PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" separates - Most crankin', poundin' ones out there?

E368
09-19-2006, 01:44 AM
I am looking for a set of loud, punchy, deep and strong 6.5" separates that will be the only speakers in my car other than some poor quality rear fill. These things have to crank to overpower my loud exhaust and road noise :crazy:

I will be using a Nak CD400 headunit and powering the front separates with an Alpine PDX 4.150 (150watts x 2 or 300watts x 2 bridged). I listen to rock, pop, country, etc so these don't have to be the most delicate sounding speakers ever made.

What are my best options. I am willing to spend up to $500.

khail19
09-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Boston Z6 or Pros, give them 300w per side and you should be happy.

heyman421
09-19-2006, 02:04 AM
install's the important thing.

there's an install sticky in the speakers section.

a good comp set + bad install = good tweeters, and no sound from the mids

E368
09-19-2006, 02:10 AM

I have never seen the Z6s before but boy are they expensive! Are they really that good? Are they better than the boutique brand speakers in the same price range, such as DLS and Focal?

E368
09-19-2006, 02:20 AM
install's the important thing.

there's an install sticky in the speakers section.

a good comp set + bad install = good tweeters, and no sound from the mids

Point taken :) Any Cliff notes for installing the mids in the kicks of a BMW 3 series?

Also, the real selling point of the Z6s is they claim to play down to 40Hz. Is this marketing hype or will these things really play that low? Most of the other 6.5s I am looking at only advertise a range down to 60Hz or so. Since these are the only speakers in my car play the low-range is very important to me.

JimJ
09-19-2006, 02:29 AM
Extremis + BG Neo 3's...

:D

Towncar
09-19-2006, 04:15 AM
exile xtecs

Makaveli7haDon
09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
for the OP, with that power i would get the new CDT HD62 with tw25 tweeters. i am running them right now at 180x2rms and its loud as hell, good sound quality too. if u want speakers that wang...im also planning to get the JBL c608gti. look it up, it has a beefy mid that has a voicecoil larger than 8 inch subs!

nVRuckus
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM

pimp

gl0ck
09-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Rainbow slc's with 220w per side.......

E368
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the feedback to my question. I need to buy these speakers ASAP so this info is very useful. Here is the current selection...

-Boston Z6 (Seem like the cat's *** but they are a bit more than I wanted to spend)
-Boston Pro60 (are they any good? they don't look very exciting but what do I know ?!?!)
-Rainbow slc's (never heard them but I know they have a good reputation)
-CDT HD62 with tw25 tweeters (never heard of them. Are they high-end?)
-Extremis + BG Neo 3's (totally lose me here! what are these?)
-MB Quart Q's (I had Quarts years ago and liked them. This must be there top series?)

What about my previous comment about how low they can play? The Boston Z6s is rated to 40Hz which seems mighty low...if it is true.

Ruffy
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Rainbow slc's with 220w per side.......

sounds like way too much power fo them. I'm running them off 100watts rms and they hurt. Plus a tweeter came blown.

Intercooler
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
The CDT M-6 is supposedly a better 6.5" driver than the HD-6. I have them here but not installed yet. They do 40 also and supposedly pound like what you want $199.00 on sale now.

ace_800
09-19-2006, 01:17 PM

x2, I'm pushing the Pro 60's with a Zapco at 90rms and they can easily take more. Nice clean, loud sound. Love'em

Towncar
09-19-2006, 01:22 PM
for the OP, with that power i would get the new CDT HD62 with tw25 tweeters. i am running them right now at 180x2rms and its loud as hell, good sound quality too. if u want speakers that wang...im also planning to get the JBL c608gti. look it up, it has a beefy mid that has a voicecoil larger than 8 inch subs!

The jbls have good midbass, but imo they dont sound very good at all. Midrange just isnt there.

E368
09-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I am mostly satisfied that either the MB Q series, Boston Z6 or Boston Pro60 is the way to go for my needs. The next problem is that no local dealers sell these. Can anyone suggest a good online source that offers both good prices and good service?

Thanks

FoxPro5
09-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I am mostly satisfied that either the MB Q series, Boston Z6 or Boston Pro60 is the way to go for my needs. The next problem is that no local dealers sell these. Can anyone suggest a good online source that offers both good prices and good service?

Thanks

Well you have some choices for authorized online dealers.

Tweeter.com and Crutchfield.com sell Boston, but don't expect a price break. Cructch has the best service out there IMO. Not sure if you can get the Pros or the Z's there. You can at Tweeter, but I don't know if they will ship those items.

