PDA

View Full Version : 150 dB box....

Kenny Pollock
09-18-2006, 02:23 AM
My current box takes up 95% of my trunk, and I'm looking to reconstruct it. Going to be working on it with forceofwill (Tom), iamamp3pimp (Robin), nVRuckus (Mario)... it's going to be crazy.

Anyways, when Robin and I did the box we were both under the impression that I would never compete and that I would have a ******* daily driver box. Well, it became a ******* daily driver box, and I've been taking it to little car shop shows.

I'm going to soon get involved with dB Drag and I want to pwn these local competitions.. so a box rebuild is imminent. Currently it's 10 cubes tuned to 30hz. Sub on top firing up, port on top in the back of the box.

Looking for any ideas/suggestions of a better box, one that can serve as an awesome daily driver and SPL box.

SPL140.2
09-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Trunk cars 1)pain in the @ss 2) 3db lower than hatches/suvs/X-cab trucks 3)fun

I found that in trunks, the best ways for spl is

1) subs, port all facing foward, pushed all the way back to the trunk lid with the port on drivers side, example of the box, sub/sub/port.

2) subs, port all facing forward sealed off completly, from the trunk, some people gain more with the port in the middle so you may want to build a few test enclosures. Again sub/sub/port this will change the burping frequency from the way mentioned above

3) a crx style box, with subs facing up and 2 6" aeroports or 4 4" aeroports facing the side of the trunk. The box pushed all the way to the right and the ports shooting on the left of the trunk.

The #1 mentioned above works best for me, I gained 3db from pushing the box all the way back than having it right up to the folding back seats. Make sure you have enough juice for your trunk depending on organization use extra batts, or high output alts. Give the box a larger port if you have the room. Hope this helps

egg

ngsm13
09-18-2006, 02:54 AM
You need more power.

I would do a small pressure box, 4-5cubes NET with 4-6 4" AeroPorts. Sub and port 90degrees from each other...

nG

btnhfan
09-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Definatley a much, much smaller box.

My 2 12s were loudest in like 3 cubes net.

80INCHES
09-18-2006, 06:20 AM
or do a 4th order bandpass with 250 square inch port on the rear deck

mazdakid
09-18-2006, 07:37 AM
no bandpass

nVRuckus
09-18-2006, 08:24 AM
He is running a 18" BTL before someone asks. an IA 20.1 amp and currently his trunk it sealed off from the cab with a piece of factory metal behind the seat with MDF and 2 amps mounted to that metal. I say he need to cut that steal out to gain dB into the cab but someone told him it wont make that much of a difference. currently only air going from trunk to cab is the 2 6x 9 holes in the rear deck. Also he is tuned to like about 32Hz he says currently which i think needs to be changed. What range should we look for tuning for SPL on a BTL? 40-45hz tuning?

80INCHES
09-18-2006, 08:31 AM
no bandpass

and y not
he can have a daily box and at the same time have it tuned to it can peak around the cars frequency so he can hit higher numbers

vetkilr
09-18-2006, 08:34 AM
no bandpass

your gonna get in trouble:laugh:

Johnny Drama
09-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Definatly try sub and port firing to the side of the car if possible. If not, try sub up and port to side. Perferably passanger side.

saywhat?
09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
i would try either port side and sub front towards seats. or sub up, ports side. or all towards seats walled off from teh trunk. whoever told him "un sealing" his trunk wouldnt do anything....is retarded. if he can unbolt his seat back, he can lower them i believe, and it be legal in any organization. as long as they are still hinged.

saywhat?
09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
also, make it as SQUARE as possible, and 45 the corners with wood or resin.

ramos
09-18-2006, 11:34 AM
He is running a 18" BTL before someone asks. an IA 20.1 amp and currently his trunk it sealed off from the cab with a piece of factory metal behind the seat with MDF and 2 amps mounted to that metal. I say he need to cut that steal out to gain dB into the cab but someone told him it wont make that much of a difference. currently only air going from trunk to cab is the 2 6x 9 holes in the rear deck. Also he is tuned to like about 32Hz he says currently which i think needs to be changed. What range should we look for tuning for SPL on a BTL? 40-45hz tuning?

