PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of the CDT M6?

KojiroTakenashi
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm kind of curious as to their logic with this thing...sure, it's the bess bass response ever out of a 6 incher, but to GET that response, you need to have it in a box!

For the amount of money and the amount of work involved, isn't one of their subs simply "cheaper", both money and install-wise? I'm kind of failing to see the logic there...

tuck05
09-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Pics??

Also, if this is a door speaker. Which I am assuming it is b/c it is in the speaker section of the site. I've seen ppl who sealed up their entire door and made a sort of enclosure out of it using MDF...I've even seen ported doors. lol I looked for the link but unable to find it. It was a car on car domain that had them done to it.

Railrocker
09-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Some vehicles dont have room for a sub. Or the people who drive it need the trunk for something else like strollers or tools.

KojiroTakenashi
09-18-2006, 10:43 PM
http://cdtaudio.com/m6_midbase_driver.htm

KojiroTakenashi
09-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Some vehicles dont have room for a sub. Or the people who drive it need the trunk for something else like strollers or tools.

If you've got the need for strollers, then why do you have the need for a bass response down to 10hz? What, you want to kill your baby?

Edit: Oh, and according to the spec sheet, optimum response takes a box size roughly that of an 8 incher...Although I suppose turning the door into the box is more to the point.

alteraudiousa
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
its designed as a better midbass response driver than the HD-6 or ES-600 give. It can have the same range a larger 8in driver gets. Its quite nice as I'm using a set.

KojiroTakenashi
09-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Well...I mean the range of response looks nice and shiny, but is the accuracy of that response as good as or better than the other drivers? I mean, the thing sure is a good few dB less sensitive...

Railrocker
09-19-2006, 12:01 AM
If you've got the need for strollers, then why do you have the need for a bass response down to 10hz? What, you want to kill your baby?

Edit: Oh, and according to the spec sheet, optimum response takes a box size roughly that of an 8 incher...Although I suppose turning the door into the box is more to the point.

Just because you want freq response down low doesnt mean you have to play it super loud. Im thinking these are made for a sq setup not spl :fyi:

People with kids still enjoy good sound.

KojiroTakenashi
09-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Just because you want freq response down low doesnt mean you have to play it super loud. Im thinking these are made for a sq setup not spl :fyi:

People with kids still enjoy good sound.

I was talking about SQ.

About the kids, I'd think subsonic frequencies would be dangerous to a baby or small child, considering that 11hz is actually capable of sending most people into convulsions...or at least give them some pretty serious nausea.

Railrocker
09-19-2006, 12:05 AM
I dont think your right on that isnt 10hz inaudible. At 10 Hz the sub would be barely pumping you could count the strokes.

KojiroTakenashi
09-19-2006, 12:16 AM
It registers as inaudible, but that doesn't mean you can't still *feel* it. After roughly 25hz, bass tends to become something you feel with your sense of touch. The 11hz thing is...wierd. Does something with your brain/nervous system, is my understanding. It's the basis of the "Sick Sticks" from that movie Minority Report.

Edit: Again, I wouldn't want anything under 25hz to be going through a kid anyway. The sound waves aren't going to just disappear because you can't hear them.

apw122
09-19-2006, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=KojiroTakenashi;2240269]If you've got the need for strollers, then why do you have the need for a bass response down to 10hz? What, you want to kill your baby?

Just because people have children doesn't mean you can have a nice system, you just don't play it when they are in the car. I always turn my sub off when my daughter is in the car. But on my way to work or school, thats when you can let it go full tilt.

KojiroTakenashi
09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
True, but how would you 'turn off' the low notes on the M6 if it was set up in a conventional midwoofer setup?

T3mpest
09-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Sure 11hz at 130 decibels might hurt you, but even a standard driver has SOME output at 11hz, it may only be a decibel, or fraction of one, but there's still output. In this case a M6 has enough bass to integrate into frontstage, without the need for a sub in a SQ setup, a far cry from enough to hurt a child..........

WhoSayWho?
09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
My understanding is that this thing has already hurt a lot of small children.

mattmcss
09-19-2006, 06:18 PM
haha, oooh jeebus i feel so much dumber now than 5 minutes ago.

WLDock
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
True, but how would you 'turn off' the low notes on the M6 if it was set up in a conventional midwoofer setup?

Are you serious? Is this talk really necessary? You guys are joking right?

I can have a system with 3000 watts and 2 18" subs and still play the system with a newborn, 2 year old, or 5 year old in the car. Head units and amps are just GAIN CONTROLS! Just turn down the volume and all will be OK ;)
Just think, we take our kids to church...and some of the pipe organs can get pretty low...down into the felt range. Even the religious and gospel crowd need the low notes. :D