PDA

View Full Version : Computer, sound system, home theatre...

Trixter
09-18-2006, 02:35 PM
hopefully you can follow the way i want to do this...hopefully i can type it so you can...lol

in my basement i have three sets of dayton inwall speakers, each with a volume control, and an RL-p 12. everything running off a mackie 1400i. my computer is hooked to the amp and acts as the main souce unit. i am looking at getting a 42" plasma and a surround set up to go with it (center and surround speakers and tuner/reciever). two of the wall speakers i currently have will be used as the mains and the RL-p will be the sub. i already have a pair of dayton surround speakers, for the rear, and a dayton center channel picked out. again, the computer will be the main source for movies, all audio going through the home theatre amp/tuner (don't have yet). now what would be the best way to do this? a buddy of mine was helping me brainstorm about ideas and senarios. is there a sort of "break box" my computer can have all outputs go into and then, with comands from the computer, go on their way to want ever i tell the computer to do? example: i can tell the computer i want to watch a movie and it will know to shut off 4 of the wall speakers, change two of them into the mains turn on the center and surround channel through the home theatre amp and send video to the tv. when i want to jam out and party, it will turn everything to the correct mode to do so. i just don't want to have a bank of a/b switches and volume controls....it would end up looking like it's form and old star trek counsel.

any help apprecaited.

Beat_Dominator
09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if that were out there, it would be some kind of switch that is software controlled. If it does exist I bet it's pricy :(

Scoobydoo
09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
you can do all that with a pronto remote control with a home theater pc

check out the home theater pc section at avs forums

JimJ
09-18-2006, 03:56 PM
it would end up looking like it's form and old star trek counsel.

More controls = louder :fyi:

:)

Trixter
09-18-2006, 04:02 PM
More controls = louder :fyi:

:)

damit, jim, i do car audio, not HT!

so you say more controls would be louder? how about clarity and everything else? would i be better off making my own panel?

JimJ
09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
:hilariou:

I'm messing with you :fyi:

I'm sure you can do it with an HTPC, but I'm a two channel guy so I can't help you :)

Trixter
09-18-2006, 04:10 PM

I'm sure you can do it with an HTPC, but I'm a two channel guy so I can't help you :)

yeah, the same here. it would probably be easier and cheaper to build a switch panel. but with everything else i have into my basement project, i'd really like everything to be pretty much state-of-the-art.

i'm checking around on the avs forums in a little bit.

ballstothewall
09-18-2006, 05:32 PM

2 ch FTMFW