Sounds similar to a problem Denim is having with the benzs trunk of death . I would think numbers would go up with the removal of some of the metal as well . Numbers go up when seats are laid down :)

9512ds
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
you should cut out that metal, and make the seat fold down and up with a litle custom work

nVRuckus
09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
well thats what I want to do for SPL, bass race he wont need to remove the seat he will just do 139 class and turn it down ;) He is currently taking firsts in his SPL class here but we want to break the local record of 149.9 ;) some crazy *** CRX hit 163 yesterday I was like holy ****. They guy decided to hold the meter in place in the car and when the owner burped it I think he **** himself LMAO.

pimpedout97x
09-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Anyways, when Robin and I did the box we were both under the impression that I would never compete and that I would have a ******* daily driver box. Well, it became a ******* daily driver box, and I've been taking it to little car shop shows.

lol robin told me exactly that last night on the phone...cuase i said the same thing about when we build my wall for the 4 15" mts:laugh:

nVRuckus
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
lol robin told me exactly that last night on the phone...cuase i said the same thing about when we build my wall for the 4 15" mts:laugh:

huh? what he thought a wall of 4 15" MTs were for DD? :laugh: If you dont compete with them you dont deserve to have em and should give me one.

Flipx99
09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
You cut out that metal and it may place you in a different class. It did me.

pimpedout97x
09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
right now i dont have any plans of really getting into competing or anything, for now its gonna be just loud *** daily...im sure ill get into it, but prally not til i finish school, and i just started college...

tommyk90
09-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Also, a very well known fact is that the uglier the box, the louder it is. :)

So don't try to make it look all pretty with carpeting, it'll eat the dB's.....seriously.

And, duct tape...LOTS of duct tape.

forceofwill
09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
No one told him that opening up the trunk more into the cabin wouldn't help him, of course it would. But cutting out the metal behind the seats isn't going to help a ton if the seats are still going to be in place anyway. His seats don't fold down stock, so he has to keep them in place for Street classes. You start cutting out a whole bunch of metal and A) It's permanant structural damage to the car, B) They could very well bump him up classes, to like SS where he would get dominated by the 160+ people.

For his car, I think it is just best to do the best that we can for Street C type classes. This is his DD, so he'll still have backseats and if he ever needs to sell the car, he'll be able to.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the height to fire the sub any way but up. I was thinking about doing sub up port side, trying left first and cutting the volume in half.

tommyk90
09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
No one told him that opening up the trunk more into the cabin wouldn't help him, of course it would. But cutting out the metal behind the seats isn't going to help a ton if the seats are still going to be in place anyway. His seats don't fold down stock, so he has to keep them in place for Street classes. You start cutting out a whole bunch of metal and A) It's permanant structural damage to the car, B) They could very well bump him up classes, to like SS where he would get dominated by the 160+ people.

For his car, I think it is just best to do the best that we can for Street C type classes. This is his DD, so he'll still have backseats and if he ever needs to sell the car, he'll be able to.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the height to fire the sub any way but up. I was thinking about doing sub up port side, trying left first and cutting the volume in half.

I know that in MECA you can unbolt the backseat part as if the car came from the factory with a folding rear seat. I'm not sure about other org's though.

Flipx99
09-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I know that in MECA you can unbolt the backseat part as if the car came from the factory with a folding rear seat. I'm not sure about other org's though.

x2 I know in usaci this holds as well.

I repeat about not cutting.

forceofwill
09-18-2006, 02:41 PM
That's good then. I was pretty sure I read that in DBDrag they wouldn't allow it unless it folded down stock. We'll definately move the amprack then, but I'm still against cutting away the metal.

iamamp3pimp
09-18-2006, 08:08 PM
i would try either port side and sub front towards seats. or sub up, ports side. or all towards seats walled off from teh trunk. whoever told him "un sealing" his trunk wouldnt do anything....is retarded. if he can unbolt his seat back, he can lower them i believe, and it be legal in any organization. as long as they are still hinged.

I was thinking that he should cut out the back, and the RD, but after talking with Tom (forceofwill) we both agree that it may help, but isnt exactly necessary

huh? what he thought a wall of 4 15" MTs were for DD? :laugh: If you dont compete with them you dont deserve to have em and should give me one.

they are for DD :FYI:

Pimped out 97 x was saying that he doesnt want to compete......i told him taht he will soon enough

That's good then. I was pretty sure I read that in DBDrag they wouldn't allow it unless it folded down stock. We'll definately move the amprack then, but I'm still against cutting away the metal.

as am i. I did it in my car though, so if it needs to be done, it can be.

gHOstFaCe
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
So, what are some of the ideas so far?

This is what I think needs to be done:

6-7cubes instead of 10cubes....more port area....Higher tuning around 40-45hz....and more power

That's what I think, but the design for it all is up to you guys.

iamamp3pimp
09-19-2006, 04:37 PM
I am working on one now.

