PDA

View Full Version : Thompsons water seal on adapter rings?

SRim23
09-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Heard a thud everytime i opened and closed my door on my 05 honda civic so i decided to take the panel off to see what it was. turns out the mdf adapters made for the 6.5 inch mid were all messed up looked as if moisture had gotten to it and needless to say the mdf looked like cardboard it was so bad

my question is would it be ok to coat the new ones i am going to make with thompsons water seal? is this going to fix my problem could it damage my mid at all?

lilmaniac2
09-18-2006, 12:19 AM
i would do resin...

ssj2xxgotenxx
09-18-2006, 05:26 PM
i would do resin...

:iagree: but you should still locate the source of the problem so it doesn't happen agian. Although the resin will keep the water off the MDF, it means there is still water in the general location of your speakers. Speakers + water can't be good.

reneeb7363
09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
:iagree: but you should still locate the source of the problem so it doesn't happen agian. Although the resin will keep the water off the MDF, it means there is still water in the general location of your speakers. Speakers + water can't be good.

doorseals.... wire boots.....wiper (the peice of rubber that "scrapes" your window when you roll it down) all need to be checked and probably replaced. I have a '92 Prelude and have been doing exactly the same thing. Thank GAWD I dont have paper cones on my mids...but the rust and other prob's caused by the moisture is awefull. This is project you should do ASAP!

SRim23
09-20-2006, 02:08 AM
im not a car expert or anything but isnt moisture inside a car door normal? i mean its only sheet metal theres going to be some sort of condensation isnt there. besides its an 05 civic i doubt anything needs replaced. im not even positive that it was "moisture" that did it but by the way the wood was shredded like i said it looked like cardboard... maybe it was just cheap wood used but the other side is perfect so im not sure might just buy the prefab plastic ones and call it a day.....