You also have SoundDomain.com and CarToys.com. CarToys sells JL Audio, Focal, and Eclipse and is authorized to ship I believe. SD has good prices, a good selection and a price match guarantee, and they carry MB Quart now that they were bougth out by Maxxsonics. CarToys will match a price by 105% as well.

Other comp sets to consider are OZ Audio Matrix Elite, Kicker SS, Seas Lotus Performance, and Alpine Type X.

6spdcoupe
09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/static/products/speakers/231489.jpg

6spdcoupe
09-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Profi Kick.

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/static/products/speakers/231489.jpg

80INCHES
09-19-2006, 02:42 PM
i can sell u my stock 5x7 whizzers...6spdcoupe ...slammed ..3.5max...dalucifer and a few others heard them and was slightly impressed

E368
09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Profi Kick.

Are these the famous Rainbow speakers? Where do I buy a set?

I should add that I have a set of Alpine Type-X SPX-177A 6.5" and Adire Koda 6.5" that I can use but I am looking around to see if there are better options out there. If it isn't worth spending $500 over top of what I have then I'll save my money :P

6spdcoupe
09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
i can sell u my stock 5x7 whizzers...6spdcoupe ...slammed ..3.5max...dalucifer and a few others heard them and was slightly impressed

I lawled :D

6spdcoupe
09-19-2006, 03:01 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/goatboy_521/rainbow.jpg

Theres a just cause to every boner tho. ;)

jluv
09-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I have the Pro 60s running acticve, with around 225w going to each mid and 75w to each tweet. My doors are also deadened fairly well. They are LOUD.

Just curious - why are you willing to spend $500, but not willing to get a sub? You will literally miss out on a big part of your music.

6spdcoupe
09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
in the case of that guy, fat girls on a naughty chat line?

:D

He could be thinkin bout the lil boy in front of him....

E368
09-19-2006, 03:16 PM
I have the Pro 60s running acticve, with around 225w going to each mid and 75w to each tweet. My doors are also deadened fairly well. They are LOUD.

Good to know. The Pro 60s look good and are quite a bit less than the Z6s. I wonder if they are better than the Alpine Type-X?

Just curious - why are you willing to spend $500, but not willing to get a sub? You will literally miss out on a big part of your music.

Great question :) My car is a very focused performance car and I don't want to add any weight to it. I don't expect people to understand why I can't add 20lbs but this is how I am doing it. Sooooo, I need to get the best sound possible with just the front components and the stock rear fill.

khail19
09-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd get the Pros over the Alpines, just based on you description of what you are looking for. Loud, clean and punchy, and as an added benefit they aren't very deep either, easier to squeeze in your doors. I wish more people had the Exile Xtecs, they seem to be in the same category as the Pros, but can be had cheaper.

jluv
09-19-2006, 04:24 PM
My car is a very focused performance car and I don't want to add any weight to it. I don't expect people to understand why I can't add 20lbs but this is how I am doing it. Sooooo, I need to get the best sound possible with just the front components and the stock rear fill.

I can understand that. I've owned/built a few fast Mustangs, and can appreciate the quest for weight reduction if you are taking it to the track. What kind of car is it?

If you are serious about being lighter, then ditch the rear fill altogether. In fact, if it is so purpose-built for speed, who needs a radio at all? Or a rear seat? Or interior panels? Or factory sound deadening?

If it's not quite that extreme, you could always get a single 8" in a small box and bolt it directly over the rear axle (I'm assuming this is a RWD/front engine car).

Just a suggestion. But hey, if you can live without bass, more power to ya. I think you will like the Boston Pros.

Towncar
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/slc72005/mac2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/slc72005/mac1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/slc72005/mac9.jpg

:yumyum:

khail19
09-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Have you installed and listened to them yet? I know they look nice, I want to know how they sound.

Towncar
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Have you installed and listened to them yet? I know they look nice, I want to know how they sound.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181306

khail19
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181306

Nice, what amp are you running them on?

Towncar
09-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice, what amp are you running them on?

xenon 200.2 for the moment

Rochambeau
09-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I am about to do the Pro60s with the same amp, bridged to 300WX2... If ya got a couple of weeks I can report back. Word from everyone is though, including the Boston customer service, is to use their crossover (it's a fine crossover I am told) and bridge that amp to power up the Pro60s. It is said that they will enjoy the extra power much more than they will enjoy the active cross.

