with the mids?

gl0ck
09-25-2006, 01:24 PM
i wasnt 100% on my slcs either untill i jumped to 180w per pair and moved the tweeters to where my stock tweets were. no they are ****.

superdooperman
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Why not grab yourself a roll of 3M double sided tape, and position them all over till you get the sound you want? I never understand people just throwing things in a car without testing, especially tweeters where placement can mean nice crisp sound or an ear bleeding rusty nail on a chalk board sound.

Id suggest going just over the speaker grill in the car door, as I did with my car.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Accordman/Picture007.jpg

This way, their off axis and not pointing at your head, IMO it should yield a better stage and shouldnt be soo harsh.

I still think the gain is too high, especially if their still that loud at -6db.

3.5Max6spd
09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
As FoxPro suggests..I would definitly try reverse polarity wire of both tweets - Not sure if the SLC ownrs manual suggests this, but i have seen it in other Rainbow manuals if you choose to mount them away from the mid. I can see this taking some edge away. But other than say a large format/poor off axis home audio tweet, theres really no need to have a compact dome directly on axis like that.

Also noticed your midbass is located rather high in the door. You may be experiencing boost from your cabin/ locations in the 1k-4k range- this is the area where the ears perceive as harsh, are most sensitive to. Do you have anyway to adjust the trebble?

Ruffy
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Is it possible to aim them more off axis (ie not at your head)?

Did you try wiring them out of phase with the mids?

havent tried out of phase. Dont like placement elsewhere. when I first installed them I had them on the dash. still was harsh. I tried taping them in various places. still was harsh so I just set it to -6dB and placed it there. Maybe my hearings just sensetive. The stock tweets were also harsh to me.

My factory stereo has a 3 slider eq. I set the treble down to barely tolerable levels. Yeah my speaker locations is high and to the middle compared to other cars. And the speaker doesnt mount to the metal door frame at all. It mounts on the plastic door panel. If you take one of the mids out you'll see a flat sheet area of Damplifier. theres no real "pocket" for the speaker to go into.

3.5Max6spd
09-25-2006, 04:27 PM
My factory stereo has a 3 slider eq. I set the treble down to barely tolerable levels. Yeah my speaker locations is high and to the middle compared to other cars. And the speaker doesnt mount to the metal door frame at all. It mounts on the plastic door panel. If you take one of the mids out you'll see a flat sheet area of Damplifier. theres no real "pocket" for the speaker to go into.

Yeah. that kinda *****. No ideal baffle for the mids. Have you considered kicks? Have you looked into other peoples custom setups using your car? Take look in soundomain members rides and see if you run into a good solution.

Pr0d1gy
09-25-2006, 04:33 PM
As little as one (1) year ago it was almost RARE to see someone with Rainbow speakers in their sig, starting threads and asking questions about them, etc. Now, you see a SLC thread nearly every day!! Those who are buying speakers (at least IT seems to me) are first time comp users who have little to no experience with the product. Kind of like you!! If you hear hoofbeats, do you think horses or zebras!?!??!

Can I be on your ignore list too....:p::p::p::p::p::p:

Sure if you really need to be. Fixed your little error there for you too while I bothered reading your post. Oh and Fox, yeah I'm new to the whole speakers thing, could you please teach me with your great wisdom & obviously overwhelming intelligence, please? :rolleyes:

Ruffy, maybe you could try adding the egg crate material behind the speakers in the stock location as is suggested in the deadening thread on the other board. Good luck man, from all reports the Rainbows do sound pretty good to most when mounted correctly.

superdooperman
09-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Running the factory deck? How do you have the amps wired then, using high level inputs? Perhaps this is a factor in the harshness of the tweeters?

I know most factory stereos arent the greatest, and high level inputs can lead to a higher noise floor, possibily effecting the tweeters?

Dunno, just something else to look into.

CBRworm
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
The factory deck is probably overemphasizing the treble to make up for poor factory tweeters crossed high.

Ruffy
09-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Running the factory deck? How do you have the amps wired then, using high level inputs? Perhaps this is a factor in the harshness of the tweeters?

I know most factory stereos arent the greatest, and high level inputs can lead to a higher noise floor, possibily effecting the tweeters?

Dunno, just something else to look into.

High level to LOC to amp

I plan on using a carPC or a real headunit soon. Currently fabricating a bezel for a touchscreen.

superdooperman
09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
High level to LOC to amp

I plan on using a carPC or a real headunit soon. Currently fabricating a bezel for a touchscreen.

I almost guarantee thats the problem then. You probably have your volume on the deck too high, thus clipping its signal before it gets to the amp. Factor in the high level inputs and im sure thats the case.

Try turning your factory volume lower, then setting the gains on the amps again.