We can get the sub in there firing to the rear FYI

nVRuckus
09-19-2006, 06:51 PM
they are for DD :FYI:

well he made it sound the opposite, it came out like he said you said the box is for DD and he wants to compete.

iamamp3pimp
09-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I know.

nah its a little misintrepretation, thats all

trust me, he will be competing.

lawl

baseballer1100
09-19-2006, 11:00 PM
I cant wait to see this ****. This ***** i want to compete.

pimpedout97x
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
trust me, he will be competing.

lawl

hey now...:p:

btw, i emailed my resume to CGS:D hopefully theyll hire me!

iamamp3pimp
09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
nice.

ill send tina an email tommor.

pm me to remind me

need ur full name

Flipx99
09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
I cant wait to see this ****. This ***** i want to compete.

You can, just try to find and org/class that works with what you got. I have always wanted to build a wall (which is why I joined this site to begin with) and now I have realistic plans to do so. Just put your mind to it, it can't be that hard.

Flipx99
09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
hey now...:p:

btw, i emailed my resume to CGS:D hopefully theyll hire me!

cgs?

snb778
09-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Trunk cars 1)pain in the @ss 2) 3db lower than hatches/suvs/X-cab trucks 3)fun

I found that in trunks, the best ways for spl is

1) subs, port all facing foward, pushed all the way back to the trunk lid with the port on drivers side, example of the box, sub/sub/port.

2) subs, port all facing forward sealed off completly, from the trunk, some people gain more with the port in the middle so you may want to build a few test enclosures. Again sub/sub/port this will change the burping frequency from the way mentioned above

3) a crx style box, with subs facing up and 2 6" aeroports or 4 4" aeroports facing the side of the trunk. The box pushed all the way to the right and the ports shooting on the left of the trunk.

The #1 mentioned above works best for me, I gained 3db from pushing the box all the way back than having it right up to the folding back seats. Make sure you have enough juice for your trunk depending on organization use extra batts, or high output alts. Give the box a larger port if you have the room. Hope this helps

egg

with a trunk car...its hard to seal off the box from the trunk if the box is all the way to the back of the car...unless its a huuge box

and where did you read that you get -3db for havin a trunk car....theres so many variables in that statement.

pimpedout97x
09-20-2006, 07:24 AM
cgs?

name of the place robin works at that im trying to get hired with:D

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Buying some 6" aeros today for the 150 dB box

gHOstFaCe
09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Are you getting the 40.1?

delvryboy
09-20-2006, 10:45 AM
i didn't read the whole thread, but you may want to consider a 15 instead of the 18....

iamamp3pimp
09-20-2006, 10:57 AM
he already has the 18

any specific reason though deliveryboy?

gHOstFaCe
09-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Easier for teh 15" to hit a higher freq. maybe??? Most of the SPL apps I see are burped @ 45hz or higher. I'm not sure if that is the reason he suggested it though.

JimJ
09-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I would say the 15" has smaller box requirements that makes it more flexible for a trunk install...trying to cram an 18" into a less-than-optimal enclosure is not going to be good, even with the apparent cone area advantage.

gHOstFaCe
09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I think Kenny has room for the 18". THe current box is too big IMO, which is why he is rebuilding. He has a 10cube box ATM and still had room for a battery and other stuff.

prochobo
09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Keep the 18" ONLY if you can rear/forward fire it. If you can't ditch it and get a 15" or 2 12"s (if you can fit the right box). Sub up, port wherever does not work well in trunks.

Throw cone area out the window, it's all in the install. I went from 2 12"s rear firing to 1 15" foward firing and gained a little. All in all, make sure you can fit the RIGHT box, not the LARGEST box.

delvryboy
09-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I would say the 15" has smaller box requirements that makes it more flexible for a trunk install...trying to cram an 18" into a less-than-optimal enclosure is not going to be good, even with the apparent cone area advantage.
hit the nail on the head :)

ngsm13
09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Also, there are plenty of drawbacks to having an 18 in a competition organization... especially in dBDrag Street Classes.

nG

iamamp3pimp
09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
interestin......

iin the end its up to Kenny, but i am sure he will end up sticking with the 18....

I tried to talk him out of it before i ever built the box.

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
I dont think he will be replacing the 18 and he has like 14cuft of trunk so I think he can handle the sub. Im just not sure on the size of the box we should shoot for. 5cuft seems like it may be good right? and he is gonna be running 6" flares not sure if he wants 2 or 4, but i think they should be external mounted to we can play with tuning.

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I know with dB Drag my 18 will be going against two 15s or four 12s, which *****... if I start getting really into dB Drag (just going to mess around and see how I compare) I will be going to route of two 15" BTLs... it's just double the money.

ngsm13
09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
A single 15 in StreetB would be an even better bet...

Hell, a Single BTL15... and two 20.1's... some time and testing...

EASY 150+ ;)

MT15 + 2HK4000d's + 1 weekend = 152.1 from me :)

And the 20.1's are stronger than the HK's...

nG

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 02:52 PM
A single 15 in StreetB would be an even better bet...