As far as the Z6s, they can be had online waaaay below the retail price. I likely woulda done that 'cept I am having the entire system installed and didn't wanna have it delivered without speaks and as it happened the installer is a Boston dealer. Plus I already blew my budget so I will have to save for a bit to get them, switch the Pro60s to the rear and put them in myself.

addisdar
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Point taken :) Any Cliff notes for installing the mids in the kicks of a BMW 3 series?

Also, the real selling point of the Z6s is they claim to play down to 40Hz. Is this marketing hype or will these things really play that low? Most of the other 6.5s I am looking at only advertise a range down to 60Hz or so. Since these are the only speakers in my car play the low-range is very important to me.

There are many that play that or lower. Hell, the OZ play down to 32.

Towncar
09-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I could really care less if a speaker claims to play down to 40 or not. The install is going to determine that. Furthermore, the subs will be taking care of those frequencies.

addisdar
09-20-2006, 12:08 AM
I could really care less if a speaker claims to play down to 40 or not. The install is going to determine that. Furthermore, the subs will be taking care of those frequencies.

That is very true. I have mine crossed at 80hz.

Just pointing that the claim to fame was not that part. Many brands can play that low.

addisdar
09-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Towncar,

how do you like the comps you have? I am trying to find something not to pricey for a friend.

Towncar
09-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Towncar,

how do you like the comps you have? I am trying to find something not to pricey for a friend.

They are great. You will be shocked when you hear them for the price standpoint. This set will definately hold their own with other high end sets. I was originally going to go with something that the shop carries, but I wanted to be different, and im glad I was. Now i just need to get my new amps in:D

Makaveli7haDon
09-20-2006, 08:37 AM
The jbls have good midbass, but imo they dont sound very good at all. Midrange just isnt there.

hey towncar, so i shouldn't get the gti comps? how do they compare to the hd62 tho?

Towncar
09-20-2006, 12:36 PM
hey towncar, so i shouldn't get the gti comps? how do they compare to the hd62 tho?

They do decent for rap music, but the midrange is considerably lacking compared to some others. Its an ok set though. I Haven't heard the hd62's.

3.5Max6spd
09-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Most speaker will play that low unfiltered, the question is with how much distortion? Frequency response of a driver in not an indicator of what the drivers resonant frequency is- of which many drivers cannot even reproduce cleanly in a non optimal IB configuration.

People need to jump off the cloud that a 6" driver can reproduce subbass well. They are midbasses and require a highpass w/ appropriate slope or you will damage the driver over time.

Those speaks look nice, good luck with them.

suleman36
09-20-2006, 03:24 PM
CDT M6 midbass with the DRT 25 tweeters and 560 crossovers.

jluv
09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I am about to do the Pro60s with the same amp, bridged to 300WX2... If ya got a couple of weeks I can report back. Word from everyone is though, including the Boston customer service, is to use their crossover (it's a fine crossover I am told) and bridge that amp to power up the Pro60s. It is said that they will enjoy the extra power much more than they will enjoy the active cross.

I wouldn't say that's the word from "everyone". I got the same answer from the guys at Boston, and I'm sure their crossovers are great. In fact, I am using them on my rear speakers because one of the crappy ones from JL took a dump. I just have the amps and processing to do it better actively up front, so I did.

Rochambeau
09-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't say that's the word from "everyone". I got the same answer from the guys at Boston, and I'm sure their crossovers are great. In fact, I am using them on my rear speakers because one of the crappy ones from JL took a dump. I just have the amps and processing to do it better actively up front, so I did.

Of course, you are right and I am glad you called me on it.

What I should have said was "everyone I have asked". To state it the way I did was misleading as it intimates that no other differing opinions exist out there, a statement I am clearly not in a position to make.

As a matter of fact, with the system I am putting in, I am intentionally making it easily flexible with the stackable amps so that I can try such things in the future.

Seriously, thanks for pointing that out. :)

omarmipi
09-22-2006, 02:52 AM
Check this 6.5" out... Mpyre 65X (http://www.mpyreaudio.com/65x0.htm)

Bake
09-22-2006, 04:18 AM
There is (or was) a new in the box set of Boston Pro 60s for like $330.00 shipped I think in the classifieds. If you want Bostons I would think that price would be hard to beat. And yes, they will get crazy loud and sound good doing it. If those are sold, pm Blue, he is a cool guy and will hook you up on Boston products.