Hell, a Single BTL15... and two 20.1's... some time and testing...

EASY 150+ ;)

MT15 + 2HK4000d's + 1 weekend = 152.1 from me :)

And the 20.1's are stronger than the HK's...

nG

Hey kenny I will give you $300 right now for your 18 ;)

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
We're going to try and get a hold of a TermLab before we build the new box and see what works best.. and we're gonna try very hard to get the sub firing forward I think, but it's going to be VERY close.

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 09:29 PM
did you talk to bryan or tom yet kenny? neither replied to the thread.

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 09:30 PM
did you talk to bryan or tom yet kenny? neither replied to the thread.Tom doesn't have the money right now, but I think he said in a week or so he'll have some money.

Also: we're planning on doing some work to my car this weekend when you're out of town, PM me your address again and maybe I can swing by and grab those RCAs so we can put them in while the car's apart. Tell me what a good time is for you...

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Im home every day after 4PM and I leave friday after work for Orlando so tomorrow I think it has to be.
You need 250a fuses too right? How many?

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Im home every day after 4PM and I leave friday after work for Orlando so tomorrow I think it has to be.
You need 250a fuses too right? How many?I just needed a fuse holder and one more 250a fuse, but Knu has a special: buy the fuse holder and get a free fuse, so I'm good for now- thanks.

I appreciate it about the cables, I'll probably swing by tomorrow and pick them up alone... Jen and I are fighting over stupid **** now heh

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I just needed a fuse holder and one more 250a fuse, but Knu has a special: buy the fuse holder and get a free fuse, so I'm good for now- thanks.

I appreciate it about the cables, I'll probably swing by tomorrow and pick them up alone... Jen and I are fighting over stupid **** now heh

usually how it is

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Stfu

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 09:52 PM
You can DO itroffles

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 09:52 PM
dont incourage him

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
dont incourage himhaha

mazdakid
09-20-2006, 09:55 PM
you should be able to get the 18 forward, i got mine that way in my civic

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 09:56 PM
and we all know civic are so much like full size american cars

prochobo
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
and we all know civic are so much like full size american cars

No. The general stereotype is that Japanese cars are smaller than American cars. If he can fit an 18" foward firing into his trunk, then surely a big American car could. I wish I could fit an 18", but I can't :(

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
No. The general stereotype is that Japanese cars are smaller than American cars. If he can fit an 18" foward firing into his trunk, then surely a big American car could. I wish I could fit an 18", but I can't :(Warning, big pic: http://kennypollock.com/measurements/IMG_0746.JPG

It's 18" up to the weatherstripping in the trunk, so we're going to get more accurate measurements when we rebuild the box... the measurements could be different when you get into the trunk, so we'll see.

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 10:04 PM
No. The general stereotype is that Japanese cars are smaller than American cars. If he can fit an 18" foward firing into his trunk, then surely a big American car could. I wish I could fit an 18", but I can't :(

I have an 05 civic 2dr and the trunk is bigger than my 87 caprice was so I know better

prochobo
09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Warning, big pic: http://kennypollock.com/measurements/IMG_0746.JPG

It's 18" up to the weatherstripping in the trunk, so we're going to get more accurate measurements when we rebuild the box... the measurements could be different when you get into the trunk, so we'll see.

I think you'll be fine. When you actually put the box in the car, you would angle it a little bit and slide it on in. Then comes the issue of your box choking off the cabin.

nVRuckus
09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
choking it off? there is no entry now except the 6x9 holes LOL

mazdakid
09-20-2006, 10:19 PM
my 95 civic trunk is probably alot smaller than your civic trunk, kenny is the spare tire well right in the front by where the sub would go facing forward?

prochobo
09-20-2006, 10:24 PM
choking it off? there is no entry now except the 6x9 holes LOL

No fold down backseat?! Hell, good luck at a 150 and that's the truth. You can unbolt it, sure, but if you want to compete, that could bump you up a class or two where you could get royally pwnt.

Kenny Pollock
09-20-2006, 10:44 PM
No fold down backseat?! Hell, good luck at a 150 and that's the truth. You can unbolt it, sure, but if you want to compete, that could bump you up a class or two where you could get royally pwnt.Unbolt the seats and there is... metal!

my 95 civic trunk is probably alot smaller than your civic trunk, kenny is the spare tire well right in the front by where the sub would go facing forward?Spare tire well is right there :)

mazdakid
09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
so then you should have no problem fitting it in there forward, i can only get about 16" without the spare tire

Lakota
09-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Just wall it off and be done with it.

forceofwill
09-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Just wall it off and be done with it.

And then be in Stree Max 1-2 and compete with the 160-162 guys? :laugh:
Not to mention this is a daily driver. Robin is too, he's just hardcore. :cool: